Azure Monitor-Log Analytics

Welcome to the "Azure Log Analytics ":https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/log-analytics/ Feedback page. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to hearing from you. Use this site for new ideas and bug reports or to request help.
NOTE – Log Analytics is now a part of Operations Management Suite. Learn more at http://microsoft.com/OMS

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Option to select Resource-Specific with CLI, PowerShell and Rest API for collect resources logs

Please add an option to select Resource-Specific with CLI, PowerShell and Rest API for collect resources logs.
    The documentation https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-monitor/platform/resource-logs-collect-workspace#select-the-collection-mode shows it's currently not possible to select this destination with a script. So all logs will be stored by default to AzureDiagnostics and we can face some limits with the number of columns of the table.
    It's also recommended by Microsoft to select Resource-Specific target tables, but in our context, we need to be able to do it in an automated fashion. Thanks

46 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

2. Rename Log Analytics workspace option

Option to rename a log analytics work space should be available. Default names kept and does not make sense when used later as workspace already exists.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Workspace Settings / Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

3. View surrounding logs

Kibana has an amazing feature, where you can view surrounding logs to the current log that you are investigating.
    Could we get this in Log Analytics.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Allow adding custom AD user attributes for AD and Sharepoint Analytics

We have attributes like Market ID per user , synced to Azure.
    Custom user attributes should be possible to sync to Analytics so you can use for queries , usage reports and so on.
    If not in you have to build a second loop, identify user, identify user related custom attribute , a mess for large tenants.
    At the end the same for the other integrations like Exchange, Sharepoint Analytics required

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Multiline log support

It is very inconvenient when the log comes separately from the stack trace messages, the order of the lines is mixed. This needs to be fixed. Ideally, everything should come in one message in multi lines

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Wrap text for a long line of log message

I would like to be able to see the entire text of the message in long lines, so as not to open and scroll this message

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Search UI and Language  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback and its now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

7. Bring back workspace favorites

The most recent change removed one of the most helpful features in the UI--the ability to 'favorite' workspaces. Now I have to click SELECT SCOPE,
    then select one of our HUNDREDS of subscriptions, drill down to the Resource Group, find my workspace, select it, and then click Apply.

Compare that to yesterday when I simply had to click on the favorited workspace in the UI and it would switch in one click.

I'm all for new UI functionality, but there is quite literally no reason to remove USEFUL features from the product.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Search UI and Language  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback and its now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

8. Provide soft delete function for data, not just Workspace

Currently it is possible to immediately and irrevocably delete data stored in a Log Analytics Workspace by reducing the data retention setting. This provides the possibility for user error - with increased probability via automated deployment routes - to lose significant amounts of data.

This concern could be reduced if it were possible to set a soft delete option for the data, akin to the way it works in Key Vault, meaning a two-stage 'purge' would be required, making it harder to accidentally remove historic data.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Workspace Settings / Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9. Download log analytics chart report in PDF format

log analytics feature we cant save the chart and graph as pdf format

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Centralised Log Analytics Agent management and consistent terminology

As is often the case with MS, there are too many ways of doing the same thing and they often clash.

Log Analytics Agent deployment is one of them.

As far as I can tell, you can deploy LAA in about five different ways: Extension, Manually, DSC, Security Center and Policy.

If I deploy via security center I can choose what level of Windows security logs I want importing.

There are then separate Data Collection settings within the workspace itself where I can specify the Windows Logs to import EXCEPT the security ones as it says the security log is…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your feedback. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows our document authoring team and also our product team to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

11. NPM agent bandwidth utilization

Getting ready to install the NPM Agent on about 500 Servers in my customers on premises environment but we need to be able to tell them approximately how much bandwidth this agent will be using we know that you can tell the NPM Agent to use no more than 5% of the CPU but we do not know how much bandwidth it will be using to send the gathered data to the Log Analytics workspace.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Network Monitoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the feature which would help understand the NPM agent bandwidth utilization when sending data to Log Analytics workspace .

12. Please make dashboard of each user "My Workplace Analytic" available on Sharepoint homepage

Dear Team, we would want to have a dashboard of workplace analytics display on the intranet homepage of our staff to provide a personalised view of their activity. Kindly provide us with a way we can achieve this.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  My Dashboard  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13. "Private Link – Log Analytics" availability in public preview & GA

Make Log Analytics Private Link available in public preview and GA

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Currently the JSON log messages getting truncated and split inot multiple lines when its very long

Currently we are facing an issue while analysing application logs. When the JSON log message is very long its getting into multiple lines. Our requirement is to get them in one line. Could you please help us fix this issue? Please let me know if you need any further informations?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Log Analytics agent support for specific event IDs

I'd like to be able to ingest specific Windows event log event IDs. Considering billing is done by ingestion, there are some Informational events I need to ingest while ignoring other, extremely noisy events. In my opinion, there should be more than an "all or nothing" configuration approach.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Why Does MS Continuously Break Things that Work???

I have Azure Functions. For certain operations, during development, I use context.getLogger().severe(logMessage); Simple. Straightforward. AppInsights, as piggish as it was, would at least show the message by default. I did not have to learn yet another bit of syntax that is almost but not quite like some other logging syntax. Now, I look at Log Analytics (something wrong with AppInsights as a name? Who could guess) and I get a bunch of useless IDs, but DO NOT GET THE LOG MESSAGE by default. OR THE SEVERITY. Supposedly a field called 'desc' should be in the result (is that the log…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Log Management and Log Collection Policy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Provide ability to schedule a query and export to a storage account

Azure Log Analytics has become a key for monitoring and operation. It would be great if Microsoft brings built-in schedule and export to a storage account. For example I have a query to query against AzureActivity. I would like to have that query be scheduled, and uploaded to a given storage account. I know this can be done technically with Azure Automation service though.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allow to specify file name when exporting

It would be good to allow user to name the file when it is being exported. Currently file name is like query_data.csv. Or it should add the current datetime to file name

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Browser Support  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19. Update Management

We have over 1500 VM's around the globe. I am setting up Update management per region. I have created a automation account and workspace for each region UK, USA, Europe.
    I need a centralised location to update the patches and windows updates.
    Is there a way to connect to the update management workspace with out losing the subscriptions default workspace as that is connected to Monitoring agent and network watcher.
    When will the Update management be available in UKWEST workspaces.
    Thank you

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Network Monitoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Allow substitution in workspace expression identifier

I would like the ability to substitute the identifier in the workspace() expression. The use case is specifying what workspace to query based on a some logic (case statement, etc..). Specifically, if this worked:

let wspace="myworkspacename"
    workspace(wspace).Perf
    | distinct Computers

It would provide the ability to build some logic when working with multiple workspaces.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base