Azure Search

Azure Search is a search-as-a-service solution that allows developers to incorporate a sophisticated search experience into web and mobile applications without having to worry about the complexities of full-text search and without having to deploy, maintain or manage any infrastructure

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Use Webhooks after running an indexer

It would be interesting if an indexer could use Webhooks to notify that it has finished indexing. In this way, for example, we can integrate it with Azure functions and avoid having to poll for the status of an Indexer that I have triggered.
    I'm working on an application that will create contents and place them in Blob Storage. An indexer will be executed and I would like to execute some searches once the indexing is done. It would be nice if the Indexer could notify a function (via a webhook) that it finished indexing in order to execute those…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Crawlers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support an Azure SQL Data Warehouse as a data source (with enable change tracking).

It would be useful to be able to connect a SQL DW table to an index. I did try this but it seems SQL DW does not support the ENABLE CHANGE_TRACKING option so that means I could not synch changes which is key. Also I believe Azure search needs a PK on the table to manage changes - and DW does not use primary keys. So it may need new features in SQL DW first.....

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Indexing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. While it is unlikely we’ll address this suggestion in the near future, we’ll reassess based on the number of votes it receives.

One thing we will also require for your request is for Azure SQL database to support Integrated Change Tracking as seen in SQL Server.

Thanks,
    Liam
    Azure Search Product Team

3. Add support for inheritance ($type)

Sometimes we have inheritance in our database tables. In my case, I have inheritance mapped to a table using EF Code First, and the table contains a generated column, [Discriminator], that tells the EF which type should be activated when fetching the entity.

There should be a way for Azure Search (a field transformation function maybe) to map discriminators in the database to fully qualified non-searchable $type fields in the indexes, in order for the SDK to be able to deserialize the types correctly using the TypeNameHandling setting of the Json.net serializer.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Data Types  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Create tools for developing search in Visual Studio

I would like to have a set of tools for developing an Azure Search instance in Visual Studio, analogous to what SSDT is for SQL Server.

In an ideal world, these tools would allow me to define indexes, indexers, datasources, and all other components necessary for my search index. The tools would also include ability to publish my changes to the instance, either through Visual Studio itself or from a CI build in Release Management.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add more document allowance to the free tier

Thank you for the Free Tier!! We really love it! Just one thing to ask. Is it possible to add more document capacity to the free tier? We know you have to cut it off somewhere but 10,000 is just a bit small for eval purposes when working with big datasets. Maybe 100k or 150k?

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Indexing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add an RSS indexer

An RSS feed indexer would be helpful because it’s so generic. Also easy to create reuse on different platforms. (Request from Twitter: https://twitter.com/SeidoKevin/status/585660800980877313)

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Crawlers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. While it is unlikely we’ll address this suggestion in the near future, we’ll reassess based on the number of votes it receives.

In the meantime – you could consider using LogicApps to create triggers for your RSS feeds and push the data either into a blob for an Azure Search indexer to pick up, or directly send an HTTP post request to push the data directly into the indexer.

Thanks,
    Elad

7. Provide Azure Search in Australia-Southeast to allow for high availability

Hi,

I would like to use azure search for a variety of applications, however my clients require high availability and data sovereignty above all else.

SLA's of 99.9% are not acceptable and in order to use Azure Search I would have to deploy to two regions to ensure high availability.
    Unfortunately Azure Search is only available in Australia East.

Making Azure search available in multiple australia regions would open up opportunities for us to utilise azure search.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Internationalization  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. provide top N DISTINCT values from suggester API

At the moment the suggester API return the top N results, but if I want use this feature on a field that contains duplicate values, this request could show me N identical values.
    For example, my index contains the searchable fields address and city (address as the key) and the city field contains only the cities "Parma" and "Pavia". I want to add autocomplete on the city field on the web app. The suggester API with TOP 5 could give me 5 identical values with the city "pavia". But I like to see both the cities in the TOP 5.…

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  REST API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. OCR Cognitive Skill for both printed and handwritten text

When parsing documents and images through the OCR cognitive skill, the 'handwritten' text extraction algorithm fails on printed documents and vice versa. This obviously isn't a bug, but it is an issue when indexing data dumps of both document types. It seems like a fix might be to have a small binary classifier model which can infer which model is appropriate for each document.
    An alternative might be an easy method of flagging documents as handwritten or printed to handle them with the appropriate model.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

While we’re currently not planning on solving this out of the box, we are exploring a new cognitive services for custom document classification, that you could use to build your own classifier, and then wire it as a cognitive skill to your search pipeline. Feel free to reach out to us if you’re interested in exploring this further.

