Bring back the On-Prem AD Replication Status Tool
Version 1.0 is expired. The download page for version 1.1 only allows us to download the expired 1.0 version. The "cloud" version in OMS doesn't satisfy all of the same needs as the original version did. This was a very handy tool and I'd like to have it back.
Thank you all for the feedback. Based on your passionate input, we have made the on-prem tool available again and you can download it from: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30005
Microsoft Support & OMS assessment solutions team
Joe McGlynn commented
I've been interacting with some of the OMS AD Rep Team since March 3rd. I still cannot get any data from AD Replication Status on OMS.
Its talking to the connection service, generating the packages, but no data.
And now you've killed the on-premise version completely.
Brilliant job, just brilliant.
May a mouse bite the power cable to the house of the genius who thought up this ideas every third night.
Why! Why! Why! Take a simple, yet effective tool and trash it?
Thanks MS for messing up my planned work! The new tool is completely useless in my case. Seriously ..you suck.
I've been using this for two days now and honestly, it's just not nearly as good as the old AD Replication Status Tool. I gave it a chance, tested against a couple of my lab forests and I really wanted it to be good, but it's just not comparable. I'm fairly ****** now and here's why:
1. Data is NOT real time. Highly suggested you add some kind of check replication now button. Or, since I know you don't want to initiate action from the cloud, I suggest you add a "Run Now" icon from a client server.
2. We wanted a real-time tool for doing replication checks, not a cloud replacement for SCOM. The old ADRST was GREAT for doing quick replication checks for schema updates, If my data is not as close to real-time as possible how do I know I need to take action on a particular DC. I've done far too many schema updates in a large enterprise environment with over 70 sites worldwide to leave this sort of thing to chance. If something's not updating it affects the schema update reaching DCs on the other side of the world. I need my operations team to take action, not wait 24 hours and then take care of it when it start alerting. I have strict change maintenance windows that have to be scheduled and with this tool that's going to make it all FUBAR my next update (which I was coincidently going to schedule next weekend, guess I'm going to wait on that a bit).
2. Views are too simplified without digging into logs. The old tool showed far more data by default and was better arranged. How about an advanced view?
3. The AD Replication solution keeps disappearing from my dashboard. It's gone now in fact. I've tried adding and removing without resolution.
4. Trying to configure a member server to monitor AD? Yea, that doesn't work at all. I've set the registry entry and it's just not working. My guess is something is missing from the instructions like you have to forward on all AD logs to the member server. I miss being able to run the old tool from a member server.
5. In addition to my primary forest with over 70 sites, I also have about 15 other forests, Half of them heavily regulated by our InfoSec team and they are telling me that they won't be allowing me to open the firewall ports to enable sending logs to the cloud. So unless I run replication checks via PowerShell I have no idea what's not replicating real time, so um.. Thanks for that!
Why in the **** would you guys kill this tool other than to force your already paying customers into paying even more for SOMETHING THEY DON'T WANT? You killed replmon (which was great!) and then forced us to use ADRST and now you kill it too? Listen, not all of us have time to sit around learning command line/scripting or do we want to put every stupid little thing we do out in the cloud. All you're doing is creating more ill will toward your company and your product. Cut out the greed already and bring back the tool.
The tool was all you need to check for replication issues - small, fast and works without an internet connection (highly recommended on critical systems like domaincontrollers). Also, many customers dont want to upload any data to a public cloud..
So, please bring the old tool back and remove the date-check!
Eric Schewe commented
Shameless self-promotion but I have a work around to get the tool working again: https://www.pickysysadmin.ca/2016/02/15/previous-version-of-the-active-directory-replication-status-tool/
The ability to check replication status without an Internet connection, while keeping all data on site.
WHY? it also was very convenient
I also would like the old version back. Please bring it back.
Bring Back the active directory replication status tool. i will not subscribe nor use the om cloud.
That is really big disappointment for Microsoft to pull the plug off on well-designed/effective tool like this one.
This tool was far more effective and valuable when it was purposed to be used on prem.
I completely agree - the original tool was perfect for our needs and MS wasn't greedy enough then to charge for it.
Security constraints are preventing us from using the cloud. "DUH"
Bring back the on-prem tool, please!
Maybe I'm missing something, but this only seems to show errors. I'd like to know for sure that a DC has actually replicated successfully, not just see the ones that had errors recently.
I also would like the old version back.
I do not want to have to install a client, or send data to MS cloud, and have to wait hours, when the old version worked instantly and did not require client or cloud.
Please bring it back - some customers (myself included) don't want to connect our DC's to a cloud-based management solution.
Our security policy warrants we use a tool like this versus something internet-based.
Henry Edouard commented
Bring it back!
Can we please have it back?
Quickly losing faith in Microsoft! Bring it back!!!!!