Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

Azure Cosmos DB

Have feedback for Azure Cosmos DB product? Submit your idea here or upvote other ideas. All feedback is monitored and reviewed by the Azure Cosmos DB team. 

This site is for feature suggestions only. For technical questions or issues, please submit them to StackOverflow,where we and the community can better help you.

Please use the following categories when submitting your idea.

SQL API: Query language features, syntax using SQL API, indexing, any other core features in Azure Cosmos DB.

Gremlin API: Graph features and capabilities using Gremlin API.

Cassandra API: Features and capabilities using Cassandra API.

MongoDB API: Features and capabilities using MongoDB API.

Table API: Features and capabilities using Table API.

Etcd API: Features related to using etcd as a configuration store for Kubernetes.

Azure Synapse Link: Features related to Azure Cosmos DBanalytical store and Azure Synapse Analytics run-time support

Built-in Notebooks: Features related to built-in Notebooks in Azure Cosmos DB.

SDK: Features related to Azure Cosmos DB SDKs for SQL API.

Change Feed: Features related to Change Feed.

Management: All management features, backup/restore,monitoring, ARM, PowerShell and CLI.

Portal: All features for Azure Portal and Cosmos DB Explorer.

Emulator: Features related to the Azure Cosmos Emulator.

Other: Features not related to any other category.

Security:
Authentication, authorization,permissions and encryption features.

Monitoring:
Metrics, monitoring, alerts,and diagnostics features.

Server-side: Stored procedures, Triggers,and User-Defined Functions.

Managed Apache Cassandra: Featuresand capabilities related to Azure Managed Instance for Apache Cassandra.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Use the Azure Cosmos DB Explorer favicon for the emulator

I often have many tabs open with the Microsoft logo on them, since I frequently peruse Microsoft's excellent documentation pages.

When I run the Cosmos DB emulator at the same time, I often have trouble finding the correct tab for its explorer, because it uses the same favicon as the documentation (and a whole host of other Microsoft websites, I'm sure).

Knowing that there already exists a favicon for such an explorer (namely the one at https://cosmos.azure.com), I propose that this icon is also used for the emulator, to make it easier to find the explorer window.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Emulator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Wildcard Index exist in some the collection in Azure Cosmos DB

I have created a database in Cosmosdb and created some collection. When I created database version was 3.2. But after the migration of the 3.6 , there was index policy in the database. But there is one concern here. In some collection there is Wildcard index exist but in some of the collection not. I just want to know about the Wildcard index policy in the newer version of the Mongodb database in CosmosDB.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  MongoDB API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make more metrics available at less granularity than PT5M

NormalizedRUConsumption is available with the following granularities :PT1M, PT5M, PT1H, P1D

This is useful. I was able to pull per collection level details from Azure Monitor for an account with 111 collections at hour granularity for 28 days with no issue (c. 75,000 data points).

I also wanted some other details though - specifically ProvisionedThroughput at the moment (though this comment applies to a lot of available metrics).

The fact that this is only available at 5 minute granularity means that I have to request 895,104 data points for the same number of collections and periods and then aggregate it…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Monitoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Inconsistent casing returned for database names by NormalizedRUConsumption and ProvisionedThroughput

I found when requesting metrics from NormalizedRUConsumption that in some cases the database names were returned with different casing than are used by the ProvisionedThroughput metric.

I would expect there to be some canonical form that is used throughout.

An example of why this causes an issue is that I do the request for NormalizedRUConsumption first and then (in power query) call a function that gets the ProvisionedThroughput for that database. This fails to return anything for some databases where the casing is different (and passed as $filter parameter to Azure Monitor)

It isn't clear how one would know up…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Monitoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Utilize indexes for groupby

Currently using 'group by' can more expensive (by a lot) than just running the same query multiple times filtering off the groups;

For example, in my data where there are 8 'Stages', if I 'group by c.Stage' the query costs 900 RU, whereas if I run 8 queries where each query has 'where c.Stage = @stage', for each stage, the cost is 3.94 RU per query.

