Azure Cosmos DB

Have feedback for Azure Cosmos DB product? Submit your idea here or upvote other ideas. All feedback is monitored and reviewed by the Azure Cosmos DB team. 

This site is for feature suggestions only. For technical questions or issues, please submit them to StackOverflow,where we and the community can better help you.

Please use the following categories when submitting your idea.

SQL API: Query language features, syntax using SQL API, indexing, any other core features in Azure Cosmos DB.

Gremlin API: Graph features and capabilities using Gremlin API.

Cassandra API: Features and capabilities using Cassandra API.

MongoDB API: Features and capabilities using MongoDB API.

Table API: Features and capabilities using Table API.

Etcd API: Features related to using etcd as a configuration store for Kubernetes.

Built-in Apache Spark: Features related to built-in Apache Spark in Azure Cosmos DB.

Built-in Notebooks: Features related to built-in Notebooks in Azure Cosmos DB.

SDK: Features related to Azure Cosmos DB SDKs for SQL API.

Change Feed: Features related to Change Feed.

Management: All management features, backup/restore,monitoring, ARM, PowerShell and CLI.

Portal: All features for Azure Portal and Cosmos DB Explorer.

Emulator: Features related to the Azure Cosmos Emulator.

Other: Features not related to any other category.

Security:
Authentication, authorization,permissions and encryption features.

Monitoring:
Metrics, monitoring, alerts,and diagnostics features.

Server-side: Stored procedures, Triggers,and User-Defined Functions.
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Clear Rate Limiting warning faster

When you reach a rate limit, and then subsequently increase the RU's the Map shows Orange / rate limited for a long time (a few hours it seems) after it has been increased and no longer rate limiting...

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello Anton. Thank you for your suggestion. Yes, the rate limit graphic is overly aggressive. We are planning to change that behavior so it more closely maps actual rate limiting.

This work is planned but we do not have a precise ETA. Will update here either when this is started and for sure when it is complete.

Thank you for your suggestion.

2. Manage parallel processing server side

If I run a query like "SELECT * FROM d WHERE d.field = "x" against a parallel database I expect the DBMS to run that query against each partition at the same time and return a set of collated results. As apparent from the REST API, it appears that such a query is only executed against 1 partition at a time. This means that to get proper parallel processing the client has to work out the partitioning, fire multiple queries and do the collation client side. To some extent this appears to have been encapsulated in the SDKs.

To me,…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  SQL API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

One of the goals for parallel query execution in the client-side was to support low latency query execution. We’ve since added support for parallelism in the SDKs.

We are planning to add support for REST API of all queries for workloads that need to reduce client CPU utilization.

Thanks,
    Aravind Krishna R
    PM, Azure Cosmos DB

3. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Gremlin API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Include stored procedures and udfs and triggers as part of Data Migration export

Include stored procedures, udf's and triggers as part of Data Migration export for document db

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  SQL API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add support for ProjectDefinition and SortDefinition from MongoAPI to query DocumentDB

I am using following code (MongoDB C# driver) to projects fields , where queryDocument = '{{ "FullName" : /myname/i }}'

BsonDocument projectionDefination = Builders.Projection.ToBsonDocument();
    projectionDefination.Add(new BsonElement("FullName", "myname"));
    collection.Find(queryDocument).Project(projectionDefination);

getting following error:

{"Command failed."}

{{ "_t" : "OKMongoResponse", "ok" : 0, "code" : 9, "errmsg" : "Syntax error, incorrect syntax near '9'.", "$err" : "Syntax error, incorrect syntax near '9'." }}

Can anyone update on this?

I also tried above with RoboMongo

Command: db.getCollection('Employee').find({ "FullName": /User/i}).projection({ "FullName" : "$FullName" })

Received following error:

Error: error: { "_t" : "OKMongoResponse", "ok" : 0, "code" : 9, "errmsg" : "Syntax error, incorrect syntax…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  MongoDB API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Integrate existing Janus GraphDB application with Azure Cosmos DB API for Gremlin and Open Service Broker for Azure

I read a post on how to Integrate existing MongoDB application with Azure Cosmos DB API for MongoDB and Open Service Broker for Azure, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/aks/use-cosmosdb-osba-mongo-app, and I start to think is it possible same technique could be adopt to janus graph->COSMOSDB graph?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Update documentation on enabling Gremlin queries on HDInsight via CosmosDB connector

The documentation on how to enable Gremlin queries on HDInsight via the CosmosDB Spark connector should be brought up-to-date.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Cosmos DB should have the capability to scale out based on rules.

Right now there is no mechanism to scale out Cosmos DB based on increase in throughput for a collection. There should be a provision to scale out and back based on rules derived from Metrics

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. AutoSuggest RUs when executing heavy queries

As we know Cosmos DB pricing is based on RUs, most of the time as a developer I tend to execute "Select * from something". This results in more RUs and if most of the developers execute the same thing which is going to result in heavy cost.

My suggestion is to disable "Select *" for developers(magic way) or enable AutoSuggestion like Intellicode when someone is going to execute a query which will result in more RUs.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your suggestion.

I am not quite clear on what you are suggesting.

During development, it is normal for developers to write queries that may be costly as they work to understand the data access patterns for their apps.

Cosmos provides query metrics and diagnostic logs that records the cost of queries so developers can understand if their partitioning and model are efficient. This data can and should be used early on in the development cycle such that if need be, the model and partitioning scheme can be modified to ensure most queries can be answered with in-partition queries to ensure the best efficiency when moving from a development phase to production.

There is no automated or magical way of knowing what the cost of query will be before it is executed, either through the portal or via the SDK. It is also not possible to disable…

10. provide $ position support in mongodb

It is very tough to query inner json without $ support

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  MongoDB API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Left and Substring functions should return null when null.

The left and substring functions should return null when the value is null. Currently they return "non defined", it means the field is not returned.

This causes issues with ADF structure autodetect.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 2D geometry support

Although some users are excited about using CosmosDB, they are blocked from adopting it if their systems work with 2D geometry, which CosmosDB does not support. CosmosDB should support 2D geometry.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Fix sort results when documents are missing sort field

When documents are missing the sort field, they should still be included in the query results. Cosmos DB with MongoDB API omits these documents, but MongoDB includes them.

For example, the following query will return people sorted by age, but documents missing the age field do not appear in the results:

peopleCollection.find().sort({ age: 1 })

This is probably related to the following Cosmos DB with SQL API issue: https://feedback.azure.com/forums/263030-azure-cosmos-db/suggestions/16842499-order-by-null-handling. Will resolving that issue fix MongoDB sorting as well?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  MongoDB API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Give developers the ability to access the meta data (etag, timestamp, id) when doing queries in the new sdk

In the v2 sdk I could derive my data from Resource and was all set, with Etag, timestamp, partitionkey and so on visible.

I could to a normal linq query, like .Where(i=>i._ts ...), create a documentquery from it and get a result with all those properties in.

Please enable something comparable in the v3 sdk.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Able to view entire graph in the data explorer

I would like to be able to view my entire graph in the data explorer. At least this should be possible for small graphs. Right now as you traverse, the explorer removes the previous nodes from the graphical view. This is really a pain for small graphs where you want to view the complete the picture. I can understand the new for big graphs but for small ones you should allow displaying the entire graph.

Also, it should be possible to view edge properties on the data explorer without looking at the tab view.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. DocumentDB SDK for Node.js should allow agent or maxSockets to be set for outbound requests

The DocumentDB SDK for Node.js should allow an agent or maxSockets to be set for outbound requests.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
1 2 8 9 10 12 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Cosmos DB

Categories