Azure Search

Azure Search is a search-as-a-service solution that allows developers to incorporate a sophisticated search experience into web and mobile applications without having to worry about the complexities of full-text search and without having to deploy, maintain or manage any infrastructure

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow suggestions for custom analyzers

Just what the title says.

59 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    4 comments  ·  Indexing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Indexer execution status to App insights

Scenario: Thanks to the power of Azure, I have setup a indexer which continuously updates my index from the Azure sql db. Now I want to know if there are any errors while processing any document and why it failed to update the index(error message). This information is very critical for new documents or any document which is modified in the prod database. Note: Different teams do not have access to the Azure search service portal.

Current state: We already have indexer execution status but this information needs to be processed by another process by polling.

Ask: If this information…

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Support for Postgresql for using indexers

Please provide support for ingesting data from PostgreSQL, similar to the existing support for Azure SQL Database.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Crawlers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Extract snippets around matched phrases

I would like to be able to extract snippets around the matched phrases. In a knowledge base scenario, where Azure search maybe searching a blob of PDFs and we would like to search all the pdf and return snippets that could be relevant to the end user. So the user could then click on the pdf and open it to the exact location within the pdf.

Say end user searches for a key phrase that is contained in multiple areas within a pdf and within many pdf it would be idea to present to the end user less clutter so…

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Provide field mapping function to inject a constant value into the index

I'm creating an index which is importing data from a SQL Server Database. I would like to add a field to the index whose value is just "OK" for every document. This field does not exist in the database and we do not want to add it there.
    Is it possible to add a hard-coded field to an Azure Search index which auto-populates with the given string (in this case, "OK") for all documents that get imported?

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    need-feedback  ·  2 comments  ·  Crawlers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Support Decimal / Money Datatype

Please add support for Decimal / Money datatype in index schema.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Indexing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. We need some more information before we can take action on this request.

Can you share some more context re why you need a decimal (vs. the EDM.double that we support today) or money? Do your fields include signs like $?

As a workaround, with the recent release of Cognitive Search, you can create a custom skill to transform any field

Thanks,
    Elad
    Azure Search Product Team

7. Return azure search feature values along with documents

In Azure search, it would be good to return feature values used to rank documents along with documents returned. This could be used to further refine results based on user needs.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Query - Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Custom meta data in static html is not being indexed

Hi,
    I have nearly 500 static html files. all of them have different custom metadata tags like <title>, <description>,<region>, <locale>, <formname> etc.. I have uploaded the static htmls in to ablob and indexed the blob, as per azure documentation.
    I was successful in searching the index fields <title> & < description> with relevant content, but for other fields like < region>, <locale>, <formname> it is shown as null.
    I have gone through Azure search documentation extensively. I found that it was ready to map Conten-type specific (HTML) metadata tags, shown in the article

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/search/search-howto-indexing-azure-blob-storage#indexing-documents-along-with-related-data

But could not get appropriate information…

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 3rd party DataSource development

Publish the an SDK and/or documentation that will allow developers to create custom DataSource components and for on-premise data indexing.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your feedback. More information is needed before we can take action on this request.

We’re considering supporting a push-API before document cracking and enrichment occurs. (this API would allow you submit data source update notifications (documents changed, updated, deleted, created) to Azure Search.

Would that meet your needs?

Thanks,
    Luis Cabrera

10. support a mix of JSON and non-JSON blobs in the same data source

Support a mix of JSON and non-JSON blobs in the same data source

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Crawlers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. More information is needed before we can take action on this request.

Assuming we find a.json and b.txt in the same data source, let’s say blob storage. Are you expecting the content of b.txt to end up in the content filed, and the fields of a.json to end up wherever they end today? Or other behavior?

Thanks,
    Luis Cabrera

11. Semantics/tag clouds/concepts

Semantics/tag clouds/concepts

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Query - Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add auto-turning by telemetry logging or any type of log gathering on Azure Portal or so.

Some customer doen't have Search expert and need to ranking profile turning after telemetry dashboard. Can we add Suggestion functionarity on Azure Portal like "how about to add this ranking profile"?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Scoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I like the idea of making suggestions in the portal about ways an admin can improve the experience of their user, but I’m not sure I understand your specific suggestion. Can you provide more information about the telemetry you’d expect us to track and the criteria we’d use to provide a recommendation to the admin?

Thanks,
    Mike Carter

13. Reindex completely all documents

I can provide reason for doing it. For example there is some legacy application and SQL View as source for search or even app that is using Cosmos DB. Soft delete is only option. It could be very hard to change application code to remove documents from search index everywhere. So removed documents could stay in index.
    I know from feedback portal that Hard delete is not planned, but it is not needed if there would be possibility to allow indexer to reindex all documents completely. Just checkbox setting.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Allow limiting blob documents to be indexed based on a specific metadata value

We only want to index a subset of documents in our blob container and in order to do so now, we have to have two blob containers and manage them. Similar to how you can limit document types to be indexed or not, the ability to restrict the scope of Blob objects based on a metadata value would help reduce our operating expenses and document management overhead. We could add a new Metadata name called "AzureSearch" and if set to "true", would be picked up by the indexer. Removing it from the index would simply require changing that value and…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. i need to be able to index pdfs, docx, and csvs together

i need to be able to index pdfs, docx, and csvs together

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. importing data in Azure search services

Why can't I import data into Azure search services? I'm using the free trial, and there's no Import Data selection on the task bar.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Query - Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Could you explain what you mean by ‘import data’. In Azure Portal we have ‘Import data’ command that enables you to connect to variety of data sources such as SQL Server, Cosmos DB, or blob storage. Then indexer can automatically sync data between your data source and your search index.

17. Having contains option in lucene searchfilter

We have scenarios where based on context, we need to apply field-level filters- and seems clunky to create the filters through multiple 'or' statements on each of the filter parameter

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Rest end point indexing capability like voyager search engine, that would be helpful otherwise we would have duplicate data in azure

Rest endpoint indexing capability like voyager search engine, that would be helpful otherwise we would have duplicate data in azure

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Skill: extract and index URLs / URIs

Many documents include references to websites. Just as you identify people or places, please add URL identification, indexing, sorting, filtering, etc.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base