Batch

How can we improve Azure Batch? Do you have an idea, suggestion or feedback based on your experience? We would love to hear it!

1. Task metrics based on type of node

Right now task metrics like ActiveTasks, RunningTasks providing info based on all nodes(dedicated, low priority). It will be good if metrics are provided based on type of node separately. This feature will be useful while creating auto scale formula based on combination of dedicated/low priority nodes.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Show in Pool view in Portal (and over API therefore Batch Explorer) when nodes require recovery or are recovering

Currently when a node requires recovery or is recovering, it shows up as Idle in the portal and in Batch Explorer. It should be made clear that this node is not available for use.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Expose compute resource provider level logs via batch diagnostic

We currently ran into the situation where our batch pool did not start due to the error:

Offer with PublisherId: microsoft-azure-batch, OfferId: ubuntu-server-container cannot be purchased due to validation errors. See details for more information.[{\"Legal terms have not been accepted for this item on this subscription. To accept legal terms using PowerShell, please use Get-AzureRmMarketplaceTerms and Set-AzureRmMarketplaceTerms API(https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=862451) or deploy via the Azure portal to accept the terms.

However, there is no way to see this error via Batch diagnostics. The only error we could see was:

Desired number of dedicated VMs could not be allocated due to…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Support for Shadow Matte Shader

HI I'm having problems rendering a scene, after some debugging I have isolated the problem to using a the Arnold ShadowMatte shader, when I use this to me scene it cause the render to fail. Can you confirm that the SahdowMatte shader is supported?

I'm using Maya 2018 with no updates, which is Arnold 5. I think Autodesk have been tweaking the way that Maya connects to or uses this shader in the 2018 updates, so the issue might be sensitive to which update I have.

Thank-you Mat R.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Specify Blob ContentType when uploading task output via CloudTask.OutputFile

I'm using OutputFiles with a file pattern to upload a collection of .jpg files from my CloudTask to Blob storage. It would be great to provide an option to define the content type (e.g. "image/jpeg"). For my needs, implementation of an auto content type (like that used in Storage Explorer) would suffice.

Thanks.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Better error messages if pool is unable to add nodes

If the managed resources for a vm image are missing or the node type doesnt support a requested feature (e.g. managed disk on A series vm) then the pool keeps trying to add nodes eventually hitting resize timeout, after timeout it starts again. Its not easy to debug those situations and a better error report would be very useful.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Remove hard 15min timeout on job release task

We use Job release task to combine/zip intermediate result from each VM before sending them to blob storage. We were shocked to find that there is a hard 15 min timeout on job release task

First of all, when we design this feature, we never came across this limitation. If we knew, we would have a better mechanism to monitor the runtime as our data keeps growing and being terminated mean we will lose large amount of data. All documentation of this feature should have a big warning sign saying that your code will be terminated if it runs more…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Allow auto-scaling formula updates while pool is resizing

Currently, while a pool is changing size, it's not possible to change the auto-scaling formula. It would be very useful to change the formula while it is scaling, even if it only takes effect once the current scale operation is finished. If this were the case then you could correct an error without having to sit there and wait for the few moments after a scale has finished / timed out in order to update the formula.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
1 3 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Batch

Categories