How can we improve Azure Cosmos DB?

Standalone local instance

I would be great to have a standalone version for offline development and unit testing. Something like Storage Emulator.

3,787 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re excited to announce the public preview of the DocumentDB Emulator (https://azure.microsoft.com/blog/documentdb-emulator-for-local-development-and-dotnet-core-support/), which provides a local development experience for the Azure DocumentDB service. Using the DocumentDB Emulator, you can develop and test your application locally without an internet connection, without creating an Azure subscription, and without incurring any costs.

This has long been the most requested feature on the user voice site, so we are thrilled to roll this out everyone that’s voted for it. Please let us know if you have any feedback, questions or suggestions.

Thank you,
Aravind Ramachandran
Azure DocumentDB

94 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • William Kerber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please for the love of god get mac support on this! Seems like Azure DocumentDB is stagnating! Several features we have been waiting for aren't getting done, and sometimes when they are 'done' like this one, its incomplete in the real world. We need Mac/nix support! Come on MS! This thing would shine if you put a little more into it!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Documentdb emulator is so ****. So frustrated using something that does not work. why make pple download something that does not work

• Mohit Agarwal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use docker for our local development also. Would love to see this supported on linux. Will have to wait till then

• Jarrod commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

EXCELLENT! Thank you team and community for making this a reality, it's tremendous.

• Fabrice Marguerie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for providing this.
    Too bad you decided to impose Windows 10. We won't be able to use it! Same problem as SQL Server 2016 :-(

• Christian Rubach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are using DocumentDB for a new solution we are working on and would highly appreciate getting access to the private preview for standalone local instances for development and testing as well.

• Arjan Noordende commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Denny, thanks to your response in October we have persevered and used DocumentDb remote and Mongo locally. We would like to switch the DAL to "native" DocumentDb once the local instance becomes available, but the next hurdle is that the SDK does not support .NETStandard1.6.
    Any hope of that arriving soon?

Please let us know when and how we can sign-up for the preview.

• SAinCA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any change to the default limits/quotas? 512KB/doc and 256GB is too small. Hope we will have rights to deviate from the standard Azure allocations...

• Jeroen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great news, thanks for the update! Becomes more relevant than ever now that we started to develop on Azure DocumentDB.

• lp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will this support partitioned collections (with partition key) this is critical as this is too expensive to test in azure.

• Octopus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is really great that you took this into account @Azure DocumentDB Team,
    thanks!

• Johan Ohlin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Such great news! I have seldom access to the internet when travelling and that makes developing with DocumentDB difficult as it is now. I would very much like to be part of the preview testing.

• Josh Carlisle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fabulous news regarding this! Thanks for the update! My organization is actively developing DocumentDB based solutions and would also be very interested in the private preview when it becomes available.

• Paul Habfast commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to be involved. Please reach out to me if I can be part of the private preview.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Azure Cosmos DB

Feedback and Knowledge Base