Incorrect response codes in Log Analytics for WordPress apps hosted in App Service
We have a couple WordPress apps hosted in an Azure App Service and MySQL database. We've enabled Application Insights which does capture some information that can be useful.
Upon building dashboards with this data, we've noticed all the http response codes collected are 200 even though in the raw logs some responses are 404 (page not found). This makes the information when attempting to build useful dashboards invalid and/or inconsistent when we want to capture failures.
Support ticket was raised but advised WordPress and App Insights is not supported. Please either remove the option for the plugin or provide support and fix this.
As an alternative, we've resorted to using Google Analytics plugin.
Thanks for your feedback and its now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.