Azure Search

Azure Search is a search-as-a-service solution that allows developers to incorporate a sophisticated search experience into web and mobile applications without having to worry about the complexities of full-text search and without having to deploy, maintain or manage any infrastructure

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow SkipContent to be set directly on the blob indexer

The azure blob indexer currently checks for a metadata property AzureSearch_SkipContent to skip the processing of the content. It would be easier to just tell the indexer directly to skip processing content for all blobs.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Crawlers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This functionality is now available in REST API, using 2015-02-28-Preview version.

Excerpt from the docs:
    Using indexer parameters to control document extraction

If you want to skip content extraction for all blobs, you can do this using indexer configuration object, instead of having to add custom metadata to each blob individually. To do this, set SkipContent configuration property to true in the parameters object:

PUT https://[service name].search.windows.net/indexers/?api-version=2015-02-28-Preview
    Content-Type: application/json
    api-key: [admin key]

{
    … other parts of indexer definition
    “parameters” : { “configuration” : { “SkipContent” : true } }
    }

Thanks!
    Your Azure Search team

2. 18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Crawlers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 355 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    24 comments  ·  Crawlers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This functionality is now available to all customers as a part of Cognitive Search feature of Azure Search. See:
    - Introduction to Cognitive Search: https://docs.microsoft.com/azure/search/cognitive-search-concept-intro
    - Process and extract information from images: https://docs.microsoft.com/azure/search/cognitive-search-concept-image-scenarios

Please try it out and give us your feedback.
    Thanks,
    Your Azure Search team

4. Allow indexer data source to use custom schema for SQL Azure

Today we HAVE to use dbo schema for source tables used as data sources by the search indexer. As you know, a lot of enterprises have rules against allowing objects to be created on dbo. This seems like a unnecessary requirement, and surely this could be a simple fix, right? Just let me specify whatever level of qualifier for the container name of my object in SQL Azure...

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Crawlers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Create multiple data sources

Have the option to run multiple data sources will give a extra level of performance and will avoid reinventing the wheel.

We are working with multiple databases in Azure but we need to combine them and bring a particular result. Multiple data sources will bring the feature which allow us to actually use Search as an really advance search engine. We use DocumentDb and SQL Server in Azure, so it will be just brilliant to have that combination. The posibilities will be endless.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Indexing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Extract document structure from JSON blobs

Currently, blob indexer extracts entire document into a single 'content' field. Instead, we want the blobs containing JSON documents to be interpreted as documents with multiple fields.

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Crawlers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Azure search scoring profile dstiance

When we try to add a scoring profile for Azure search based on distance the drop down for the field can't be selected. This makes it impossible to add a distance scoring profile.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add ASCII-friendly string decoder to indexer field mapping functions

Indexing of custom blob metadata to specified schema fields is great, but Azure blob metadata is restricted to only ASCII characters. Currently I can get around this limitation by encoding all blob metadata using URI-encoding (Base64 encoding would also work). However, this means that those fields are not searchable/filterable on their original content.

If you were to add a new field mapping function that decodes URI (or Base64) encoded values, this problem would go away.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 106 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Location field for the Search Service is not consistent with other services

In my deployment templates I use [ResourceGroup().location] to specify the location for the resources in the group.
    This works for all the services I've tried so far except for Search which requires the full string only, like "West Europe".

This is a little inconsistency that is very inconvenient as I now need to pass the Location parameter to all templates that deploy search. Search is a bit different than others on the length of the service name(15 chars only, reminds me of NetBIOS names). But this is a different story.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Index is stuck in Creating state - unfixable!

I can't delete an index as it is stuck in creating state. Please provide controls to force deletion of indexes which are stuck in creation state.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Indexing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Darryl,
    The index was stuck in Creating state due to a bug on our side – eventually we identified this “partially created” index and removed it, so you should be able to recreate this index now. Please let me know if you’re still having issues.
    I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused for you.

Thank you for using Azure Search.
    Eugene Shvets

12. Support user-provided query in SQL indexer

Let's say I run an indexer to read a really large table, with a billion records, out of which I'm interested in only a few thousands. This is a database I do not own, and I have only read permissions to it.

In this case it would be better to have a simple filter on which data to keep in the indexer throw away the irrelevant data.

For eg: "Index this table where TeamName equals MyTeam"

Even though the indexer runs on a large set of data, my index would only contain a smaller subset of data.

Smaller the index,…

66 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Crawlers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Able to do simple search on portal

To be able to view index and count of documents is what we have today. We are not able to see the actual documents also.
    Can we have a simple search bar for the respective index to search on ?
    This way we don't have to either write our calls to api, or use fiddler etc tools. To have this capability handy on portal itself, will be benevolent in terms of testing, verifying data upload etc.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Show documents on the portal itself

On azure portal, upon creating index and uploading data we just get to see the count of documents. It would be super helpful to be able to see the data also - like we see in sql table on querying.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Progressive cost for Azure search

There is currently only two plans for Azure Search. Free 15,000 documents and Standard 15M documents at 300$/month. Need a more progressive pricing model like all other products. This is hard to justify when your search engine cost more then the hosting and storage...

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Pricing and Quotas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Provide azure specific JSON ignore attribute

I had a need to ignore properties from the search index (and not defining it as a field threw an error). The provided way to do that is a JsonIgore attribute, but in this instance I also needed to serialize the object for something else where I did need those properties.

I worked around it by creating another azure search specific class and projecting to that, but it's a bit painful.

Having an AzureSearchJsonIgnore attribute would mean I could use it without interfering with the rest of my code.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Client SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The latest version of the .NET SDK (1.0.1-preview) allows for custom serialization via JSON.NET’s JsonConverter and IContractResolver mechanisms. These should be powerful enough to implement your own custom “JsonIgnore” attribute. Examples are available in the SDK tests on GitHub. See the “CanIndexAndRetrieveModelWithExtraProperties” test for details: https://github.com/Azure/azure-sdk-for-net/blob/AutoRest/src/Search/Search.Tests/Tests/IndexingTests.cs

17. Support character expansion - e.g., German Eszett - ß

In .NET text searches, using InvariantCulture, if I search for Straße, I will also get results for Strasse, and vice-versa.

Azure Search should also support that.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Indexing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Named Entity Recognition

Named Entity Recognition (NER) is the ability to extract entities from pieces of text. Entities can be many things but most often they are people, places and temporal derivatives.
    An implementation I have used with SolR is here https://opennlp.apache.org/documentation/1.5.3/manual/opennlp.html#tools.namefind.recognition

I would like to see something similar in Azure Search.

Why

Imagine you are an investigator and you have a load of documents which potentially could yield clues. Being able to extract the entities from documents could mean being able to recognise

Who
    Where
    When
    With Whom

Imagine then being able to take those entities and put them into a graph…

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Enterprise  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Apply different search terms to different sets of fields

When I have multiple words to search on, and multiple fields to search, I would like to be able to define which search words should be used to search on which search field.

To clarify take a look at this request:

https://[oursearch].search.windows.net/indexes/jobs/docs?$count=true&search=admin london&searchMode=all&searchFields=jobTitle,organisation,description,location&api-version=2015-02-28

This search terms are admin london. The fields I want to search on are title,organisation,description,location. I know london is a location so I only want to search in the location field for London but should search for "admin" in the other three fields (title,organisation,description).

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Query - Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Add fuzzy logic on searches

Please allow for fuzzy searches by enable that feature on the Lucene Simple Query Parser implementation (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/dn798920.aspx). It would greatly help to people who misspell some technical words or brand names.

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Query - Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base