Data Factory

Azure Data Factory allows you to manage the production of trusted information by offering an easy way to create, orchestrate, and monitor data pipelines over the Hadoop ecosystem using structured, semi-structures and unstructured data sources. You can connect to your on-premises SQL Server, Azure database, tables or blobs and create data pipelines that will process the data with Hive and Pig scripting, or custom C# processing. The service offers a holistic monitoring and management experience over these pipelines, including a view of their data production and data lineage down to the source systems. The outcome of Data Factory is the transformation of raw data assets into trusted information that can be shared broadly with BI and analytics tools.

Do you have an idea, suggestion or feedback based on your experience with Azure Data Factory? We’d love to hear your thoughts.

1. How to import data to psql from azure storage account

is there alternative to import data to azure psql?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. In Event Trigger–Add Dynamic Content feature (i.e. Parameterization) should be really helpful.

Event Trigger is used to trigger the Azure Data Factory pipeline when some file is placed at some location. It is working as expected and triggering pipeline.
    There is requirement to control File name, Container etc which is used to trigger pipeline. This can be achieved when these options can be parameterized and passed somehow. Somehow “Add Dynamic Content” which allows to use parameters is not available.
    Or Add functionality in Wait activity which should check for availability of file/container within stipulated/configured time.
    Such feature is required as available in other ETLs.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Azure Data Factory Trigger does not take automatically the parameters set for Pipeline

Steps
    1. I created a very big pipeline
    2. my pipeline have 8 to 10 parameters
    3. I have set the default values for all those parameters and published
    4. Its now very good feature when I click on Trigger Now, it takes the parameters automatically.

Also expecting below feature to improve productivity and save really good amount of time as I have many pipelines

1. Create a Tumbling/Scheduling Trigger, set the dates and when finishing again I need to add values to my 8 to 10 parameters . It does not show default set values.

Can you display the default…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. add support fro different time zones in the pipline start and end windows

this is required when you are sourcing data that's stored in a timezone different than UTC

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Copy Activity "dirty read" on Table selection

In the Copy Activity, I can select, Table, Query or Stored Procedure.
    When I select table, I need an option to do a "dirty read". A simple check box would do the trick on the Settings tab.

I can enter SQL and add this, but then it removes the need for the Table option.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Iteration and Conditional Activities

The current release requires that you add activities under the If Condition or ForEach activity. If you modify an existing pipeline to add an If Condition activity, you’ll have to cut and paste all existing activities after the If Condition activity. For example, if you add an If Condition after activity A, you have to copy and paste all activities after activity A, if they are still valid and relevant after the addition, and paste them to the If Condition activity. That’s a lot of extra work. Plus, these activities are not visible on the main screen.

It would be…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Need activities to delete the files from either ADLS or Azure Storace Account

Need activities to delete the files from either ADLS or Azure Storace Account

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow me to save the layout of a pipeline monitor window so that refreshing does not lose all the selections I have just made

Allow me to save the layout of a pipeline monitor window so that refreshing does not lose all the selections I have just made

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Allow publishing of branch

Right now publishing is allowed only in master branch. If i want to test a schedule i need to publish to master which seems in appropriate.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Copy multiple specific shared files

In some cases, I just know the names of the files I need to transfer so it would be useful to be able to specify a list of file names (relative paths) to be copied.

In these cases, using a File System dataset, the shared folder will not be enumerated, instead it will return just the specific files that I requested.

It is like being able to provide a list of file paths instead of a single file, see attached picture.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. visual studio code

Support author and monitor functions of Azure Data Factory using Visual Studio Code

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add detailed tutorials on Data Factory

We have requirement to copy data from one primary db to secondary DB.We don't want to copy whole Db instead we need data of before last
    6 months, and we want to keep 6 months data on primary DB.
    I am trying to do this using Data factory copy activity but not able to do.
    Please provide more about how can we filter data, write custom query to copy data , pass paramters to custom query .

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Configure Event Based Triggers Between Environments

Event based triggers are amazing to handle dependencies. However, we should be able to switch between subscriptions and storage accounts by accessing through Key Vault which are configured to switch between environments

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Pre-Copy Script in CopyData activity should be able to use SQL file along with hard coded SQL script.

I am not too sure but it looks to me that the Pre-Copy Script in CopyData activity doesn't support using SQL files. We have to put hard-coded SQLs there.
    If that is correct assumption then it should have ability to read from SQL files as well.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Data Factory activity output deciding the "color" of the entire pipeline status

In Azure Data Factory pipeline, you can have only 2 status: OK (Green) or Failed (Red).

Would it be possible having a third status, like Partially Succeeded (Orange) based on some custom outputs.

The idea comes from this discussion: https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/azure-docs/issues/31281

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Make a wizard similar to the new Copy (Preview) which just allows you to type any long running SQL statement

Need a way of just entering an adhoc SQL statement which you know will run for hours/days and have it managed by ADF.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Validate Activity Doesn't Support wildcards

When checking the childitems collections the validate activity doesn't support wildcards.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Azure Table Storage key field translations, JSON element naming, and rollover text

I think it was a mistake to have a separate system for setting PartitionKey and RowKey values in the sink section, when you had a system setup in the translator area specifically for the purpose of translating fields (columns) when reading and writing entities. When I first tried to get a PartitionKey to come from another field in my source table (NewPKey in this example), I incorrectly tried to do it like this ...

"translator": {
    "type": "TabularTranslator",
    "columnMappings": "NewPKey: PartitionKey, RowKey: RowKey, Value: Value"
    }
    ... of course, that didn't work. For logical consistency and simplicity, I wish that…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Support the ability to pass an array to an IN clause inside a copy activity

It would be very helpful if it is possible to use the array results of a lookup activity and use the results inside an IN clause of a copy activity query. Right now the array format that is returned by the lookup activity cannot by used inside the query since the array is returned in a JSON format.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Data Factory

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base