How can we improve Azure Cosmos DB?

I want to be able to create an Azure Cosmos Account that supports multiple APIs

Since Cosmos DB with the Mongo API does not support all Mongo commands, I would like to be able to configure Cosmos DB accounts to support multiple apis (e.g. Mongo and Sql/DocumentDB) as described here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/44247726/is-there-a-way-to-configure-cosmosdb-to-use-both-the-sql-documentdb-and-mongod

103 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Greg Thatcher shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Azure Cosmos DB is a multi-model database service, and therefore supports accessing the same underlying data using any/all APIs. We are however implementing some platform-level changes to make data access from different APIs seamless like supporting conversions between disparate type systems, and capabilities.

7 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Russ Christensen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My scenario is I want to shift from Azure Table Storage to Cosmos DB using the Table API and then over time I want to convert the application slowly to use the more fully featured Document DB SQL API.

• Chris Pietschmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any update that can be made on the status of this? Or at least a description of what is currently supported and what's not?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be amazing. Having to create multiple resources for this kind of thing is both more expensive and painful.

• Roman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on that feature status? Any ETA when it will be in preview?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're currently using several cosmos dbs via the graph api. We also use the document sdk to add more complex documents and then use gremlin to add edges between them and query those documents. The 'defaultExperience' setting on this db is set to 'graph' and because of this we can toy around in the portal and test queries, so far so good, but when I try to add a azure search indexer it fails because it's not a sql api experience. Could you therefore enable multi api support also UI wise, not just from an API point of view?

Cheers

• James Carter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, we need $lookup if we were to migrate, then change our code to directly target DocumentDB SQL afterwards.

Feedback and Knowledge Base