How can we improve Azure Search?

Support schema changes with automated reindexing

Azure Search should support safe schema changes, such as deletion of fields, or maybe even safe field type changes (e.g., int -> string, or string -> string collection)

713 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
AdminThe Azure Team on UserVoice (Product Owner, Microsoft Azure) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Karthik Jambulingam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand the nature of re-indexing that needs to prepare data in optimal manner for search. But leaving teams to rebuild indexes for every little changes makes deployment extremely difficult. This is an important feature!

As a workaround, is there technique to speed up index rebuild faster (days into hours)?

• lpunderscore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Honestly how about some feedback? Are you looking at this? Considering it at least? This is a HUGE deal considering the amount of efforts and ressources it takes to load data into the index in the first place. Just consider indexing document contents, takes weeks to index millions of small txt documents for example even with 24 indexers running on 24 search units. Asking us to rebuild this every time we need to change a checkbox is not reasonable.

MS feedback after 2 years would be appreciated...

• Colin Greczkowski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still waiting on this feature, even the ability to modify the analyzer for an existing field is currently unavailable! Please get this implemented before releasing new features

• iHawk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't understand how I can't delete a field. This is a critical need for me. In fact I had to abandon using Azure Search due to this one restriction. This is basic CRUD guys. How can you not have this on initial release!

• A J commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to add custom analyzers without dropping and recreating the entire search index would be incredibly helpful

• Vince commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition, we need to be able to change whether an existing property is "Facetable" or "Searchable", and we need to be able to add Suggesters and Custom Analyzers to existing fields in an index.

Without this capability, we can't use any new Azure Search features you release. Requiring us to create a new Search Index every time you release a feature is analogous to requiring users to delete their production database and create a new one every time a database feature is added.

No new Azure Search capabilities can be used by existing production customers until you enable this feature. This is critical!

Feedback and Knowledge Base