How can we improve Azure Cosmos DB?

Add DocumentDB Emulator support for Mac OS X and *nix

The DocumentDB Emulator currently only supports Windows 10.

It would be great if support for Mac OS X could be added or documentation to run it on other platforms.

1,338 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Brenton Klassen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

46 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Azure Cosmos DB Team

I'm super excited to hear you've started work on this. Do you have some ballpark estimate as to when this can be tested?

I realize that it's a difficult question and I'm merely wondering if this is something that one can reasonably expect to test within EG. this year.

Regards

Jonas

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even if you can't / won't support this - could you PLEASE provide a guide of how to connect to a Cosmos Emulator, running on a Windows VM, from a Mac host?

• Ludo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please, make CosmoDb available on linux and Mac OS. This is just mandatory !

• MrBaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates to this subject, Would you please even consider a development collection on Azure Live cosmos db that is not that expensive

• Jeremy Stafford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With the way that things are shifting, it might be easier to assume that all of your offerings need to be available in Linux, with high-ticket items and new offerings all being the highest priority.

• Alexander Trauzzi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The cosmosdb emulator has to be able to run multi-platform. Forcing people to run Windows just to get a local emulator is flat out wrong.

Any updates on this? It's been almost 2 years since this post was open and 3 months since the Azure Cosmos DB Team said that it will be included in their roadmap.

We are working in a PoC and the platform restrictions is one of the main constrains that make us to go for another solution instead of using Ms Azure.

• AndyW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are a Mac shop running Azure. Why the previous architect did not go with AWS is beyond most of us. But here we are.

• Christian Hujer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

BTW running Cosmos DB in a Windows VM is not a solution. The expectation is that a make test, mvn test, go test, or whatever, can perform integration testing with the DB, that is, launch the DB, load the schema, run the tests, stop the DB. And multiple such runs have to be possible on the same machine in parallel without clashing. Running Cosmos DB in a Windows VM immediately breaks the idea/requirement of "fast" in testing.

• Christian Hujer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also regret choosing Cosmos DB, actually, choosing Azure. Having a hosted DB is a good thing, but if the development team then says they can't work with it because they cannot test locally on their development machines that run Linux or Mac OS, that's a show stopper. Having DocumentDB Emulator support for Mac OS X and Linux would solve that problem.
    Meanwhile we're exploring the solution of testing locally using MongoDB, for example using this library in Java: https://github.com/flapdoodle-oss/de.flapdoodle.embed.mongo

This is the moment when I started regretting the decision to start coding from my mac with .Net Core. well, I don't have a windows pc right now.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base