Azure Resource Manager

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Azure ARM Templates vague error messages

The request content was invalid and could not be deserialized: 'Required property 'type' not found in JSON. Path 'properties.template.resources[0].resources[2]', line 1, position 4150.'. (Code: InvalidRequestContent)

I just find that error messages like these are no help what so ever. Example, (line 1, position 4150). Can we get a little more specific?

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow changing the api-version query string parameter in Resource Explorer

The Azure Resource Explorer (https://resources.azure.com/) is an invaluable tool to look at Azure resources at low level, particularly for crafting ARM templates.

However, one issue in the current implementation is that the api-version query string parameter used by the tool to call the ARM REST APIs is fixed for each resource type.

Most of the time, this works fine, but there are times where this is very limited. For example, I was recently trying to obtain/modify some resource information from the tool for an Application Gateway resource, and this was not possible because the api-version used by default…

26 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Support tags for individual machines in a Scaleset.

In AWS for example, an instance in an auto scaling group is exactly the same as any other instance and can be referenced individually by it's instance ID. Additionally, Azure itself has a unique "name" identifier for each instance in a Scaleset, why not just add this as it's resource identifier as well? It seems that It's impossible to individually tag instance in Azure VMSS as there is no resource type for VMSS instance, just for the type of Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachineScaleSets.

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Identity function for Azure Resource Manager Templates to know who submitted the deployment

It would be good to be able to have a something that returned the user that requested the deployment, either the UPN or the AAD object Id. This can then be used to

• Tag the resource with the details of who created/last updated.
      This would be great to avoid the masss of resources created without anyone knowing who created them. Thus helping audit and manageability.
      If its a function it could be used in policy and thus enforced tagging.

• Add permissions based on the user doing the deploy.
      The last one is useful for the developer scenario where the you…

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Azure Deployment Manager  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. How to Delete Multiple Resource Group from Azure Portal ?

Dear Members,

I don't see Azure Resource Manager web portal is providing feature of selecting multiple resource group and get them deleted at one go. I am assuming that they should work on it and try to provide this web feature so that it can help Engineers while performing clean up activities.

Alternative way to perform this task.
    I believe that you would able to perform this activity using Powershell but in that also you have to keep on waiting until your one Remove-AzureRmRecourcegroup command get executed.

I can see some article related to this issue

https://www.yobyot.com/cloud/danger-will-robinson-or-how-to-bulk-delete-azure-resource-groups/2018/01/08/

Please suggest how…

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. ARM Template Builder GUI

As a User, it would be nice to build ARM Templates in a visual way. This would allow me to connect resources together, whether they exist or will need to be created at the time of building the template.

Example:
    Create an Azure Function App that has HTTP Trigger, with Queue Storage as ingress and Table Storage as egress. Managed by APIM.

This would create a template for me and deploy the resources as well. I could then define specifics within the interface I am creating the template visually.

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. No parity between Function App and Web app app-settings when using incremental mode

Given you have a Web App and a Function App in one ARM script that has been deployed in incremental mode.

When the script is ran the new Web App app-settings are MERGED with the existing Web App app-settings (which is what i would expect when running in incremental mode). However, the Function App app-settings are REPLACED, and any old settings no longer exist.

Please fix this so that Function App app-settings copy the same behaviour as web Apps

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Reset account

I want to have ability to reset account

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow count = 0 for copy in ARM template

Copy command for ARM templates has a paramter called count which determines the number of times it iterates to create the resource. This paramter must take a positive number (not 0). This causes a problem when a template could be reused but the resource that copy applies to is not needed, so the count could be set to 0.

