Azure Search

Azure Search is a search-as-a-service solution that allows developers to incorporate a sophisticated search experience into web and mobile applications without having to worry about the complexities of full-text search and without having to deploy, maintain or manage any infrastructure

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to schedule reset of index

In order to clean up an index, it would be useful to schedule periodic full index reset.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Hit Highlighting

We are working out the search frontend and one of the things we really would love to see is getting back a fragment of a matching search when searching on a text field.
    For example, we do a search on text, in documents that can be rather large. We don’t want to download the full message body for the 10 matching results, but it would be good if we could get the part of the document where the matching search text is found. (just like bing/google shows when searching on a term)
    Right now we retrieve all messages and then…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Query - Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Azure search scoring profile dstiance

When we try to add a scoring profile for Azure search based on distance the drop down for the field can't be selected. This makes it impossible to add a distance scoring profile.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Move service between subscriptions

In response to the Azure Portal team's comment in this (https://feedback.azure.com/forums/223579-azure-portal/suggestions/5608987-move-services-between-subscriptions) thread, I'd like to propose to enable/implement this feature for the Search service asap.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Pricing and Quotas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add Azure Search service support in Japan East/West Region

Not available search service in Japan Region even if it start to support multi language for indexing. The East Asia is bad latency and every EC sites expect to get higher latency for the search service.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Location field for the Search Service is not consistent with other services

In my deployment templates I use [ResourceGroup().location] to specify the location for the resources in the group.
    This works for all the services I've tried so far except for Search which requires the full string only, like "West Europe".

This is a little inconsistency that is very inconvenient as I now need to pass the Location parameter to all templates that deploy search. Search is a bit different than others on the length of the service name(15 chars only, reminds me of NetBIOS names). But this is a different story.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add facial recognition to blob storage file indexer capabilities

Based on the facial recognition technology used in Windows Photo Gallery provide indexers with the ability to perform some form of facial recognition.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Crawlers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We recently released this in “public preview” as part of “Cognitive Search”. Essentially you can select an analyze image skill to identify well known faces (such as celebrities).

You can see a demo of this at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh5Dt8wnEhg

Also, if you want to create your own custom face recognition model, you could train a model using the Cognitive Service Face API, and then call that from a “custom skill” — see an example of how to create a custom skill here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/search/cognitive-search-create-custom-skill-example

Thanks!

Luis Cabrera
    Azure Search Product Team

8. Why can't I add new indexers or data sources using the portal

The portal will let me see a list of indexers or data sources but it won't let me add new ones. Every time a feature is added to the REST interface it needs to be supported in the portal UI the same day. Stop making me build an app just to send REST requests to get things done. The UI should have 100% feature parity with the REST OM.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. freshness scoring profile for Date<DateTime.Now

Right now it Azure Search can only boost items with date < DateTime.Now.

Please provide the ability to boost items with date>DateTime.Now.

Scenarios would be like I want to boost upcoming events that are closer to today's date.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Real Time Updates

Real time index updates would be very useful. If we can get near real time updates through the use of reserved hardware then that's probably sufficient.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Indexing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Customize highlights

Right now it returns matched text between <em> tags. Instead would it be possible to return it as start and end postion value pairs in a given field. We can convert the current output in that format but wanted to know if there are customization options in the service itself.

We are finding that consuming the current format is not very useful (<em> means italics, we want to show matched text in bold and in different color) and quite heavy to render (having html controls rather than native). We are currently looking to parse the string and finding start/end index…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Query - Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Support geolocalization / spatial search

Queries like:

- Records within a range of X kilometers/miles from a specific point.
    - Records within a field (multiple coordinates like a country, ... - just like polygons in google maps)
    - Order by distance
    - Support for facets

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Query - Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Crawlers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Crawlers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Smallint and Tinyint not recognized as integral types for SQL Server deletion detection

I've been trying to create an auto indexer over a view. The column I want to use for deletion detection is type Tinyint, but the indexer throws an error saying this isn't an integral type.

I've also tried with smallint, but it only seems to accept int and bigint.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Crawlers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Helpful error message when creating Suggester without SourceFields and not all fields are searchable

I've attempted to create an Index with a suggester without specifying the SourceFields. This step failed because not all fields are searchable. The failure makes sense, but the error message returned is not helpful:

{"error":{"code":"","message":"An error has occurred."}}

Please update the error message in this scenario to be informative. Attached is the request that failed.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  REST API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Kent,

If you’re referring to indexer warnings / error messages, please let us know the context and we’ll fix them to refer to in-encoded blob paths.

If you’re referring to indexing the in-encoded metadata_storage_path property in your search index, you can create a field mapping, for example:
    “fieldMappings” : [ { “sourceFieldName” : “metadata_storage_path”, “targetFieldName” : “path” } ]

For details about field mappings, see https://docs.microsoft.com/azure/search/search-indexer-field-mappings

Also, you can open GitHub issues for the documentation on the doc pages directly by clicking [Give Documentation Feedback] button. This lets you use your UserVoice votes for making / voting on feature requests, and lets us understand more contextually which docs need improvement.

Thanks!
    Eugene Shvets

18. Provide .NET API for key operations

Currently, there's no .NET API to perform key management operations (generate new admin keys, list keys, etc.)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Azure Search reset button in indexer blade

It would be good to add a button to do reset indexer operation in indexer blade.
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/dn946897.aspx

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Search Index definition VS Population

When we create an index we define it with a JSON schema.
    When pushing documents into the index we have to adhere to that schema exactly.

In our domain that JSON document may contain other attributes which are important but are not candidates for indexing. Currently we have to pull out the fields from our document and hand those on to Azure Search for indexing.

Latency, traffic, other implications aside it would be nice if Azure Search only looked for the indexed attributes and ignored everything else.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Indexing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base