How can we improve Microsoft Azure Stream Analytics?

Multiple queries in a single SA job

Multiple queries in a single SA job, where the queries are the stages in the job. This is mostly a UI presentation problem. I would like to see my SA job represent the complete stream processing for my solution. This would allow better software management practices as well as easier starting and stopping of 'chained' queries.

32 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Roger Johnson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Brad Dixon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would help to have them segregated as individual objects so API's could be used to maintain them in a much more structured manner. I could spin up or take down a query in a much easier fashion, this would allow for greater separation, decoupling and ultimately, better management capability. We have a requirement to spin up queries dynamically. We can do it with inputs and outputs so why not queries/transformations? Or maybe I'm missing something.

• Roger Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The recent changes to have multiple SELECTS in a single job to target multiple outputs is good, though I would still like to group jobs to de-clutter the view at the top level Stream Analytics portal page.

• Roger Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I stated mostly a UI problem at the time, because it could have been an Azure Portal UI change to display a group of jobs in a new higher level object like a JobGroup object or JobDeployment object. I think it would be a cleaner UI path to only see the top high level job groups in Azure. and clicking on one of these would take you into a Job list view like you currently have today at the subscription level -- except it would only show those jobs that were created under that JobDeployment, not all the jobs for the subscription. Hope this makes sense.

• Clemens Szyperski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can use the existing WITH syntax to build a chain of queries. With the upcoming support for multiple outputs, you can combine even more aspects of "multiple queries" in a single streaming job.

Could you clarify why you describe your ask as "mostly a UI presentation problem"?

Feedback and Knowledge Base