How can we improve Azure Log Analytics ?

Bring back the On-Prem AD Replication Status Tool

Version 1.0 is expired. The download page for version 1.1 only allows us to download the expired 1.0 version. The "cloud" version in OMS doesn't satisfy all of the same needs as the original version did. This was a very handy tool and I'd like to have it back.

Cross-post from: https://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/304621-active-directory/suggestions/11701692-bring-back-the-on-prem-ad-replication-status-tool

762 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Ryan Ries [MSFT] shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

70 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Kirill Nikolaev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, Ops Insights Team. The examples impossible with OMS are following:
    1. Review replication health status in Internet-disconnected environments.
    2. QUICK review of replication health while troubleshooting if customer doesn't use any monitoring for AD replication or if we suspect it works incorrectly.

That were the main points to use the tool. OMS is more for consistent monitoring while that tool perfectly suits for quick overview.

• Joe McGlynn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have OMS AD Replication Status Tool deployed to two different workspaces.for the last 2 weeks and I'm still gathering data. Old tool did it in 5 minutes.
    On a black network with no Internet access because of security rules the OMS AD Replication Status tool cannot be deployed. If it could the time delay between the CAB request and confirmination means that the OMS tool may arrive well after its was needed to help diagnose AD Replication issues.

• Renato commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some customers policy do not allow sending data to cloud.
    Some domains do not have internet connectivity.
    There are many examples where the OMS cannot be used.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it is not a issue with what it can or cant do, but more of a security policy at my company. We are not going to allow any data to be uploaded to the cloud, so having the tool 100% on site satisfies that policy.

• NA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This Cloud version is not useful for disconnected domains. Need something for disconnected domains.

• Chris Parr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely. I'm happy for cloud to be an option, but forcing it like this is counter productive especially for anything related to AD where agent installation and data flow can be extremely sensitive issues.

• PO'D. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

THIS IS STUPID! WHY CAN'T I JUST CHECK THE STATUS OF REPLICATION IN MY CLIENT'S ENVIRONMENT???? WHY DO I HAVE TO CREATE AN ACCOUNT IN SOMETHING I'VE NEVER SEEN BEFORE AND LEARN THIS F**** ING S***???

• zack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

First off all i need to do is check replication status, secondly, not everyone has a unlimited high speed internet connection... What was once a useful tool that was included with windows is now gone.

• Matthew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tried to get this to work but no data ever showed up in the portal --I just need to check my replication status. Please bring back the old tool or fix this one.

1 2 4 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base