Is it possible for the group by to be able to utilize the indexing power that WHERE utilizes to improve the throughput?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Gremlin API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Cursor for a non-existent collection

My partner is developing their service based FIWARE as OSS on Azure . They usually use mongoDB on on-premise. I would appreciate it if you could fix this difference between MongoDB and Azure CosmosDB mongodb API.
    This is their feedback as below :

• In FIWARE Orion, there is a case to perform a find for a collection that does not exist, for example, for automatic collection generation, but in this case, it receives unexpected search results and fail.

• [Difference between mongoDB and Azure CosmosDB mongo API]

• [mongodb] The cursor found in a non-existent collection is empty, and false is returned…
    1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. slice projection not working mongodb

User.findById({ _id: req.params.id }).slice('blacklistGroup', [0, 2]).then((res) => { outputs slice must be an integer error. More details here https://stackoverflow.com/q/61290693/2683814

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  MongoDB API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Return random for $sample

$sample should return an actual random sample.

Right now it returns the top/first N items. This is preventing us from porting code over the Cosmos DB.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  MongoDB API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. cosmos db metric not raising/recording http 401/403 response

cosmos db metric not raising/recording http 401/403 response.
    It will be helpful if this is included as part of metrics

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Monitoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Fix IsUpsert=true bulk operations in MongoDB API

Handling RU exceptions and retries correctly is ridiculously time consuming to get right. More so, when using bulk operations with IsUpsert=true, there is a bug in that CosmosDB silently fails without throwing any mongo db exception.

See https://stackoverflow.com/questions/63351358/cosmosdb-mongodb-isupsert-not-working-for-bulk-updates

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. File name messes up with status after uploading JSON documents to Cosmos DB

File name messes up with status after uploading JSON documents to Cosmos DB when the file name is a little too long. It ruins the look and feel of Azure

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Clear Rate Limiting warning faster

When you reach a rate limit, and then subsequently increase the RU's the Map shows Orange / rate limited for a long time (a few hours it seems) after it has been increased and no longer rate limiting...

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Anton. Thank you for your suggestion. Yes, the rate limit graphic is overly aggressive. We are planning to change that behavior so it more closely maps actual rate limiting.

This work is planned but we do not have a precise ETA. Will update here either when this is started and for sure when it is complete.

Thank you for your suggestion.

14. Please add feature that trigger Azure function, when when data is inserted only

At now, there is feature that trigger Azure function, when when data is inserted or modified.
    Please add feature that trigger Azure function, when when data is inserted only.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Change Feed  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Be able to add an alias containing a space in Cosmos SQL

It would be nice to be able to use syntax such as

select 1 as 'hello world' from c

{
    'hello world': 1
    }

to be able to select an alias containing a space. Resulting in the json attribute containing a space. Currently this gives a

'Syntax error, incorrect syntax near ''hello world''.

exception

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  SQL API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Order by string to number in cosmosdb

Currently order by string to number is not working in cosmosdb

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  SQL API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Azure Cosmos DB serverless a maximum limit of 5000 RU/s

Are there a plans to increase
    These lead only to use Azure Cosmos DB serverless for Development and building prototypes

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Mongo API should support "updateDescription" in Change Streams

It would be very beneficial if the Change Event included the "updateDescription" field while using Change Streams. The full document can't be guaranteed to be reflective of the actual document at update time. The "updateDescription" values will be very helpful for auditing.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  MongoDB API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Table Strorage JAVA SDK Performance Tuning

Table Storage JAVA SDK does not provide concurrency option for any of its operation. We are getting TPS of around 500 for table insert queries but it is also because we have designed our data model such that.
    Async functionality is available for Table Storage C sharp SDK but not for JAVA SDK.
    It would be good if there is concurrency option for Table Storage Java SDK.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Table API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Add Select * without X capability (project-away)

Add Select * without X capability (similar to project-away in Kusto). To be able to bring all documents, but without a nested field (that can be large array for example), and this in order to save RUs

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  SQL API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base