Thanks,
    Elad

10. Support vertically scale-up by choosing VM size

Right now, we can only scale out the search service by setting partition and replica. It is nice to be able to scale up the service vertically by choose more powerful VM, say A4, A7 etc..., so hide the VM details but expose CPU/Memory options to user.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add a paid shared option between the Free tier and the Basic tier

While the basic tier was a step in the right direction, it's not working perfectly for us.

We are running a single basic instance for budgetary reasons. As a result, we see occasional (albeit brief) slowdowns/outages when code updates are deployed by the azure search team.

My understanding is that the free tier actually has better availability than a single dedicated instance.

Our index fits in the free tier. However, we wouldn't have enough room for QA and DEV indexes.

This has me considering the odd arrangement of running our production index in the free tier for higher availability, and…

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Expose Content as searchable field even in structured (JSON) data

If I want to index JSON files I can either full text search using parsingMode TEXT or I can index fields using fieldMappings.

Why not make both available? That way a user can get a fast search using an indexeg field (like a Product number), or a slower one using the file content (like Product description).

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Presto based managed query service

I want Presto based managed query service like AWS Athena and GCP Bigquery.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Support multi point Edm.GeographyPoint search

It would be great if you could sort by nearest where documents could have an array of Edm.GeographyPoints.
    We are currently duplicating documents for every different Edm.GeographyPoint.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Query - Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. API to check availability of documents for search

Currently there is short delay before documents become available for search after they were created or updated.

For better consistency a blocking call that returns after all of the documents updates, creates, etc have been indexed and are ready for search would be great.

Or provide status api for the set of documents updates, creates, etc sent to understand if they have all been indexed and are ready for search

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Fully covered OData filter functions

Needed for use case like `$filter=length(title) gt 64` and/or `$filter=toupper(firstname)`

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Query - Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Indexer priority

We are using CosmosDb as our DB for apps search and we need to have overrides to change apps metadata on-the-fly. This allows us to hide some apps from clients or change privacy statements without the need for the developer to re-upload their work.

To achieve this, we use a CosmosDb collection for the app data and another for the overrides.
    In order to provide our clients with search, we use Azure Search and to keep indexes up-to-date, we wanted to use Indexers.

It is indeed possible at the present time to have multiple data sources get uploaded to the…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Crawlers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Also, you may want to start a stack overflow discussion on this topic… may be we can think of other mechanisms (besides indexer priorities) that allow you to get to an acceptable outcome.

Thanks,
    Luis Cabrera

18. Provide basic web interface

Provide a basic web interface that can be used with the service with no coding (something like the SharePoint Search Center).

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Adding hard delete policy to all of Indexer

Can we add hard delete policy to all of indexer as same as soft delete policy?
    Some senario in custmer immideiately want to refect source change result. We know we can do it by making push base approach, but it's much easier and simplyer to ensure single data update way.

Cosmos:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/search/search-howto-index-cosmosdb#indexing-deleted-documents

Azure Table:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/search/search-howto-indexing-azure-tables#incremental-indexing-and-deletion-detection

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Expose write metrics not just read metrics through the portal

At the moment the portal only shows read metrics (QPS, Latency, Throttled) but this is only half the picture of what can be impacting an Azure Search Service.

Write metrics (e.g. index updates per second) are just as important especially for high volume re-indexing operations,

To get anything like this needs an export of logs, which goes to an unusable Json format (i.e. CSV is more useful for analysis) and/or a PowerBI account.

Neither of which are particularly useful for this scenario where we just need a quick review of what's actually going on with our index.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base