How can we improve Microsoft Azure Data Factory?

Move Activity

Activity that copies and then deletes.

1,054 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Max Smiley shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

41 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • anonym commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

2 and a half years later - still under review and no update? I cannot believe that such an essential function is missing. This is a show stopper for us.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tried to rename the pipeline with adf rest api (update pipeline) but no luck.
        Can you please suggest any rest api to rename the pipeline or any other way except ADF UI from azure portal ?
        Please help me on this.

• dennis zwiers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has microsoft stopped development of the Azure Data Factory service? There seems to be hardly any action going on in this area, considering that this item is already "under review" for two and a half years.

• Karthik Kumar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It really important to have this feature. We are spending lot of development time, creating function apps(executed from pipeline) to deal with these unsupported features.

• Jithesh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ADF do require delete option to remove the file that are copied to destination.

• Keith Patton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is blocking our adoption of azure data factory. We are happy to do a custom activity but have no working examples around how to delete a file using a file system linked service tied to on prem data source. I am coompletely bamboozled as to how a triggered copy activity could be of use to anyone without the ability to delete or archive the files as part of the operation, what am i missing!?

• Nik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

is there an ETA on this ?? It's been stagnant for way too long...

• Nik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This definitely needs to be there...it just makes sense and fits the need

• Sunitha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely need Move and Delete features added in ADF. The entire point of using such tools is for its simplicity while focusing on more important logic, If such basic features are missed out, then it is so disappointing especially when you take so much efforts in learning them.

• Derek Adams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've had nothing but praises for the Data Factory until I realized that I couldn't delete a file after copying it. So disappointing! A ton of work wasted unless this feature is added.

• Leeten commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi there, Whilst the ADF 'Move/Delete/Rename' base function is being considered as an imporvement, can we use a Web activity to call the REST API provide by Data Lake to move or delete a file?
        BUT, what are the instruction specific to calling Data Lake's REST API, and what are the url points etc..?

I've looked at this page, but it's fairly generic - NOT specfic to Data Lake:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/data-factory/control-flow-web-activity

Any help would be great.

• Rodrigo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

IT can't be so complex "rm" ftp instruction ..... ADF base technology is "copy" files....I can imagine Microsoft IT engineer had this idea during implementation.

• Ron DeFreitas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an absolute must have. Either as a "Move" Activity or a "Delete" Activity. It's absurd that this platform doesn't provide this capability.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base