How can we improve Microsoft Azure Stream Analytics?

Have a smaller unit size (i.e. for lab/demo environments)

Stream Analytics is great - but it's a bit much to pay for a full unit hour when you have very low processing requirements. I've got a couple demo and lab environments I'm working with now and have to keep stopping the jobs as each costs about $80/month to run.

The simplest fix for this would be to have a smaller unit size ("shared" unit?) to make it easier to get started with projects.

96 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Erik shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • DKG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The current cost makes it very prohibitive to test a small load for a long period to see if it’s running correctly and will not fail when deployed. This has been trouble for us with several small clients looking to develop an iot device/solution.

• Brett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same issue. I have an MSDN subscription which gives me AUD$70 / month to test / learn with. One stream analytics job kills that budget so i am not able to test / learn stream analytics. I lower price point for demo / testing scenarios is needed.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So I have an IOT device sending ~50 number every 10 minutes - cost of mobile phone account $10/m. ok.
    Data is sent to Azure IOTHub - cost $37/m. ok.
    Stream Analytics sends the data to PowerBI - cost $340/m. Outrageously not ok.
    Power BI runs dashboards, output is so low that Power BI is free.

• Jan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm using two Stream Analytics jobs to run my home (custom dev) IoT system. Due to the price increase, Stream Analytics is getting too expensive for this scenario. The two jobs are only using a fraction of Unit, but I'll have to pay for two full units each month.

It totally understand you guys need to make money, and I happily recommend Stream Analytics to customers in real-world IoT scenarios. But it would be great if Stream Analytics would become an affordable option (like $10 per job/month) again for hobbyist scenarios too. Just some ideas:
    - a smaller (more granular) Unit
    - no SLA
    - restrictions on functions
    - capped performance

Thanks!
    J

Feedback and Knowledge Base