How can we improve Azure Cosmos DB?

Add Group By support for Aggregate Functions

We're really happy about the new aggregate functions that recently were announced. But without Group By support they fall short and will leave many disappointed. Please add Group By support as well.

1,519 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Johan Ohlin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  AdminAzure Cosmos DB Team (Admin, Microsoft Azure) responded  · 

We will be expanding the Azure Cosmos DB grammar to support GROUP BY and DISTINCT. Thank you everyone for voting for this feature. We will update this item as soon as we have additional details to share.

Meanwhile, we recommend using the Spark connector: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/cosmos-db/spark-connector or https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/cosmos-db/change-feed to perform aggregates like Group By.

30 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow! it is almost 8 months since the request and there are 1327 votes for it, but we still don't have the future. I am really disappointed. :(

• mra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, we are considering using MongoDB in CosmosDB, but reading the comments I guess MongoDB is not fully supported (at least, the aggregation framework). My question is, is there any place (web, forum..) where I can read if anything else is missing to analyse pro & const of using MongoDB vs DocumentDB in CosmosDB. Anyway, anyone here in this forum can shed some light on this? Thanks!

• Nenad Marjanovic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

We started using CosmosDB, we left for other solution, we tested again and we tried working with Azure support, then we moved to other platform again. A lot of vars from our application didn't work. As CosmosDB don't have all functions from native MongoDB in the end we have lost hope ... I don't know how we use this in production when we spend time being MS CosmosDB quality service. I can only say it's shame.

• Rodd Harris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Was giving serious consideration to using this on a new project we're launching into -- however, had to drop it as serious once I realized there is no true aggregation (no group by). Can't be a serious solution without group by.

• Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there a work around for this in the meantime? In SQL we could create a view?

• Peter Molloy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree much better potential for data pipeline and analytical efficiency if more transformation libraries are provided at the language level. Top issue facing Cosmos today.

• Bugra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No GroupBy, No CosmosDB. Without a GroupBy feature the CosmosDB is not useful.

• Lyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Critical fail. Aggregates without Group By is pretty much useless, leaving us to go through data RBAR. This needs to be fixed or else don't say you have aggregates.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What use are aggregate functions without group by ? Please fix, love the sound of this product but this is a major roadblock to use

• JLo Gonzalez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Was disappointed when only the bare minimum to "complete" the ask for aggregate functions was added. Aggregate functions without Group By support are pretty much useless. I also hope we don't have to wait 2 years for this like we did for "Aggregate" functions

• Joseph Truong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would like to this implemented. Currently have to sort the result set in cosmosdb and then i have to perform some aggregation using linq (linq supports group by)

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base