Azure Resource Manager

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Resource Namespace Pollution

Currently, all resources (storage, redis, websites, etc.) require that I come up with a unique name for the service that will be suffixed by something related to the resource type. The naming restrictions on these varies but tends to be short and often disallows anything other than alphabetic characters.

After creating a handful of Azure resources, I quickly run into problems with coming up with new names for my resources that are meaningful yet not already taken by someone else. I am very close to just generating random character sequences for names and giving up on having them be usefully…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Deploy-AzureResourceGroup.ps1 relies on outdated AzureRM module instead of new AZ module

Azure Resource Group Visual Studio template generates Deploy-AzureResourceGroup.ps1 that relies on outdated PowerShell module - AzureRM. New module named AZ should be used.
    Also, this script doesn't contain a #Requires -Modules instruction for non default modules, which leads to errors in the middle of script execution for those, who already migrated to AZ module.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/azure/new-azureps-module-az?view=azps-2.4.0#continued-support-for-azurerm
    "The existing AzureRM module will no longer receive new cmdlets or features."

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

3. Add official support for API Management Service in ARM Templates

I would like to deploy an API Management Service using ARM Template. I managed to get it working but since the service takes about 30 min to activate the deployment, for some reason, will never change to "Succeeded" and the deployment script never finish.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Block peering across tenant

We have a feature to allow VNET peering across different tenants. However some cx need to disable this feature.

Please consider having a check box for cx to choose if they want to enable/ disable this feature. Or other workaround to help block this when they want to.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Azure search index ARM template support

It would be really great if Azure Resource Manager (ARM) JSON Templates supported Azure search index.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. ARM Template - Automate Azure Function Event Grid Subscription

Presently using ARM I can automate the creation of an Azure Function Subscriber that has a HTTP trigger.

"properties": {

"destination": {

"endpointType": "WebHook",
    "properties": {
    "endpointUrl": "[listsecrets(resourceId('Microsoft.Web/sites/functions', parameters('azurefunctions_name'), parameters('azurefunctions_loadTcsItemSubscription')),'2015-08-01').trigger_url]"
    }
    },
    "filter": {
    "includedEventTypes": [
    "All"
    ]
    }
    },

I am however unable to do the same for an Azure Function Event Grid trigger, there seems to be no way of accessing the master key. Can this be added to an upcoming release. please.

Many Thanks

Paul

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Policy: Support wildcards in resourceType parameter list entries

Azure Policy provides a parameter type named "resourceTypes", which has first-class support within the Azure portal and allows the administrator to pick from a list of all the Azure resource types.

This parameter type unfortunately does not support wildcards in the resource type entries supplied in the list. So, for example, if we want to allow all resource types provided by the resource provider Microsoft.Network, we will need to explicitly specify all the resource types in the parameter list. When resource types are added or removed from that resource provider, we will need to update the parameter list accordingly.

This…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Support Parameters AND ParametersLink when using a TemplateLink

Currently this is not supported, however we need to pass in parameters that we do not have the ability to specify the name of.

For instance the 'instrumentationKey' from an App Insights resource is given to us at runtime so it can't be baked into a ParametersLink file, which means we need to specify it using the manual 'Parameters' option when creating a downstream resource that depends upon the InstrumentationKey.

However the same downstream resource also requires a lot of configuration parameters which ideally would come from the parametersFile.

Please support the ability to specify both Parameters AND parametersLink when…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Please remove link between resources and their name, allowing to rename resources without the need to delete and recreate it

Please remove link between resources and their name, allowing to rename resources without the need to delete and recreate it.
    eg : Resource Group, Virtual Network, Virtual Machine, ...

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Create a resource group template in Azure Storage when a new resource group is created

When a new resource group is created in the Azure Preview Portal it would be nice were an equivalent resource group template to be saved into Azure Storage. This is done when resource group templates are used directly. I thought GCE did a nice job of always providing a script equivalent for each portal action - it helped improve understanding of scripted deployments.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Ability to add functional extensions to templates

I find myself often writing the same boilerplate code in my templates. Particularly in the functions section (name formatting and such). It would be nice to be able to import functions into templates and maintain common functions in a single place.

