Azure Search

Azure Search is a search-as-a-service solution that allows developers to incorporate a sophisticated search experience into web and mobile applications without having to worry about the complexities of full-text search and without having to deploy, maintain or manage any infrastructure

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Return the number of results for each query

It's helpful for the client to know the total number of results that match a query, so e.g.,

- it could be reported to the user as feedback and if it's too large, the user could then enter more constraints to narrow the search, etc.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Query - Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support indexing of append blobs

It seems Azure Search doesn't currently work with append blobs. We use append blobs for logging and Azure search would help a lot if it could handle the blobs.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Crawlers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. provide query performance feedback on request

How long did the query run for? (Plus any other appropriate measurements). This would help benchmarking, testing and maintenance of a search service by helping to identify the slowest queries.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Query - Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Harold, we do return elapsed time for a query in an HTTP response header. Originally this wasn’t documented, but we updated the docs. There’re probably many other measurements and analytics we could provide – if you have specific ideas, please submit there!
    Thanks you,
    Eugene Shvets
    Developer
    Azure Search

4. Index is stuck in Creating state - unfixable!

I can't delete an index as it is stuck in creating state. Please provide controls to force deletion of indexes which are stuck in creation state.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Indexing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Darryl,
    The index was stuck in Creating state due to a bug on our side – eventually we identified this “partially created” index and removed it, so you should be able to recreate this index now. Please let me know if you’re still having issues.
    I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused for you.

Thank you for using Azure Search.
    Eugene Shvets

5. Import Data Exceeded the free quota of 3 indexers BUG

I am now stuck at recreating indexes. I was told to delete one of my index to create another, but it didn't work. The funny thing is that, I am only having just 1 active index in that Azure Search Repo.

Response that i get when I want to 'Import Data':
    'You have exceeded the free quota of 3 indexers. Please delete one to continue'

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi, the error message refers to indexers, not indexes. An indexer is a resource separate from an index. So in your case, you need to delete some indexeRs.

Also, please use MSDN forums or StackOverflow (azure-search tag) to ask questions like this – you’ll get a much faster response on those forums.

Thanks!
    Eugene Shvets
    Azure Search team

6. Extend the Azure Search indexer for Azure tables to allow a search index to be sourced from multiple tables

Would it be possible to extend the Azure Search indexer for Azure tables to allow a search index to be sourced from multiple tables? I have a search that, currently, I build from a ProductAnnotation and a ProductWholesale table (both share a common Id for lookup and this Id is stored in the search index).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Query - Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Keith,

This is already possible in a slightly different form: you can create multiple datasource / indexer pairs all writing into the same index. As long as you stagger their schedules so that the indexers are unlikely to overlap on the same document at the same time, you’ll get the functionality this suggestion asks for.

Hope this helps!
    Your Azure Search team

7. Support more delimiters when indexing CSV blobs

When indexing CSV blobs with Azure Search blob indexer, please add support for delimiters other than ",". We have many blobs that use | and \t as delimiters.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Indexing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. .NET library IndexActionType. Separate "Replace" and "Merge"

Similar to what Azure Table is doing. Replace and Merge can be two different operations.

With the current implementation in the SDK, because C# object types are not dynamic, to merge, we will either have to get the object first, do a manual merge (basically a replace), or use a dictionary object contains only property-value pairs we need to update.

I think Azure Table's separation of Replace and Merge is easier to use. So when I call Merge with a model object, I don't have to worry about some fields get deleted because their value is null.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Client SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Indexers convert uniqueidentifier to lower case

Indexers convert uniqueidentifier to lower case which should not happen.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. API for managing star/popularity/reputation ratings

Require API for managing star/popularity/reputation ratings

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Query - Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Control of date ranges during searches

Allowing control of date ranges during searches

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Query - Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. JSONP or CORS Support

[User 1]We would like to query the Azure Search service directly in javascript using AJAX.
    When I test the service for JSONP support (by adding a &callback=myFunction argument to the querystring in Fiddler), the API is not returning a function. Because of this we are not able to call the cross domain service.
    [User 2] CORS is better for our specific use cases though it is not supported for older browsers.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. QPS

We need to be able to support the few hundred QPS requirement without slowing down

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Allow posting of columns that don't exist

When I post a document with columns that don’t exist in the index schema, it currently rejects the document. We would like the ability to post documents to the index with columns that don’t exist in the index. Of course, there is no expectation that these additional columns will be processed in any way (except perhaps returned when all columns are requested in the search query)

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Indexing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
1 2 3 4 6 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base