How can we improve Azure Log Analytics ?

Bring back the On-Prem AD Replication Status Tool

Version 1.0 is expired. The download page for version 1.1 only allows us to download the expired 1.0 version. The "cloud" version in OMS doesn't satisfy all of the same needs as the original version did. This was a very handy tool and I'd like to have it back.

Cross-post from: https://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/304621-active-directory/suggestions/11701692-bring-back-the-on-prem-ad-replication-status-tool

761 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ryan Ries [MSFT]Ryan Ries [MSFT] shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

70 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Donny SaundersDonny Saunders commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for putting the on-prem tool back, lately I have been getting popups that it will expire again, the download link just downloads the old installer, dated 4/20/2016.

Was someone enjoying some 4/20 festivities when they were supposed to be removing the expire date?

We (the SA's) who use this tool and are not able to use the cloud based management (OMS) for some reason or another, would really appreciate either an updated version, instructions on how to delete whatever registry key is triggering this, or get rid of the expiry date entirely.

• MikeMDMikeMD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The tool is now stating it will expire in 23 days and to download a new version from aka.ms/adreplicationstatus. However, the download there is the same one from April 20, 2016.

• PieterPieter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like every Monday, I run this tool this morning, but now I get
        "This version of the tool will expire in 25 day(s) 0 hour(s). Please download the latest version from...".

Please remove the expiration date. Or give us a good explanation why this tool is better with a built-in timebomb. It feels like Microsoft is just laughing at us.

• MikeDFLMikeDFL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Okay, thanks for giving it back! Now how do we disable the annoying and positively stupid nag popup for OMS?!!!!

• JasonJason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks, now never do something that stupid again, please. There are other ways to check replication status, but my god, why would you try forcing people to the cloud for something as simple as checking replication status?

• RichRich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

awesome - i got a survey about this and i voiced my opinion too! WOOT!

• AnonAnon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank You! The nag screen is not welcome but at least the tool is back.
        That said, taking away like you did was a real **** move.

Personally I hope the whole cloud initiative implodes. I am sure there are too many lemmings in the world willing to give away valuable data for the sake of "cool and convenient"

Glad I am close to retirement and I can bail out of this industry before Y2K repeats itself.

• ChelleChelle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For those of us who do not have OMS and are not planning on migrating to the MS cloud in the near future, this was truly a slap in the face. Such a useful tool to lose. Shame on you, Microsoft.

• Joe McGlynnJoe McGlynn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

New version of the tool going up on Microsoft as we speak or so I'm told.
        There is a popup advertising the OMS Version, but on premise version works now.
        Thanks to all who offered feedback.
        Joe

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why a survey? You guys are asking questions which the community has answered through this forum since the tool was set to expire. It seems to me that the OMS team has made up their mind, and they are doubling down not to re-release the tool.

• Ashley PlantAshley Plant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a crazy decision, but Microsoft do have a track record of making crazy decisions. It is also clearly a marketing led decision to drive everything to the cloud whether appropriate or not. The replication tool was a very simple yet very effective tool, and one that I would run regularly to check the status of AD replication in our environment. I can't even get onto OMS today, as the workspace that I created last week so I could continue to view the AD replication status now tells me that I do not have access to the OMS workspace, which of course I do as I created it!! Microsoft you have excelled with this one!!!!

• Rick SmithRick Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We do not want to have our Domain Controllers available to the Internet. There still should be a stand alone tooll available.

• PieterPieter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring the AD Replication Tool back.

As for the question from Admin "Can you share examples of things that are possible in the old tool, but aren’t possible with the OMS version?".
        - The old tool just worked.
        - I don't have System Center.
        - Why does that tool has a timer in the first place ? Even WinNT resource kit tools still work.
        - Every week I checked my AD health with that tool. And now I can start looking for something else. No Fun !

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base