How can we improve Azure Cosmos DB?

Add Group By support for Aggregate Functions

We're really happy about the new aggregate functions that recently were announced. But without Group By support they fall short and will leave many disappointed. Please add Group By support as well.

2,653 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Johan Ohlin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

65 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Nenad Marjanovic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

We started using CosmosDB, we left for other solution, we tested again and we tried working with Azure support, then we moved to other platform again. A lot of vars from our application didn't work. As CosmosDB don't have all functions from native MongoDB in the end we have lost hope ... I don't know how we use this in production when we spend time being MS CosmosDB quality service. I can only say it's shame.

• Rodd Harris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Was giving serious consideration to using this on a new project we're launching into -- however, had to drop it as serious once I realized there is no true aggregation (no group by). Can't be a serious solution without group by.

• Peter Molloy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree much better potential for data pipeline and analytical efficiency if more transformation libraries are provided at the language level. Top issue facing Cosmos today.

• Lyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Critical fail. Aggregates without Group By is pretty much useless, leaving us to go through data RBAR. This needs to be fixed or else don't say you have aggregates.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What use are aggregate functions without group by ? Please fix, love the sound of this product but this is a major roadblock to use

• JLo Gonzalez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Was disappointed when only the bare minimum to "complete" the ask for aggregate functions was added. Aggregate functions without Group By support are pretty much useless. I also hope we don't have to wait 2 years for this like we did for "Aggregate" functions

• Joseph Truong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would like to this implemented. Currently have to sort the result set in cosmosdb and then i have to perform some aggregation using linq (linq supports group by)

• Gus Rivera commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Critical. We cannot cutover to Azure or Document DB from Mongo DB for hundreds of customers because of this limitation.

Feedback and Knowledge Base