Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jose FajardoJose Fajardo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

32 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We also would need a full blown on-premise DocumentDB, because of security restrictions and restrictions based on legislation. Or, the JSON support in SQL Server should be enhanced, so that a DocumentDB would not be needed.
        Until that time I am afraid we would have to make to choice for a none-Microsoft product, which is not our preferred option.

• SAinCASAinCA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Must have. Will not contemplate the Stack without it, as we need a noSQL that isn't mongodb, Cassandra e.g. all. Demo at SQL Pass today was compelling.

• Eric PearsonEric Pearson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely would like to stick with Microsoft stack for document dbs rather than going to Mongo/Cassandra, but many customers simply will not allow cloud storage and require on-premise.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If Azure datacentre was available in Africa, we would use cloud. Until then we need on premise solution

• Dave BownDave Bown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No doubt running in Azure Stack would be great for those who can afford it. But now MS have gone down the route of forcibly bundling it with what will be very expensive hardware solutions I'd much rather you ship this to run outside of it i.e. via Service Fabric on normal Windows Server.

• laura edelllaura edell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a Microsoft DSA dedicated to one of our largest consumer of Azure's services today. They have expressed quite a bit of interest in an on-premise DocDB and asked me to inquire about the viability of such an offering. In fact, they pointed me to this discussion thread.

Please advise if there is any traction...

Laura Edell
        DSA, Microsoft

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is must for us, As we have lot existing on premise customers at the same time we are also moving to cloud

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On premise DocumentDB is a must. It will ease NoSQL data management without the need to be connected to the cloud.

• LinusLinus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some of my clients in the private sector have moved their web apps to cloud solutions while at the same time persisting data on-premise in e.g. traditional SQL solutions since it's implicitly required by local laws pertaining to information security. Having the option to run NoSQL as a service in a hybrid cloud, persisting document-style data to on-premise, would provide a solution for several of the challenges that these clients currently face with their traditonal SQL solutions.

• MarcMarc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You need to seriously consider releasing an on prem DocumentDB version, if for no other reason than development purposes. The lack of this prevents us from using it in any of our solutions

• Colin SmithColin Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to consider that applications may not always live in the cloud, there may be a change requirement at any time for data to be on-premise; this being the case I can't consider this product, which is a shame.

• dennydenny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

multi fold, for dev / test and as an option to make a project portable.
        if the company wants to develop a system but not be locked into azure or not have to develop a library that allows it to be replaced with another library like MongoDB

• Christian BuntrockChristian Buntrock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What a pity. It becomes more important when using ASP Web API framework together with Angular when it is required to have easy JSON support without SQL to avoid EF-Mapping when data integrity is less important than speed. So I have to use MongoDB now. Microsoft is waiting until Customers completely use software from other companies. THEN they will release it... ;)

• Rich BellantoniRich Bellantoni commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah it's pretty stupid to not have on premise for document DB. I would be using it right now if it did.
        Unfortunately in the healthcare field, even though the cloud hosting is secure, many security agreements in contracts forbid cloud services for security purposes. So we are stuck with onpremise software.....they should really reconsider this, especially with mongodb having a standalone version as well.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base