Azure Monitor-Log Analytics

Welcome to the "Azure Log Analytics ":https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/log-analytics/ Feedback page. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to hearing from you. Use this site for new ideas and bug reports or to request help.
NOTE – Log Analytics is now a part of Operations Management Suite. Learn more at http://microsoft.com/OMS

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. OMS Agent should not consume excessive CPU/memory space

The OMS Agent for Linux takes up a large amount of CPU/memory space, which causes issues when running on Kubernetes clusters. Azure Security Center automatically installs the OMS Agent on all VMs, and users are frustrated by having to uninstall it in order to regain the CPU/memory space. The OMS Agent should not take up an overly large amount of CPU/memory space.

43 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Parameterized saved searches

Currently, we are able to create parameterized functions by using the 'let' command.

Example:

let f=(a:int, b:string) { strcat(b, ":", a) }

This sounds great in concept... until you find out that this only works if you type your entire function at the beginning of each query because these functions aren't 'stored' and you can't save the function as a saved search because then the search engine starts complaining when there is no output...

So, saved searches behave right now as SQL views. Even though there is a "function" concept it doesn't seem like we can create parameterized functions at…

42 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Recursive Log Collection paths

Recursive Log collection paths for Custom Logs

This will help users like me with folders that have logs + subfolders with logs.

42 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Allow me to remove managed systems (Management Groups and Directly Connected Servers/Agents) from Usage page

Implements a feature to remove managed ( Management Groups and to Directly Connected Servers ) Overview Usage from want? I think even if servers Connected Directly, the agent is uninstalled, cannot be removed from Operational Insights Usage. Cannot disconnect in the SCOM Management Groups are for the Operational Insights on want to remove.

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

In the current implementation, Management groups CAN already be removed, but only once they are ‘stale’ == have not reported ANY data for >14days, the link to remove will appear.

The number of Directly reporting agents in ‘settings’ page is the actual number of servers registered, but the drill down will take you to search (where servers presence is inferred from the data).

We will be working on options to de-register directly connected servers, similarly to we offer for SCOM management groups.

5. Disconnect OMS from SCOM

If I want disconnect OMS from my SCOM environment is not possible unless I remove a MP that manage this component. This is not good for experience and also require many days after complete cleaning can be done from OMS.

You should introduce a Disconnect button to detach SCOM from OMS with the automatic remove of SCOM MG into OMS portal.

S

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Workspace Settings / Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt484104.aspx#To-remove-a-connection-from-Operations-Manager-to-OMS

To remove a connection from Operations Manager to OMS

You can remove the Microsoft System Center Advisor Secure Reference Override management pack to disconnect the Operations Manager from OMS.

Another way to stop sending data to OMS is to remove all Operations Manager computers that are registered to OMS.

6. RDS infratruture monitoring

Hi Team, could we add monitoring for RDS infrastructure into MOMS ? ie. user logged on, user client IP, client IP latency , Client App latency etc.

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Make it more meaningful with color grids and pie and graphs charts.

Make it more meaningful with color grids and pie and graphs charts. For example for each scenario rather just displaying as text or graph bar have color vibrant or allow users to chose what color they want to use to reflect important data in charts and graphs. We are not just competing with industry on how OMS produce valuable data but also how we are presenting it.

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Mobile App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Allow for performance data to be monitored by the VMware solution

Add the possibility to monitor performance data as well in VMware environments, both for the hosts and for the VM´s.

Examples for what I would want to look at with the solution;
    * Are there any snapshots? If so, what´s the size and age of these?
    * Show information about the datastores connected, both the size and usage details (free space, used space etc.)
    * Host CPU and memory utilization
    * VM CPU and memory utilization

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Support the import of complex JSON objects

Just discovered it's not possible to import complex JSON objects, even objects with an array of strings fails. Please allow for the ability to import complex JSON objects!

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Extensibility / Partner scenarios  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 'render timechart' should support logarithmic y-scale

Currently I need to manually exclude one series that has especially high values from my timechart. It means that the automatic scale has a very high max which means that the other series are not easily viewable.

I'd like a parameter to 'render timechart' that lets me specify a log y scale, it will help all series to be visible.

It's a fairly common feature in data visualization generally.

I actually want this for Application Insights Analytics (https://feedback.azure.com/forums/357324-application-insights/suggestions/14110047-add-logarithmic-scale-to-charts). I'm not sure the right place for these requests now that there is standard Log Analytics Query Language.

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Search UI and Language  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add Resource Group Tags to Power BI Azure Consumption

Add another table to Power BI Azure Consumption to allow relating resource usage costs to tags defined at the Resource Group level.

Each record This table would have a resource group. Each column would be the tag name. See suggested layout, attached.

This allows the tag hierarchy / inheritance which so many others have asked for in other feedback requests.

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add native support for AIX

Provide native support for SCOM monitored AIX systems.

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Add wildcard character feature for folder in Custom log path

introduce this wildcard character feature in log path future.
    For example
    C://test//log/.log

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

15. Support a service tag which denotes the IP address space for Log Analytics

Currently, we don't support a service tag which denotes the IP address space for Azure Log Analytics service. There are scenarios where a customer would like to allow only the outbound traffic to the Log Analytics service by using NSG. Such customers are requires to whitelist all IP addresses of Azure datacenter. However the customers need to update the settings of NSG every week because there's a possibility that the Azure IP ranges are changed once a week. This requires complicated procedures and high-maintenance. So, it would be great if the service tag for the Log Analytics service is supported…

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Dynamics 365 Analytics

I'd like to be able to analyse metrics from my 'Dynamics 365 for Operations' deployments (Prod and Sandboxes), much like you can O365 Analytics solution ...please :)

...I imagine this would appeal to CRM peeps too.

Cheers,

Thad

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Target Solution packs to group of computers/data centers

I don't want to use ALL solution packs on ALL onboarded servers. At the moment the only workaround is to create workspaces by solution pack and maintain your server list by solution packs.

1) While Adding a Solution; optionally specify groups to target. (e.g. All; only this group members or All groups except members of this group)
    2) Track data/$$ by solution pack and by servers/user defined groups. This can be used to Alert when a SP or computer/group consumes more than expected-->trigger runbook to unload SP on the server.
    3) Configure data flow by restricting (Servers; solutions;group of servers;…

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Power BI dataset in PBI desktop

The PowerBI dataset that OMS creates via the PowerBI OMS export is apparently ONLY available in the PowerBI service (the website). We can't access with PowerBI Desktop, therefore we can't create datamodel or create measurements for the OMS exported dataset. This makes the excel connection completely useless.

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Consolidate OMS Agent and ServiceMap Agent

Can we get a single agent for this solution? We are getting a lot of push-back on having two install two agents to get this functionality.

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Service Map  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is something we are actively working on. Note that the two agents will likely never be fully consolidated into a single executable. What we are going to do is make it easier to manage the Dependency Agent so that in most cases, it’s not a separate manual install.

20. Enable configuration of multiple log analytics workspaces for linux agent

Currently the log analytics agent for Linux only supports the configuration of one log analytics workspace. It'd be of advantage to be able to send the logs to multiple log analytics workspaces.

We have a probably quite common setup among mid to large size enterprises that consists of hub(s) and multiple subscriptions connected to them. For Update Management we are utilizing Azure Automation which should be controlled through our hub(s). Azure Automation therefore requires to be linked to one log analytics workspace in the same subscription.

At the same time the development / operations teams that make use of the…

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base