How can we improve Azure Cosmos DB?

Support Cypher as a query language for Graph data

Add Cyhper (see http://www.opencypher.org/) as a language to query graph databases. Cypher is a human readable query languages to easily access a graph database.

462 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Daniël te Winkel shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • Keith Geringer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with other comments in this thread. If CosmosDB supported Cypher, we would move to it immediately. But we are a IaaS Neo4j shop until then.

• Jeremy Stafford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ditto, the only thing keeping me from using CosmosDB as a graph solution is the query language. Cypher is superior. Add it, and I am in!

• Alastair Green commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If anyone is wondering, especially in light of today's interesting post by Stephen Mallette in the Gremlin Users Google group -- The GQL Manifesto which went up three weeks ago at https://gql.today is a proposal to offer the kind of capability that people are used to in Cypher, but in a single, standardized form that does what Cypher does, and then some: drawing on good new work in PGQL and G-CORE and Cypher for Apache Spark re composable queries and regular path queries, but retaining and improving on everything you already can get out of Cypher. The idea is to avoid "blurred photocopies", get one standard language, not three or four dialects.

So voting for this improvement "Support Cypher as a query language" doesn't clash with supporting the GQL idea at all: the opposite, because it reinforces how helpful and relatively easy to use a declarative language can be. (I hear a lot of similar things about people wanting a language like Cypher for Amazon Neptune, incidentally.)

The goal of GQL is a declarative query language using ASCII Art and all the things that people seem to like in Cypher. That said, GQL is a proposal and Cypher is a fact -- the Cypher for Gremlin is an OSS project to have a look at if you want to get a jump on this.

In that regard, it would be interesting to know if people would like to see a Cypher proxy service to allow efficient access to CosmosDB Graph's Gremlin Server via Cypher?

• David Alperovich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Right this moment I want to use Cosmos, but without Cypher, I'm not comfortable moving ahead. NEO is nice, but it's JAVA, aka swimming in ****

If you want Cosmos to be a serious graph DB, it needs Cypher. The reason I'll continue swimming in **** is because Microsoft is pretending to have a graph DB. I need something real!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Along with the openCypher graph query language, Neo4j™ is the most widely used open source transactional graph database.

• David Cornelson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would probably jump to Cosmos in a second if this were implemented. As it is, Neo4j is my preferred graph database.

Feedback and Knowledge Base