Stream Analytics

Azure Stream Analytics is a fully managed real-time stream computation service hosted in Microsoft Azure, which provides highly resilient, low latency, and scalable complex event processing of streaming data. Azure Stream Analytics enables developers to easily combine streams of data with historic records or reference data to derive business insights easily and quickly.

How can we improve Microsoft Azure Stream Analytics?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Autoscale for streaming unit

At present, Stream analytics throws memory exception when there is not enough streaming units. It should automatically scale based on the streaming unit requirement.

242 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Take input from CosmosDB

Currently Stream Analytics accepts data from Blob storage. Support to get data from DocumentDB should be added.

158 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  10 comments  ·  Inputs and Outputs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Provide PowerShell and REST API for creating Power BI output

Currently you have PowerShell and REST APIs for creating outputs, but I don't believe it supports creating a Power BI output. You can only do that via the management portal. I need to be able to do this programmatically including the authentication with Power BI during setup.

112 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Stream into existing Power BI Datasets

Hey,
    it would be great to have the possibility to create a dataset in PowerBi Desktop and use as output in ASA.

98 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Have a smaller unit size (i.e. for lab/demo environments)

Stream Analytics is great - but it's a bit much to pay for a full unit hour when you have very low processing requirements. I've got a couple demo and lab environments I'm working with now and have to keep stopping the jobs as each costs about $80/month to run.

The simplest fix for this would be to have a smaller unit size ("shared" unit?) to make it easier to get started with projects.

96 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Parquet Support

Would be great to support Parquet file format for output from Stream Analytics. This format seems to be trending up in popularity within the Spark and Hadoop ecosystem.

75 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Call to a REST endpoint to invoke custom code

Call from my query to a REST endpoint to invoke custom code.

74 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Stream Analytics VNet support

Stream Analytics should integrate into Virtual Network (VNet) so I can access my services seemlessly without requiring cross-internet access.

58 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. On-prem SQL as input and output

Would like to push my data from on prem SQL -> Stream analytics + ML model -> Output of ML model back to on-prem SQL table -> Host power BI on corp. By this way, any PII/HBI data can still be on-prem and other numeric data can flow via the cloud and back. If the channel from cloud to on-prem sql can be secure and easily established, it would greatly help.

55 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Reopening this item since we have additional votes and heard about more comments related to this.
    Few comments/workaround in the meantime:
    - For PII/HBI data: ASA on IoT Edge and Azure Stack for PII – this allows pre-processing at the Edge without sending data to the cloud.
    - Streaming + DB can work side-by-side on ASDE (Azure SQL Database Edge)

10. Add HDInsight (HBase) to output

Adding HDInsight (HBase) as an output for an job. HBase provides random, realtime read/write access.

52 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 50 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 47 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add a simple Datetime format function

I need to insert the timestamp as a column in a Azure Table with the following .NET format ("yyyy-MM-dd-HH-mm"), I thought the CONCAT and DATENAME/DATEPART functions would help me, and I ended up with this, but it is not producing the output I need:

CONCAT(DATENAME(yyyy,System.Timestamp),'-',CAST(DATEPART(mm,System.Timestamp) AS NVARCHAR(MAX)),'-',DATENAME(dd,System.Timestamp),'-',DATENAME(HH,System.Timestamp),'-',DATENAME(mi,System.Timestamp)),

"2015-10-12T05:17:37.807Z" is formatted like: '2015-10-12-5-17" and I am expecting "2015-10-12-17-17"

45 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Time series database sink

It would be great to be able to stream the data into a time series database. Currently Azure does not have support for time series, but it would be nice to see support for KairosDB or OpenTSB

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Inputs and Outputs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add an output sync to Azure Operational Insights

Azure Operational Insights provides a very fast search and indexing mechanism to data. Its a perfect visualization experience on top of the data we are sending from EventHub->StreamAnalytics

43 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Ability to output data to dynamically generated tables.

We want incomming data for multiple of our customers input through one event hub and then output to a table per customer. The tables don't need to be created by stream analytics, we can do that from code when the customer creates an account with us. I just need to be able to direct the output to the correct table from my Stream Analytics query.

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow REST Endpoints as reference data input

Possibility to define REST endpoints as reference data inputs. Including refresh rate settings similar to SQL Database.

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Inputs and Outputs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Support automatic restart with IoT Hub failover

Azure Stream Analytics fails to received input from IoT Hub after an IoT Hub/Event Hub failover. the user will have to restart the job manually
    after failover. It is difficult for user to restart the job manually due to a midnight failover for a 24x7 ruiining system.
    Please consider automatic restart or restart button of Stream Analytics after IoT Hub failover.

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Advanced Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. User Defined Python Functions

Ability to define functions in python as part of a stream query similar to what has been done with Azure Machine Learning. The ability to then return the results back into the query would be great. Treat it like a SQL Stored Proc almost.

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Access Device Twin properties for IoT Hub input

It is possible to define custom properties for IoT Hub Device Twins (as documented here: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/iot-hub-device-management-overview/) but these properties are not accessible in Stream Analytics jobs. Workaround is to define these properties in Reference BLOB Storage and JOIN it on device ID, but why not to have them in one place with (possibly) much faster access for large numbers of devices?

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12
  • Don't see your idea?

Stream Analytics

Feedback and Knowledge Base