How can we improve Azure Log Analytics ?

Bring back the On-Prem AD Replication Status Tool

Version 1.0 is expired. The download page for version 1.1 only allows us to download the expired 1.0 version. The "cloud" version in OMS doesn't satisfy all of the same needs as the original version did. This was a very handy tool and I'd like to have it back.

Cross-post from: https://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/304621-active-directory/suggestions/11701692-bring-back-the-on-prem-ad-replication-status-tool

762 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Ryan Ries [MSFT] shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

70 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This tool should be brought back as a standalone application. It performed very well as a quick easy way to determine Active Directory Health without going through a series of steps. Once run, the results were immediate and current and also allowed a quick and easy way to determine if there is an issue. If there was an issue this tool assisted with the resolution. Contrary to what Microsoft management says, not every single application needs to be run the cloud. If the replication status is not instantaneous then it’s useless. Also, there was no need to have a tool that works well expire forcing Network Administrators to move to the OMS platform. Maybe someday in the far, far, future when all of our Active Directories are running only in the Azure Cloud and not on premise then we will need a Web Based tool for diagnostics such as OMS. Until then, these locally administered tools provide a critical service in supporting our infrastructures and should be allowed and updated by Microsoft.

• simon howard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the original AD rep-status tool allowed instant results to be obtained, now I have to wait hours on end. whose bright idea was this?

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Security policies do not enable me for any data flow through the cloud. Please bring back the original tool.

• Much commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring back a version of the tool that can be run in a disconnected (secure) environment.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On site customers are not going anywhere any time soon. Please do not stop supporting them.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring back a version of the tool that can be run in a disconnected (secure) environment.

• Jason Weiand commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Can you share examples of things that are possible in the old tool, but aren’t possible with the OMS version?"

^ That just blew my mind when I read it...

• Matthew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use the tool for troubleshooting my environment. The AD replication status tool allows me to get results back instantaneously. Based on that, I then fix the problem and then re-run the tool again to ensure the issue is resolved. I don't see how to use the new version to accomplish the same thing.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OMS is likely not a valid replacement for customers that have non-Internet connected networks! Not to mention the answer being a much larger solution to something that simply provides quick AD replication information to IT admins.

• Chirag Shah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This tool is essential for supporting my customers in highly secure\disconnected environments. Without it, checking Active Directory replication health is tedious and more than likely be neglected without an easy-to-use tool as the AD Replication Status Tool.

Please being back this tool!

• Curt McNamee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The main issue I have with the new version of the tool soley being cloud based is that I have a several clients that prohibit the sending of any data from DCs to any location outside their network perimeter. I use it in my test/dev and internal corporate environments, and I love it. It's my customers who by policy cannot share internal data with cloud vendors that are left in the dark.

• Simon Fox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is not a matter of possible operations it's a matter of taking a useful tool (not quite as useful as replmon) and moving it to an external service. I need to be able to access the inforamtion I need as fast as possible to see what the state of my clients AD is. Please put back this tool!!!

• Chris Parr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Repeating earlier comments here, but: quick checks, no sign up for a cloud service, no data leaving the organisation. The old version was a troubleshooting tool with no prerequisites. The new alternative is a monitoring tool with a pile of prerequisites and breaks security policies for a large number of environment.

• Brett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about letting me use the old AD replication tool that didn't require all this ********?

• Fredrik Forséll commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The last tool was free, and could be used for troubleshooting when consulting. This one is not free, and not usable in a customers environment.

• zack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Using the tool in offline or otherwise inconsistently connected to the internet networks (like one I manage that is not run all the time, just setup for events and taken down (domain controllers and all). Also policy prohibits use of cloud services such as OMS, especially where fees could be involved. Getting immediate easily to read and use results, for use in said network that needs to be setup and taken down frequently and for a short duration.

• Ryan Ries [MSFT] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, thank you for the reply.

Things that are possible in the old tool, but not as possible in the new tool:

- Running the tool on isolated Active Directory environments that are not connected to the internet.
    - Running the tool on domain controllers without the need to install an agent.
    - Getting a report right away, without the need to wait > 24 hours for data collection/aggregation.
    - A way to swiftly assess the condition of an Active Directory environment that is not already integrated with OMS ahead of time.

Thank you.

Feedback and Knowledge Base