Azure Monitor-Log Analytics

Welcome to the "Azure Log Analytics ":https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/log-analytics/ Feedback page. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to hearing from you. Use this site for new ideas and bug reports or to request help.
NOTE – Log Analytics is now a part of Operations Management Suite. Learn more at http://microsoft.com/OMS

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Open up the capacity management pack for other systems/counters without VMM

Would be great to be able to do some capacity planning on other counters or systems (sql dabatabase, scsm, scom orchestrator). You have a great engine in the backend so please utilize it fully. for example: would be great to be able to import other SCOM data like SQL perf counters so I can do capacity planning on my SQL servers. Or to be able to do capacity planning on physical hosts that are not managed by VMM.

219 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    12 comments  ·  Capacity Management Solution  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Capacity Planning Efficiency chart doesn't reveal names of affected VMs

Overview -> Capacity -> Compute has Efficiency chart. The pie chart sums up normal, overutilized, idle, and powered off VMs. There are links to view details and to view in Excel.
    Issue: You can't tell what the names of the VMs are in the various states from either the web search view or the Excel download. Both show only the 'count' not the 'names' of the VMs.
    Recommendations (1) Make the Efficiency pie chart clickable so when I click on a region such as "Overutilized" that I get the names of the overutilized VMs (2) Add VM names to the…

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Capacity Management Solution  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow multi-select for 'Scope' in Capacity dashboards

It should be possible to select multiple VMM's Host Groups in the 'Scope' drop down menu, not just one at the time or 'all'.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Capacity Management Solution  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Scope would be more useful if it could target VMM Clouds

We would love to see Advisor be able to provide capacity intelligence on a per cloud basis, whilst I can see the challenges this presents to develop it would be a winning feature for us.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Capacity Management Solution  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Capacity Pie Charts not visible when Scoped

Pie charts appear only under Global perspective. Pie charts missing when scoping.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. ManagementPack cannot be imported because it contains a Managed Type with the same name as an existing type

I'm receiving errors on the event log since a few weeks ago every 5 minutes:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
    <Provider Name="DataAccessLayer" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="32768">33333</EventID>
    <Level>3</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-09-01T17:00:23.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>1737027</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Operations Manager</Channel>
    <Computer>SRVOPMPZG001.u-tad.es</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    - <EventData>
    <Data>MPInfra_p_ManagementPackInstall -- (ManagementPackXML=<ManagementPack xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema&quot; xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform&quot; ContentReadable="t...), (ManagementPackXMLUpdateFragment=), (RunTimeXML=<ManagementPack xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema&quot; xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform&quot; ContentReadable="t...), (MPKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35), (VersionDependentId=4e2896ed-2d87-6633-c60e-63add162c6ec), (RETURN_VALUE=0)</Data>
    <Data>16</Data>
    <Data>777980300</Data>
    <Data>ManagementPack cannot be imported because it contains a Managed Type with the same name as an existing type: Microsoft.SystemCenter.Advisor.VirtualMachineManager.Storage.StoragePool</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Please add SAN Storage Analytics specific to Failover Clustering and CSVs

This is a gap for a lot of teams we monitor and they want to see reports specific to SAN Storage, Failover Clustering, and CSV capacity metrics. How cool would it be for them to do their Ad-Hoc queries via Advisor Analytics portal and not have any access back to my on premise SSRS system? Anyone else have similar requests?

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This has been enabled!
    Local-attached storage and SAN now have separate drill downs.

If you want to see SAN support and you are running SC2012 SP1 and not R2, a couple more of needed management packs are not automatically imported in OpsMgr.
    They can be found under SelectCDImage\ManagementPacks folder in the SCOM media.

Microsoft.SystemCenter.VirtualMachineManager.Storage.2012.Discovery
    Microsoft.SystemCenter.VirtualMachineManager.Storage.2012.Monitoring
    Microsoft.SystemCenter.VirtualMachineManager.Storage.Library

8. Capacity Planner has been aggregating data for several weeks but still no graphs.

My capacity planner intelligence pack is aggregating data and has been doing so for several weeks but still no graphs.

