How can we improve Azure Search?

Allow to upgrade the pricing tier

Everywhere in the portal, we can increase/decrease the pricing tier based on our needs.
With the introduction of Azure Search Basic, we need a way to upgrade to the next level (Standard) when we are close to reach the service limits.

The only way today to go around this is to bring the index down and create another one.

967 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jean-Sébastien Goupil shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

20 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Adam M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

2.5 years since this feedback, and the only progress is "it is being considered..." ?!

• Mixie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft please implement this feature. With the ability to go up from BASIC to Standard and down from Standard to BASIC.
        Justification: as a developer we do a Proof of Concept using customer data, requiring Standard. Then after approval, we remove all but sample data. We would like then to switch back to BASIC -- the customer is now paying in their own environment for Standard. So no loss to Microsoft.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hit against this today. Importing a large number of documents for a test run, hit against the individual file limit - went to upgrade the tier to carry (in the same way I would for any other Azure service) only to find this is not possible.

Can't re-create the index as this would involve re-running my import and indexing which I do not really have time for.

• Padgett Rowell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for the ability to be able to change pricing tiers. Recreating the index is painful.

+1 for the ability to change the properties on indexed fields (searchable, facet, retrievable etc) without having to recreate the index.

• Mads Laumann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just ran into this and thought I was doing something wrong/blind...apparently not. As other mentions, you can up/down scale things in general in Azure, why this is confusing and frustrating.
        The "Start out free/Scale as needed" mantra doesn't really fit here, as you need to start all over.
        Besides that, I really think Azure Search is a nice product, but way too expensive :S

• Dhananjay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature very much required to save cost on backup Index. Why we need to maintain even backup index in same price tier.

• Dave C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really question if this is really a serious product for MSFT? There are so many basic capabilities/needs like this that are just left hanging.

• Glen Boonzaier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why would they implement this for all other Azure functions and not this one? Is there some complexity that we are not aware of?

Feedback and Knowledge Base