How can we improve Microsoft Azure Data Factory?

Support ADF Projects in Visual Studio 2017

Currently Visual Studio 2017 does not support Azure Data Factory projects.

Despite the Azure SDK now being included in VS2017 with all other services the ADF project files aren't.

Can you please include this feature so developers can upgrade from VS2015?

Thanks

2,089 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Paul Andrew shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

52 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Veli-Jussi Raitila commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The DataOps story using Microsoft tooling is woefully inadequate without this. One should really be able to work on all the interrelated components within a data platform with unified tooling, commit into version control and deploy the changes into the appropriate environments e.g. with Azure DevOps. Having ADF support in Visual Studio is one piece of the puzzle and it seems that the teams developing various Azure services are not thinking about this holistically.

Now that the SSDT support for Azure SQL DW database projects is (finally) in preview, and ADF is the preferred Microsoft-provided tool for orchestrating data transformations, it should be fairly obvious that these things are closely related.

Sad that this is the top-voted feedback item for Data Factory and not even a comment from the team in 2 years...

• Antonio Policastro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't know if anyone will ever read this, but I need to express my frustration.
    PLEASE do something about this request. Thank you.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In just over a month this request will be celebrating its 2nd birthday 🍰🥂

did any one connected ADF with HDFS to ADL data transfer.. if yes then please let me know. They have provide tutorial but in this they are using integration service of windows to connect with on prim HDFS.. on prime HDFS is in linux then how we can use ADF.

• Kev moore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi. Granted the Web authoring tool is getting much better. However, we really need the ability to manage our source code in the same way as all of our other projects. Namely, using VS to develop. Push to Dev env for testing, merge to master and push to prod. At the moment, and changes to the pipelines or connectors have to be done in the web, then we have to export the ARM template (making sure connectors are correct for each branch (and we have a lot)). Then merge through VS and deploy manually.

As the VSTS CI/CD pipeline is being promoted as DevOps, surely this should include Data Factory?

Cheers

Kev

Please support ADV version 2 in Visual Studio. The Vision if Visual development must still support CI/CD!

• James Denning commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Actually theADF v2 web design surface I think is pretty amazing, it works well and doesn't crash half as much as visual studio would. What a lot of commenters on here really need is a proper CI/CD approach which would be facilitated by a totally different feature asked for elsewhere (programmatic/API capability to export the ARM template).

• kbaig109 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please the visual interface on ADF V2 is great for testing but using visual studio json templates would be really great too .. especially when working against multiple environments and pipelines

• Manish Pradhan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very vital to support movement of ADF projects across environments using Visual studio configurations as well as for ease of development. Please support.

• Tash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are living in a world where analyzing data is more and more important. That means data movement and integration are vital. ADF development in Visual Studio makes this easier and quicker than front-end UI development. Everything in a data analytics cloud solution should be easy to build, maintain and manage source code not just some components. Please bring this add-in functionality back into Visual Studio.

• Debashish Sarkar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was an unpleasant surprise while migrating from VS2015 to VS2017 for us. MS, please support ADF in VS2017!

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hate developing in a web browser.
    Best practices for source control, integration, tests and deployment are well established in the dev community in general. Data factory is out right incompatible with them.

• Pawel Potasinski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does anyone in Azure product team think proactively about data fellows? No ADF project in VS, no SQLDW project in VS... C'mon you sell these services to your customers as pieces of enterprise ready data platform! And in the meantime we have to use dirty workarounds that slow us down and do not allow to work in an agile fashion.

• griff182uk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

really need this - frustrating when trying to promote "one solution" solutions to fellow devs who are sometimes hesitant with that approach and I have to say "one solution...except for this one..."
    Makes me look a right mug and hard to get principals across!

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base