The event logs on my VMM and SCOM servers shows nothing out of the ordinary and the integration between VMM and SCOM works (I get all the data I'm supposed to be getting in SCOM).

I've checked all steps here http://blogs.technet.com/b/momteam/archive/2014/05/29/advisor-error-3000-unable-to-register-to-the-advisor-service-amp-onboarding-troubleshooting-steps.aspx and they all check out. Almost.

I have dual MP for the Capacity Planning Intelligence Pack: http://1drv.ms/10oMMBv

As you can see they have exactly the same attributes except for the description and when they were installed.

I was planning…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

The MPs are fine – there are two MPs with the same display name (if you look at their properties you’ll see the actual MP ID is different) and it’s currently by design. You can’t download them… SCOM checks for new MPs (associated with the IP’s you’ve added to advisor) and downloads them every 10 minutes.

I am closing this as we solved the onboarding stage and are engaged with you on the SOFS-specific issue now.

9. Capacity Intelligence Pack does not work if SCOM-VMM integration in not in place

If this is a requirement it should be at least documented. It doesn't say in the documentation nor in the text in the Intelligence Pack 'gallery'.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

You need to enable the VMM SCOM connectivity in order to use the capacity intelligence pack. This has been documented here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/library/dn500856.aspx
    In order to find out how to connect VMM with Operation Manager please go here
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh882396.aspx

Also, if you are running 2012 SP1 and not R2, a couple more of the needed management packs are not automatically imported. these are needed to support SAN storage.

They can be found under SelectCDImage\ManagementPacks folder in the SCOM media.

◾Microsoft.SystemCenter.VirtualMachineManager.Storage.2012.Discovery
    ◾Microsoft.SystemCenter.VirtualMachineManager.Storage.2012.Monitoring
    ◾Microsoft.SystemCenter.VirtualMachineManager.Storage.Library

10. Capacity IP does not show data for the past 6 hours or 1 day

Hi,
    When I click on the Capacity MP tile and I change the scope for timeframe to 6 hours or 1 day no data is being showed. In previous versions I was able to see data for the past 6 hours or 1 day. Is this by design to not show data for the past 6hours/1 day now?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is currently by design. We have a 24 (+4) hour delay at processing capacity data to power the capacity drill downs, which means we are now processing yesterday’s data.

Some of the PerfHourly data you see in search is available sooner (2/3 hours delay), but the one ‘produced’ by OpInsighst as part of the capacity analysis job is slower – just check ObjectName=‘Advisor Metrics’ as opposed to any other counter.

HTH

11. Changing the host group does not update the dashboard

When I go from Global Scope to a Host-Group, the dashbord is updated. However, when I choose another Host-Group to view, the dashboard is still showing the previous Host Group and does not update.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Capacity "Virtual Machines Used" always shows static number

In the Capacity solution, the "Virtual Machines Used" always shows a static number regardless of the date selected in the slider. If I change the "data based on last 7 days" from the top right, I can get the count for a specific date, but the graph is still flat with only one number.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Capacity Management Solution  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Capacity Management - Disk Performance - No graph lines in Microsoft Edge browser

When using Microsoft Edge to access the Disk Performance in Capacity Management the lines in the graph are not visible. (as per attached screen shot)

The data points are there and hovering over the chart moves the cursor dot, just not showing the visual line.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Capacity Management graph

It would be great to be able to change the scale on the Y axis of the Capacity Management Virtual Machine Count graph to show more meaningful data. Currently my graph shows a scale in 1000's and since my lab only has about 30 VM's this does not allow us to see meaningful data for capacity planning.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Scope by Host group showing "0 of 0 Host Groups"

This use to drop down a full list but is now empty. see attached image

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Stephen, the Capacity team tells me a fix for this has been deployed. Can you see/confirm this is working now for you?

