Batch

How can we improve Azure Batch? Do you have an idea, suggestion or feedback based on your experience? We would love to hear it!

1. Add diagnostics support for Azure Batch

Currently Azure Batch does not support diagnostics/telemetry/performance counters. It would be really useful to have something like a New relic or an App insights integration.

56 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Need reimage support on VirtualMachineConfiguration-based pool

Hi Batch Team, we would like to have reimage support on VirtualMachineConfiguration-based pools as well. We know that currently it is supported on CloudServiceConfiguration-based pools. This would greatly reduce the effort to maintain the nodes in the pool as we want to regularly reimage the nodes to keep them healthy without deleting the pool and recreating again. Thanks so much!

45 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow initial value for TargetDedicated when autoscale is enabled for a pool.

Otherwise it takes at least 5 minutes to start the tasks!

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Jobs of equal priority should be executed in submission order

If I have a fixed number of dedicated VMs, then it is important that queued jobs run in submission order. Sure I could use the priority to achieve this, but then I can't use priority for real business use case prioritisation. Sure I could reserve priority ranges, but this is getting complicated when it should just process them in submission order.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Allow B-Series VMs to be chosen

I understand that the main use case of Batch is for high performance computing, but we have a use case where we have jobs that are I/On (disk / network) dependent, so don't take an awful lot of processing power and would run easily in Bingley Series VMs

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Improved error / fail sooner when pool removal is gated with a delete lock

We recently had a case where a pool removal was 'stuck' and it appeared that the completion of the command was gated by the timeout value (which we inadvertently made very long).

It turned out that the removal of the pool needed to delete a configuration on a subnet which was part of a VNet/RG that had a deletelock applied.

It seems unreasonable to hang a process for a configuration change and would propose that in this case the resize should've failed once it determined it was blocked due to a delete lock on a 'sub resource'. Even better if…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Batch

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base