Example in the attachment

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Azure Deployment Manager  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Show Azure Storage <StaticWebsite> setting when query in Azure Resource Graph

It's not possible to query Storage <StaticWebsite> setting in Azure Resource Graph to see which accounts have this feature enabled or not. I understand ARG is based on ARM properties returned by management API, and it seems the ARM response for storage account does not have this data-plane property.
    However I think it should be included in the response as it's a general property for StorageV2 accounts. It's not convenient for users and we need to get this info from Storage API - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/storageservices/get-blob-service-properties)

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. ARM templatelink should support more than just a publicly accessible URI.

ARM templatelink should support more than just a publicly accessible URI.

specifically, on this page:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-resource-manager/resource-group-linked-templates#external-template-and-external-parameters

it states: "You can only provide a URI value that includes either http or https. One option is to place your linked template in a storage account, and use the URI for that item."

I'm a developer who wants to move all my Azure resources to a continuous deployment model that uses ARM as the underlying technology. The recommended solution is leaving me a bit speechless. I'm implicitly being asked to deploy an Azure resource (the storage account) and copy template files to it …

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

14. Use secret from keyvault in parameter defaultValue

Now the only way to get a secret is to pass it in each parameters file, it would be very useful to get a secret from keyvault in parameter default value. We are heavily rely on keyvault for our parameters.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Tag Inheritance from Resource Group

Be able to set tags at a resource or management group level that are inherited down to all child resources. For example, being able to set a tag for "AccountNum" or "ResponsibleParty" should be able to set at the resource group level, and then marked to apply to all child resources. It is important that any changes to the tag at the resource group level would automatically be reflected on the child resources as well.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Subscription Budget spend limit

Please add the option to have a budget limit for subscription and option to automatically stop all VM's \ Resources when limit reached

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Reference Resource IDs in Get VM API

Source: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/mt163682.aspx

In the Get VM API, have the response data contain provider resource IDs or URIs or some reference, similar to the below:

{
    name: 'example'
    id: '/subscriptions/<subId>/resoruceGroups/<rgName>/providers/Microsoft.Comput/virtualMachines/example'
    properties: {

virtualNetwork: {

id: &#39;/subscriptions/&lt;subId&gt;/resourceGroups/&lt;rgName&gt;/providers/Microsoft.Network/virtualNetworks/examplevn/&#39;
    name: &#39;examplevn&#39;
    }

storageAccount: {

id: &#39;/subscriptions/&lt;subId&gt;/resoruceGroups/&lt;rgName&gt;/providers/Microsoft.Storage/storageAccounts/examplesa/&#39;

name: &#39;examplesa&#39;
    }

}
    }

currently, in order for a user to get the reference virtual network or storage account from a virtual machine api (listed above), they have to hack around using the vnIface ID or poll a different endpoint for storage accounts (resource.blob.core.windows.net/vhds/vhds.vhd)

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Please provide compatible service.

Recently you provide ARM model. But unfortunatelly we need to modify our powershell script to change from ASM to ARM. This tasks and costs are big impact for us in a position of finance and human resources.

Could you please provide compatible service which is the same feature of previous service in the future? Or could you provide more guidance documentation to migrate to new service from old one?

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Dynamically assigned 'static' IP address when deploying VM via ARM templates

Quite often you want a 'static' IP address for VMs for use in firewall rules etc, however you don't actually care what that address is. The ability to select static IP when deploying the VM without having to manually define it would improve automation capability.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Drag drop interface for ARM templates like AWS CloudFormation designer

A visual tool allowing drag and drop of azure Azure resourcessimilar to AWS Cloud Formation designer tool.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Azure Resource Manager

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base