How can we improve Azure Cosmos DB?

[DocumentDB] Allow Paging (skip/take)

Allowing paging would be huge. Btw, Thank You for rolling out this feature at all! It looks wonderful! Can't wait to try it! However, I won't be able to use it for actual work projects until it supports paging and sorting.

2,182 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Fred Steffen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

64 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Aaron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's been 3.25 years. How long does it take to implement this? We want to switch from RavenDB, but CosmosDB just has too many limitations.

• Rob Teixeira commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously? Still no update to this in over a year? Lack of Skip just torpedoed Cosmos DB for my project. Back to SQL Azure...

• Justin Staffer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Skip is a big deal for us. LINQ is too slow and we would need to pull a ton of data. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

• Bryce Godfrey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not only skip/take but also the total count in the result set would be beneficial. The example of a list of records where I need to show the total count and let the user page through them.

• Micah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Where is this at? What are we supposed to do until this point? Pull the entire data set back and page it in code?

• Steve Haran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really need to implement paging - it seems like the most basic of requirements. Please - any updates?

• Sam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is this taking so long? This has been kicking around for ages now.

Question: What is the utility of DocDb if you can't page through results in large datasets?

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any ETA or Update, DoumentDB is a great product. Although without proper paging support (Page forward and Back, get specific page etc) its use in web applications is limited.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, how far is this?

The link by Henrik Ebbeskog shows how to iterate, but not how to page. (Paging is when the user can go to the previous or next page in a view.)

Furthermore, for a collection to use min/max requires some unique sortable property, which many collections don't have.
        (Many have either unique or sortable, but not both.)

• Matthew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey folks, this has been in the planned state for almost a year now. Can we please get an update on what that means? Our teams are using DocumentDB in a limited capacity right now and having this feature would be a significant win. I know there are alternatives, but they are messy at best compared to a clean skip implementation. - M@

• Michael Rajesh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

skip/take? Currently you can go with TOP at select and use WHERE with c._ts and an ID field (/ what you use in ORDER BY) of the previous page least or maximum values..

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base