Azure Search

Azure Search is a search-as-a-service solution that allows developers to incorporate a sophisticated search experience into web and mobile applications without having to worry about the complexities of full-text search and without having to deploy, maintain or manage any infrastructure

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Elastic Azure Search

Provide an elasticity option as with Azure SQL Databases, for search it's a MUST HAVE feature!!!

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support scoring profiles on suggesters

I think it would be valuable to expand the capabilities of suggesters. Right now, they're somewhat limited. I think it would be nice if they provided the flexibility of scoring profiles. The reason why is because sometimes, it might be nice to show the most recently added or viewed documents (i.e. Edm.DateTimeOffset) as suggestions. Other times, you may want to show the most popular, or most viewed, documents (i.e Edm.Int32). These are just two scenarios that I would like to cover with suggestions, but, I'm a bit limited.

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Query - Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Provide ability of collection Type field to be searched against individual values separately

For a document, where there are multiple values in its collection type column, it gives it lesser score (and hence either to come lower or may not even come in the result) to it even though the search query has matched with ONE of the values in the list COMPLETELY.

This is because, currently Azure Search considers list of all the values provided in the collection type as a single string by concatenating all of them.
    My requirement is that if the search query (for that field) matches with any of the values in the collection, it should consider it…

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Ignore thumbnails when indexing word documents

Word supports saving documents with a thumbnail which contains the text content from the first page. When Azure Search indexes documents, it also indexes their embedded documents. Generally speaking this is useful behaviour, but in this case it leads to content duplication of the first page.

We cannot control documents provided by users so Azure Search should handle this and ignore thumbnails when indexing Word Documents.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. allow indexers to call DocumentDB stored procedures

We have difficulty in transferring documents where we require multiple maps of our data into the flat search index. There is a limit of two user defined functions (which we use to do this) and there doesn't appear to be a way to call a stored procedure through the query language. Having the search indexers support DocumentDB stored procedures gives us far more power and flexibility to map the data correctly. At the moment we have had to revert back to writing our own code to do this.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Crawlers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Scoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Language analyzer - ability to disable word decompounding

Azure Search has word decompounding (in languages like German, Danish, Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian, Estonian, Finish, Hungarian, Slovak)
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/searchservice/language-support

However often it doesn't lead to desired output as we need to find only compound words.
    Especially interested to have it in "et.microsoft" analyzer.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. clone index

I'd like to implement 'versioning' indexes for each DocDB repository.
    In example, DocDB collections are crawler-2016 and crawler-2015, each of which will be indexed to index-2016 and index-2015 in Azure Search.

In this operation, 'Clone Index' button could be helpful greatly as I have to create each index one by one. Actually I screen-captured previous index fields and tick-tick index checkboxes which created from DocDB import datasource.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Support filter min score

Elasticsearch support "min_score" to filter documents by scoring.
    https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/search-request-min-score.html

Can you add this feature to allow us to deal with irrelevant results please ?

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. term boosting in synonym map

Synonym maps now exist as a preview feature, but the values mapped are considered truly synonymous. It would be great if we could basically use the synonym map feature and input a map that contains static term boosting.

For example:
    castle => fortress^2, fort^1.5, stronghold^1.75, fortification^2, keep^2.7, citadel^1.8

rather than
    castle => fortress, fort, stronghold, fortification, keep, citadel

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add a description field to index for better manageability between indexes with similar names.

We create a lot of indexes for experiments. Over time it becomes harder to remember the differences between indexes with similar names. We could add something to the index name to distinguish them. But it makes the name messy. It'd be better to have a description field in index to describe what the index is.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Implement Data Lake Gen2 Search Indexer

It seems like MSFT is pushing Data Lake as a more robust implementation of Azure Blob.

Implementing a Data Lake Gen2 Search Indexer would give my team confidence that Azure Search will align with our move to Data Lake.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Indexing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Provide a PHP SDK for Azure Search

Provide a PHP SDK for Azure Search that covers the same functionality as the .NET SDK.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Client SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Support prefix matching for suggestions

The suggester in Azure Search has only 1 SearchMode and that is it will match on any word within the field. Although this might be appropriate for many applications, it also is not for many others. It would be useful if we can configure the suggester so that a match occurs only when the beginning of the field is a match.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. This sounds a lot like the Autocomplete API, which provides the words in the index that starts with the provided term. This may be the underlying use case the suggestion was looking for.

While it is unlikely we’ll address this suggestion in the near future, we’ll reassess based on the number of votes it receives.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Azure Search Product Team

15. Table Storage Indexing of multiple tables at scale

I believe that a good pattern for Azure Table Storage is to enable fast deletes by simply dropping tables. I've implemented a multi-tenant model for my data using a table per tenant, and would like to aggregate search data across tables.

The current recommendation is to create an indexer per table. This means the number of tenants I support (which I'm hoping to be in the thousands) is limited to the number of indexers I can create, which is a very low number.

The latest table storage SDK has methods to asynchronously list tables in a segmented fashion using continuation…

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Crawlers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Provide a Ruby SDK for Azure Search

Provide a Ruby SDK for Azure Search that covers the same functionality as the .NET SDK.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Client SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. SQL Server integrated change detection for VIEWS

Currently, only tables can use SQL Server integrated change detection, for automatically detect if rows are changed or deleted.

For views, this is manually coded.

Please, add support to it.

THANKS

-------------------------

Text removed from https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/search-howto-connecting-azure-sql-database-to-azure-search-using-indexers-2015-02-28/

If the data is scattered across multiple tables, you can create a view and use that view with the indexer. However, be aware that if you use a view, you won’t be able to use SQL Server integrated change detection. See this section for more details.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Crawlers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Highlight search text on blob documents

search API should return document that should highlight search text inside the document. So that when i download view the document it should highlight search terms/text in documents like pdf, excel,word and etc.

same like JFK it will do only for image but good to have document highlighting

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Allow access to stored term frequencies for searchable fields

Term frequencies are maintained for searchable fields in order to compute things like TF/IDF quickly. It should be possible to access those term frequencies for additional analysis.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Given the current API surface area of Azure Search, how would you actually use these term frequencies? Said another way, what other capabilities would you require in the API in order for term frequencies to actually be useful?

Thank you for your feedback. While it is unlikely we’ll address this suggestion in the near future, we’ll reassess based on the number of votes it receives.

Thanks,
    Mike Carter
    Azure Search Product Team

20. Cursor-based pagination

When new elements are added to the beginning of an index paginating with $top/$skip will return duplicated elements. The cursor-based pagination solves such problems.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  REST API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base