We will follow up with you separately as it appears this was a special case with some column in the OpsDatabase not having the expected name… we are still determining whether this depends on having an upgraded environment as opposed to a fresh install of OM/VMM.

16. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

It was determined that the chart is working as it was designed.

What the tool is saying is that by the projected date, with the current trend, you’d have 0 cores used.

The confidence interval of +-181 is quite large due to the volatility in core usage.

This prediction is not ideal but was caused by a fairly steady decrease in cores used in your environment observed over a period of time.

17. Capacity Planner seems to ignore SOFS storage for VMs

Capacity Planner doesn't track any of the storage on my SOFS cluster available to my hosts for VMs.

I'm running System Center 2012 R2 so I'm under the impression that I shouldn't have to enable any additional MP's.

Then again, when looking closer now it seems as if there is no information about my SMB shares anywhere in SCOM either.

VMM has full knowledge of the shares though (see attached image).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I am told by the team that SMB (if managed by VMM) should be enabled – but that storage should show under the ‘File Server’ tile in Capacity.

If that’s not the case we can investigate with you.

The first things to check would be to make sure SOFS capacity data collection is actually happening from OM.

Check if this MP has been imported (it should come down from Advisor automatically) and if the rules are present in this MP and enabled. (Use the ‘show running rules for this healthservice’ and ‘show failed rules for this healthservice’ tasks).
    If these rules are running, for additional clues, check for events 8600, 8601 on hyper-v hosts event log & 8602, 8603 on VMM servers under “Operations Manager” event log.

MP name – Microsoft.IntelligencePacks.StorageDataCollection
    MP display name – Microsoft System Center Advisor Capacity Storage Data
    Rule – Microsoft SystemCenter SMB Client Shares…

18. Troubleshooting Capacity Management integration

It would be helpful to understand alerts or issues related to making the capacity management intelligence pack function properly. My customer has configured SCVMM interop with SCOM but the pack is still showing "Data aggregation in progress".

Having more "intelligence" around what steps are missing or why it isn't working would be helpful as it's pretty much a guessing game otherwise.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Yes, we are determining how to ease the process. This is a similar idea http://feedback.azure.com/forums/267889-azure-operational-insights/suggestions/6519254-need-more-status-update-than-let-it-run-overnight you can vote on. There is another about not requiring VMM altogether http://feedback.azure.com/forums/267889-azure-operational-insights/suggestions/6662146-open-up-the-capacity-management-pack-for-other-sys
    Please refer to those in terms of ideas.

Today, you can refer to the troubleshooting blog post http://blogs.technet.com/b/momteam/archive/2014/05/29/advisor-error-3000-unable-to-register-to-the-advisor-service-amp-onboarding-troubleshooting-steps.aspx especially the ‘VERIFYING IF THINGS ARE WORKING’ section.

Closing this item to reflect the resolution of the incidents with Performance data aggregation we have experienced in the first/second week of December 2014.

19. Are there any plans to plug in utilization data into Capacity IP

Capacity without utilization provides an unfinished storyline. Since performance counters are available in SCOM, would it be possible to provide utilization data?
    A case in point, if I have a bank of Cores and memory but if host is tipping with current configuration, it provides compelling argument better utilize the available capacity

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

What do you mean by utilization?
    Have you tried search queries such as

• Type:PerfHourly CounterName:“% Processor Time” InstanceName:“_Total” | Measure avg(SampleValue) as AVGCPU by RootObjectName | Sort AVGCPU desc | Top 5
    • Type:PerfHourly CounterName:“% Processor Time” InstanceName:“_Total”

Also consider the idea to collect arbitrary (custom defined) performance counters http://feedback.azure.com/forums/267889-azure-operational-insights/suggestions/6519061-collect-custom-windows-performance-counters

20. Time line in Capacity graph is not readable

Hi,

When I'm looking at the capacity graph (see attachment) the time line is not readable at all.

Thanks,
    Alex

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Capacity Management Solution  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base