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

10. Restrict use of spaces in tag names

Currently spaces are allowed in tags. This causes issues with tag governance, as a common occurrence for policy compliance failures is a leading or trailing space in a tag name. Please restrict the use of spaces in tag names, or strip spaces from the input.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Ability to disable Lock inheritance

Today, if you apply a lock to a resource group, it will apply to both:
    - Resource group
    - Any existing or new object within that resource group

What I'd to do is have a resource group have a Lock that only applies to it. In other words, ability to deselect inheritance. This is handy for protecting resource groups from being deleted in one operation, but doesn't limit individual changes. Present day Locks imply once a resource group is created, it is "Locked" to that state forever - which makes logical sense but doesn't seem to fit in spirit of…

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow tagging of "hidden" resources

Currently, you can tag most types of resources using portal.azure.com, Powershell or any other tool for that matter. Tagging "hidden" type of resources (for example Microsoft.Network/networkWatchers) is hidden on the portal, but they can be tagged by using a Powershell script which for example tags every resource inside a resource group.

This behaviour is inconsistent, because after this, listing tags on the portal show that the specific tag key:value pair is in use, but you won't see which resources use it. You need to rely on Get-AzureRmTag or other means to actually reveal which resources are tagged.

As of currently,…

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. rename Load Balancer name in Azure Portal

There should be an option to rename Load Balancer name in Azure Portal. We follow naming convention of each resources in Azure and there is high chance of typo's sometimes when configuring resources manually.

Recently I created a Load balancer for HA/DR solution and later realised there is typo in Azure Load Balancer while creation. So I have to delete the load balancer and create it again which caused some delay to setup whole solution. So i think there should be a feature to rename resource name in Azure after creation.

[admin] This should be a renaming ask on ARM

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

unplanned  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Resource Policy: dynamic values in policy parameters or conditions

Policy parameters or conditions values are limited to strings or arrays. In environments where change is a constant, those strings and arrays need to be updated regularly. Instead of having to update the policy, it would be great if we had some way of having dynamic values, for example coming from an HTTP request or from some other external source.

Consider a scenario in which you have dozens of applications each with multiple resources. Each application has a different owner (product owner). You want to apply a tagging enforcement policy that states that every resource must have a "owner" tag…

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add parameter to allow "temporary storage" drive letter to be specified at deploy-time

Provide option in ARM template to specify the driver letter assigned to "Temporary Storage". Currently defaulted to D:.

There was a similar, declined, suggestion from over 3 years ago: where MS suggested they were looking at improvements. @Corey Sanders goes on to say it would require another reboot, well, I currently use DSC to move it, and that requires another reboot, so it's neither here nor there, whether the additional reboot is fired by ""Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachines/" or "Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachines/extensions":
    https://feedback.azure.com/forums/216843-virtual-machines/suggestions/5558184-please-move-temporary-drive-to-t-drive-instead-of

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Support HashTables in Azure Resource Manager (ARM) JSON Templates

It would be really great if Azure Resource Manager (ARM) JSON Templates supported HashTable variables, in addition to the other primitive types.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Support linked ARM templates on private vnets

In short, I'd like to be able to use BLOB storage on private vnets, and allow access to that storage when deploying with ARM templates. It shouldn't be necessary to open the BLOB storage up to public access (even if protected by SAS tokens) just to use the storage account during ARM deployment.

My preferred solution is to either have the ARM deploy servers included in the "trusted Microsoft services" that I've granted access to the storage account; or add another checkbox (similar to keyvault) granting network access to the storage account when accessed during deployment.

For example, I should…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

18. Remove DNS Zone 'child' records (CNAMEs, etc) with Complete Deployments

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/49073063/

Expectation: If a template is deployed in Complete mode, Resources which are not represented in the template should be removed.

Actual: Once a child resource (like CNAME) is deployed with an ARM Template, it cannot be removed with an ARM Template, regardless of the Deployment Mode.

This effectively breaks a core tenet of ARM Templates+Deployments and requires additional an out-of-band control/automation plane.

While this behavior /can/ vary across Resource Providers, I haven't seen a good argument for why it /should be/ inconsistently implemented, especially without the capacity to control the behavior.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add nested resource groups

I would like to have nested resource groups. A scenario in which this can be usefull is in DTAP. You can create a resource group for the application/service; and within that resourcegroup you could create resource groups for all the DTAP stages. For Example: A resourcegroup called "MyApp" with resourcegroups "Dev", "Test", "Production" in it.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)