How can we improve Azure Cosmos DB?

Offline version for mobile devices

Like cloudant and couchbase. To be able to have local storage which can sync with the cloud once we get a network conneciton.
It should be connection agnostic, use in the same manner if connected or not.

1,071 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    kristjan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

30 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Adrien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need this for checking in attendees at events/sessions. If the venue looses connectivity, we need to be able to operate until it is restored.

• Boris Tarasov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Azure Cosmos DB Team

This is important feature for all kinds of enterprise solutions and unless it is supported companies will embrace other solutions.

• Andrew Hoefling commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need a better mechanism for handling offline data with Azure. The current out of the box solutions don't really work except on small scale projects.

Sounds like this would be the solution to that

• Rodney Littles II commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having used Microsoft Sync Framework on a previous project, my understanding is as long as you abstract the server side, and respect the Id, CreatedAt, UpdatedAt, Deleted flags on the IDataObject, everything should just work. So if you wanted to get this working with Cosmos DB, you technically can. I think I am going to give that a try, determine the effort and report back.

• Edward Xiao commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a big fan of Azure Cosmos Document DB. Now I am forced to move to Firebase Firestore (the competitor of Cosmos Docdb). They have offline mobile capability.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No offline, no mobile. Cosmos DB is currently barred from entering an entire eco-system.

• Jeff Jorczak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since they now have DocumentDB Emulator it seems like it should be possible for them to leverage this to deliver this need. But like others, CosmosDB is not a viable solution for a mobile app without this feature.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Customers to Microsoft - "We need offline capabilities with sync, like others provide"
        3 years later - 'no, go use Firebase'.

Seriously, it doesn't matter how well you can scale CosmosDB if it doesn't support widely required basic functionality.

99% of cutting edge projects and tutorials out there are ignoring Microsoft. They never even mention anything Microsoft, apart from 'not supported in IE11 / Edge'. You are losing ground rapidly.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"This is not in our current backlog. However, we are constantly evolving and adding more features."

So basically, the Microsoft advice is 'use a competitors product that supports what is generally considered to be a must have feature, because we wont implement it',

So, once again I am pushed away from Cosmos DB to Firebase.

It's becoming increasingly difficult to recommend Azure to my clients.

More and more, Microsoft seem to be giving up on leadership, and are losing ground to even relative newcomers such as Google Cloud Platform.

Offline sync is a no-brainer in a world where mobile first is taken for granted. How can Microsoft preach mobile-first, but then not provide the features in Microsoft products to actually support it, leaving developers no option but to go elsewhere?

There are some very strange decisions being made at Microsoft these days.

• Johan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One way of making mobile apps faster is using faster databases (CosmosDB vs. SQL databases).
        And online-offline sync is the way to go these days. In many use cases today the ability to use the app without internet connection is not an option anymore, its the difference between an useful and an useless app. Other competitors are already up and running with these capabilities. We just can't stay behind (right :-))

• 852534 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Document databases are well suited to replication/synchronization. A Desktop/Device version of ComosDB that could be redistributed with an application would allow data to easily be synchronized between devices that go offline and the cloud.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would really like to see ability to do offline sync with Xamarin applications (.NET) This is something that is supported in a fairly simple manner with Azure Easy Tables in Mobile Apps on Azure App Services but would love to see implemented with Cosmos DB!

• Tim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Isn't it about time that azure got their own Realm? The hoops we jump through to implement stuff like this using Azure services. You wouldn't believe! Sure, I can spin up a Linux server with Realm Object Server, but there are services better and cheaper equipped to do just that!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base