Log Analytics

Welcome to the "Azure Log Analytics ":https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/log-analytics/ Feedback page. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to hearing from you. Use this site for new ideas and bug reports or to request help.
NOTE – Log Analytics is now a part of Operations Management Suite. Learn more at http://microsoft.com/OMS

How can we improve Azure Log Analytics ?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. inefficient sql queries

Give a report/recommendation in the SQL assessment IP for inefficient queries.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  SQL Assessment Solution  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Workspace Settings / Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Manage Azure VM's from a Solution

I am a Service Provider who offers managed ASR and Backup so two new solutions are great, but I also offer Managed VM's (IAAS) and managed App's (PAAS), I would like to be able to view and manage scoped views of VM's from the Azure VM's. This could be a list view of the VM's like how they are viewed in the Azure Portal, and basic abilities such as stop/start/pause/checkpoint VM's would be awesome (like you can do in the SCOM VMM MP). You could then have a create VM link and jump to Azure portal to create new VM…

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Ability to define a "friendly"name for machines reporting into Azure Opperational Insights

In our scenario as a ISV we have many machines at different customer sites that have the same machine name. It would be extremely helpful if we were able to provide a friendly name or a description for machines reporting into the Azure Operational Insights Console.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Add support for SQL Databases

To complete the monitoring scenario with PaaS services in Azure we will value the possibility of adding Operational Insights for Azure SQL Database to help to detect complex escenarios and points for improvement (most heavey queries, concurrency, use of the performance tiers, DTUs, in my apps, detect cpu consuming queries, RAM consuming queries, etc.).

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. workspace

I would like be able to have a consolidated view over one o more workspaces. Consider a multinational organization with local IT running different parts of the infrastructure and a consolidated view for central analysis.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Workspace Settings / Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. RBAC - DA - SLA

I was thinking about synchronizing OnPrem SCOM Distributed Applications to Insight, toghether with SLA/SLO,
    or an option to create DA in Insight (group objects) + the option to add RBAC to the group, this would eliminate the need to publish dashboards in SharePoint (or give access to SCOM) for tenants to see the general health of their scope of servers/applications

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Workspace Settings / Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Summary email for organisational accounts

Organisational accounts do not get a summary email, but accounts outside the organisation do. The option is not there in Settings. Could this feature be added please?
    I also posted here

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/azure/en-US/77786b07-8761-4edb-b093-6049a871283a/not-getting-summary-email?forum=opinsights

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Workspace Settings / Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Expand Data Retention for Security and Audit IP

Provide to ability to expand the data retention to 3-8 years. Some customers do have compliance rules to save their security related data for 8 years. When this could be accomplished we move our ACS implementations on premise to OpInsights.

148 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Security and Audit Solution  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Ability for Searchs to Have Titles

When I click on the "Locked-out Accounts" view from the Security IP, I am brought to the search section. There is no way on this page to tell what I am looking at without analysing the search. In the search bar it shows "EventID=4740" but who in their right mind has every event id memorized. There should be a title that shows I clicked on "Locked-out Accounts".

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Search UI and Language  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback.

This is similar to the behavior the mobile app has for ‘saved searches’ – they do show the title there.

Coded drill-downs today don’t carry a title across pages, and changing this has an overall impact on the breadcrumb code, most likely – see this other idea http://feedback.azure.com/forums/267889-azure-operational-insights/suggestions/6519263-moving-across-pages-needs-to-be-seamless-clickable

Keep in mind that the default drill down pages are meant as a convenience: once you identified a search you care about, you can SAVE it to your Saved Searches, and pin it on your own dashboard – those tiles in dashboards have a title (=the name of the saved search).

12. SSD Tier optimization

Collect and graph information from the "Storage Tier Optimization report" such as (SSD Tier Size Required/Size of SSD tier) and % of I/Os serviced from SSD tier

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Capacity Management Solution  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Control when Advisor MPs are downloaded

We need to control when Advisor MPs are introduced to our environment to prevent possible outages during production business hours. It would be nice to set a maintenance windows to control when changes are introduces. It would also be beneficial to be able to introduce the MPs to pre-Prod prior to Prod environments.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi, we are discussing this internally.

Today you have a way to do this, by overriding the rules that perform MP/IP download and import – there is an override MP here http://blogs.technet.com/b/momteam/archive/2015/02/06/notice-upcoming-url-change-for-opsmgr-reporting-to-opinsights.aspx
    - you could keep them turned off in PROD and leave them enabled in QA/TEST – once you see a new MP has been updated in the test environment, you can remove the override in prod/let the update run/then block it again.

We are determining how to make this more polished.
    Also see the similar idea http://feedback.azure.com/forums/267889-azure-operational-insights/suggestions/7161777-intelligence-pack-updates

14. Possible bug - Intelligence pack "drilldown links" does not work in Firefox

With the latest Firefox (36.0.4) it seems "drilldown links" in Intelligence Packs don't work. I open for example the Log Management one, click on the Event facet (to see all the event highlighted by the IP) and it jumps me to the Search Data Explorer start page, without showing the actual results. In IE it works properly, it shows the query results. It is true for other IPs as well.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Browser Support  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Change the link on the top left corner to take you to the "Home" location of Azure Op Insights rather than to the sales page on azure.com

Change the link on "Microsoft Azure Operational Insights" to jump to the home for Op Insights rather than to the azure.com sales web page. This is not what users expect when clicking on "Bread Crumbs"

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Browser Support  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The little square icon left of what looks like breadcrumbs does take you to ‘home’ today. We understand this is not intuitive – unfortunately there are some technical intricacies with the underlying Azure portal framework code that don’t make this straightforward to change – see also this related idea http://feedback.azure.com/forums/267889-azure-operational-insights/suggestions/6519263-moving-across-pages-needs-to-be-seamless-clickable

16. active directory group last accessed

Seeing when a group in Active Directory was last queried, so I can see which groups are no longer used.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Active Directory Assessment Solution  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This seems a very specific requirement, let’s see how many need this…

Maybe this type of scenario is more appropriate for the ‘Security and Audit’ intelligence pack http://feedback.azure.com/forums/267889-azure-operational-insights/suggestions/6519064-security-event-logs-should-be-collected which allows more ad-hoc exploration on the data that Windows already logs (if you enable certain audit policies).

AD Assessment performs specific configuration checks that can ‘pass’ or ‘fail’ – a list of groups is not a possible output for that model.

17. No more touch optimized GUIs

Make tools for professionals, productivity, flexibility and extensibility!

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Browser Support  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. archive data

Would it be possible to archive data back to on-premise once the data retention limit is hit - specifically with logs?
    Maybe a powershell do download everything.

It would be handy for organisations that need to keep information longer than 12 months.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

In the future we will work on plans for higher retention policy.

For the ‘export’ functionality, you might want to check the API idea http://feedback.azure.com/forums/267889-azure-operational-insights/suggestions/6519057-programmatically-submit-search-requests-and-receiv but, realistically, after you uploaded terabytes of data over a few months time… even the concept of downloading everything back at that point seems daunting.

19. Service Connector fails with http error 12044L

As described in the forums (https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/azure/en-US/196833f0-bc21-4301-b982-3146a1615877/connecting-agent-gives-http-error-12044l?forum=opinsights), on some machines the agent fails with an error HTTP error 12044L on domain joined machines. Error log attached, I scraped the workplace ID but feel free to take contact for details.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Message display bug

Added in a new log collection and when I hit save, this message came up, with a truncated question.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base