Azure Search

Azure Search is a search-as-a-service solution that allows developers to incorporate a sophisticated search experience into web and mobile applications without having to worry about the complexities of full-text search and without having to deploy, maintain or manage any infrastructure

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. REST and/or PowerShell equivalent for options in the Azure portal

For the same reason that it's good to have the script options in SSMS, it would be great to have a REST and/or PowerShell equivalent for options in the Azure portal. (It would be REALLY good to have that right across the portal but your team could take the lead on it :-))

49 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Client SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Provide azure specific JSON ignore attribute

I had a need to ignore properties from the search index (and not defining it as a field threw an error). The provided way to do that is a JsonIgore attribute, but in this instance I also needed to serialize the object for something else where I did need those properties.

I worked around it by creating another azure search specific class and projecting to that, but it's a bit painful.

Having an AzureSearchJsonIgnore attribute would mean I could use it without interfering with the rest of my code.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Client SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The latest version of the .NET SDK (1.0.1-preview) allows for custom serialization via JSON.NET’s JsonConverter and IContractResolver mechanisms. These should be powerful enough to implement your own custom “JsonIgnore” attribute. Examples are available in the SDK tests on GitHub. See the “CanIndexAndRetrieveModelWithExtraProperties” test for details: https://github.com/Azure/azure-sdk-for-net/blob/AutoRest/src/Search/Search.Tests/Tests/IndexingTests.cs

3. Open source the Azure Search .NET SDK

It would be helpful if Azure Search team opened source the .NET SDK like Azure Storage team did on GitHub: https://github.com/Azure/azure-storage-net

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Client SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. .NET library IndexActionType. Separate "Replace" and "Merge"

Similar to what Azure Table is doing. Replace and Merge can be two different operations.

With the current implementation in the SDK, because C# object types are not dynamic, to merge, we will either have to get the object first, do a manual merge (basically a replace), or use a dictionary object contains only property-value pairs we need to update.

I think Azure Table's separation of Replace and Merge is easier to use. So when I call Merge with a model object, I don't have to worry about some fields get deleted because their value is null.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Client SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base