Azure Monitor-Log Analytics

Welcome to the "Azure Log Analytics ":https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/log-analytics/ Feedback page. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to hearing from you. Use this site for new ideas and bug reports or to request help.
NOTE – Log Analytics is now a part of Operations Management Suite. Learn more at http://microsoft.com/OMS

How can we improve Azure Log Analytics ?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Respect the indentation/tabs in the logs

Our apps are currently logging request and response using indented JSON however Log Analytics removes all the indentation and pulls the text to the left which makes it difficult to understand.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Search UI and Language  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

2. ANSI colour coding in log messages

Many logging frameworks we are using use ANSI colour escape sequences to provide colour. These look fine in a console but when they get to log analytics, they show as the raw escape sequence like [96m.

We can turn off the colour to workaround this but it would be good to see support for it in Log Analytics.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Search UI and Language  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

3. Export Query Results to JSON

Please support exporting the results of Log Analytics queries to JSON format. Exporting to CSV and Power BI are currently supported but I would also like to see export to JSON.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. timestamp last collection only for all queries

There should be the possibillity to run query with the timestamp last data collection only whenever it was. ago or now-x not helpful and not correct for example on performance counters like free diskspace, or alternate have a filter option last timestamp per server, if you have the same server more as one time as result. Example timestamp perf counter >=1h. same server more as one time. I need only last collection.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Ability to use back button to navigate back to previous query in Azure Log Analytics

Currently the back button can't be used to navigate back to the last query in the new Azure Portal log analytics interface.
    There is no way of navigating back to a previous query which would be very useful if drilling down into a query and then wanting to revert.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Save Column Selections Along With Queries/Favorites

The log search and ability to save queries/favorites is looking good. However, please include the column filters, column positions, and Display Time setting in the saving of queries, so that each time we return to a saved query we don't need to re-configure all of those settings to achieve the desired view. Thank you!

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Search UI and Language  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Skip operator for Query Search

Old version Log Analytics has 'Skip' operator.
    But now, New version of Log Analytics Query does not have 'Skip' operator.

I want this feature.
    Because when we use Query via REST API, for limitation about Log Analytics API, we cannot download all logs at one time.
    So, we must execute API many again and again.

If there is 'skip' operator, I can use 'skip' and 'limit' for repeat.
    Now because there is no 'skip' operator, I don't get log from Log Analytics via REST API.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Search UI and Language  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 'render timechart' should support logarithmic y-scale

Currently I need to manually exclude one series that has especially high values from my timechart. It means that the automatic scale has a very high max which means that the other series are not easily viewable.

I'd like a parameter to 'render timechart' that lets me specify a log y scale, it will help all series to be visible.

It's a fairly common feature in data visualization generally.

I actually want this for Application Insights Analytics (https://feedback.azure.com/forums/357324-application-insights/suggestions/14110047-add-logarithmic-scale-to-charts). I'm not sure the right place for these requests now that there is standard Log Analytics Query Language.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Filters in OMS

It would be great if you could provide a set of entities without case sensitive names, or at least provide a set of entities that do not have the same name. I have found clientIp_s and clientIP_s ..... they are different!

A bit difficult to filter !

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. custom field based on regex

sorry if this has been asked I searched but could not find anything similar.

would love to be able to create a custom field based on a regex. Like I have csUsername as a field but I want to know the domain of the users not the email address, the stuff after the @ is this possible or are you working on it.

love oms so far,I hopefully I didn't miss something

ps this doesn't need to be a regex could be things like split,trim,end, lastindexof, etc..

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Search UI and Language  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Log Search is slow

Some searches seem very slow. For example, try
    Type=SecurityEvent (EventID="4624") for the last 7 days and it never completes. I do see an 'Internal Server Error' in the UI, but it give no details.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Search UI and Language  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Ability to turn off Filter (preview)

When using the Log Analytics query portal, every time we execute a query, the portal automatically switches to the Filter (preview) pane. When working with complex data (such as AzureDiagnostics or Syslog), this hangs the browser--sometimes for several minutes.

Can we please have the option to turn this feature OFF? I personally find it useless for my day-to-day work anyway (and I live in Log Analytics).

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. More Useful tiles in View Designer

Please, add more view dashboards to be used inside View Designer or allow us to use create/customize them in a HTML-ish way. Displaying data with multiple columns as a table is a nightmare, espacially if you don't have a number/timestamp column, but that's the most required data; content is unreadable.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Right Click Paste

The right click menu is missing paste in the new Log Analytics blade and the Log Analytics advanced portal. Copy and Cut are there, no paste.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Log Analytics -> Logs (Preview) blade needs Saved Searches-like feature

The current "Logs" blade is pre-populated with "A few more queries to try" and heavily pre-populated "Saved Searches" for common queries. This UI feature was critical to my understanding of log queries. If the new "Logs (Preview)" blade is to supersede the current "Logs" blade: please bring over a similar each to find and use feature.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Category dropdown when adding a saved search from Log Search blade

While in the Log Search Blade, selecting Saved searches, then selecting Add, a category dropdown should appear to select existing categories to add to. The ability to add a new category should continue as well.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Add a keyboard shortcut to comment / uncomment the current line in the query editor (like CTRL+K in VS)

There already is a shortcut that allows to run the query (Shift+Enter), which is great.
    A shortcut to toggle wheter the current line is a comment or not (by adding / removing "//" at the beginning of the line) would be great and save a lot of time while editing queries / functions.

Similar to the shortcut VS or any other IDE: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/zainnab/2010/04/13/comment-and-uncomment-code/

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Ignore the mouse (until click) when suggesting searches

Ignore the mouse over suggestions in the search field, unless an option is clicked. When typing in a search query, I hit enter to execute the search and OMS selects one of it's suggested options because the mouse happened to be left in the middle of the screen.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Running a query should not reset result view

I've run a query and look at the line chart representing the data. I realize that the query should be altered.

I alter the query and click Go in the upper right corner.
    Instead of the line chart I just had, I now get the "raw" table data. I then have to select Chart and then Line to get back to the view I just had.
    This is fairly inconvenient.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Date facet and TimeGenerated in query are inconsistent - can we override or disable Date facet

The Date facet in the log query screen seems to apply inconsistently - if I specificy the timeframe I want to query it may or may not override my query and use it's set default range
    e.g. I use TimeGenerated>NOW-30DAYS in my query, but as I have NOT adjusted the Date facet it restricts my results to the "Data based on the last 1 day" - which is what the Date facet is set to by default for each new query
    It would be good if Date filter could be turned off for queries

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base