Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

Azure Search

Azure Search is a search-as-a-service solution that allows developers to incorporate a sophisticated search experience into web and mobile applications without having to worry about the complexities of full-text search and without having to deploy, maintain or manage any infrastructure

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support picking existing index when creating an indexer in Azure Portal

Today is only possible to create an indexer if you follow the entire process through import data workflow:

-Select the data Source
    -Add Cognitive skills (optional)
    -Create an Index
    -Create an Indexer

However, there are times we want to set a different schedule for an indexer or create a new one, without recreating the index.

41 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Crawlers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support spatial data with flat projections

Today Search supports 2d sphere lat/long spatial data. I would like to see support for flat projections, points, polygons and lines.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Data Types  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. While it is unlikely we’ll address this suggestion in the near future, we’ll reassess based on the number of votes it receives.

With the private preview of complex types (api version 2018-11-11-Preview) you will be able to store a line and leverage it for geospatial queries.

Thanks,
    Vinod
    Azure Search Product Team

3. Use Webhooks after running an indexer

It would be interesting if an indexer could use Webhooks to notify that it has finished indexing. In this way, for example, we can integrate it with Azure functions and avoid having to poll for the status of an Indexer that I have triggered.
    I'm working on an application that will create contents and place them in Blob Storage. An indexer will be executed and I would like to execute some searches once the indexing is done. It would be nice if the Indexer could notify a function (via a webhook) that it finished indexing in order to execute those…

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Crawlers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Offer Elastic Search as PaaS service

Offer Elastic Search as PaaS service or managed cluster like Redis.
    Do not want Azure search but the native ES as service with its native interface and api.

99 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Adding hard delete policy to all of Indexer

Can we add hard delete policy to all of indexer as same as soft delete policy?
    Some senario in custmer immideiately want to refect source change result. We know we can do it by making push base approach, but it's much easier and simplyer to ensure single data update way.

Cosmos:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/search/search-howto-index-cosmosdb#indexing-deleted-documents

Azure Table:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/search/search-howto-indexing-azure-tables#incremental-indexing-and-deletion-detection

68 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Indexing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Adding hard delete policy to all of Indexer

Can we add hard delete policy to all of indexer as same as soft delete policy?
    Some senario in custmer immideiately want to refect source change result. We know we can do it by making push base approach, but it's much easier and simplyer to ensure single data update way.

Cosmos:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/search/search-howto-index-cosmosdb#indexing-deleted-documents

Azure Table:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/search/search-howto-indexing-azure-tables#incremental-indexing-and-deletion-detection

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Language analyzer - ability to disable word decompounding

Azure Search has word decompounding (in languages like German, Danish, Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian, Estonian, Finish, Hungarian, Slovak)
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/searchservice/language-support

However often it doesn't lead to desired output as we need to find only compound words.
    Especially interested to have it in "et.microsoft" analyzer.

42 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Query - Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Provide basic web interface

Provide a basic web interface that can be used with the service with no coding (something like the SharePoint Search Center).

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. API to check availability of documents for search

Currently there is short delay before documents become available for search after they were created or updated.

For better consistency a blocking call that returns after all of the documents updates, creates, etc have been indexed and are ready for search would be great.

Or provide status api for the set of documents updates, creates, etc sent to understand if they have all been indexed and are ready for search

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Expose write metrics not just read metrics through the portal

At the moment the portal only shows read metrics (QPS, Latency, Throttled) but this is only half the picture of what can be impacting an Azure Search Service.

Write metrics (e.g. index updates per second) are just as important especially for high volume re-indexing operations,

To get anything like this needs an export of logs, which goes to an unusable Json format (i.e. CSV is more useful for analysis) and/or a PowerBI account.

Neither of which are particularly useful for this scenario where we just need a quick review of what's actually going on with our index.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Indexing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add support for inheritance ($type)

Sometimes we have inheritance in our database tables. In my case, I have inheritance mapped to a table using EF Code First, and the table contains a generated column, [Discriminator], that tells the EF which type should be activated when fetching the entity.

There should be a way for Azure Search (a field transformation function maybe) to map discriminators in the database to fully qualified non-searchable $type fields in the indexes, in order for the SDK to be able to deserialize the types correctly using the TypeNameHandling setting of the Json.net serializer.

40 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Data Types  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Provide Azure Search in Australia-Southeast to allow for high availability

Hi,

I would like to use azure search for a variety of applications, however my clients require high availability and data sovereignty above all else.

SLA's of 99.9% are not acceptable and in order to use Azure Search I would have to deploy to two regions to ensure high availability.
    Unfortunately Azure Search is only available in Australia East.

Making Azure search available in multiple australia regions would open up opportunities for us to utilise azure search.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Internationalization  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Ignore thumbnails when indexing word documents

Word supports saving documents with a thumbnail which contains the text content from the first page. When Azure Search indexes documents, it also indexes their embedded documents. Generally speaking this is useful behaviour, but in this case it leads to content duplication of the first page.

We cannot control documents provided by users so Azure Search should handle this and ignore thumbnails when indexing Word Documents.

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Provide method for escaping characters in the search string like UrlEscape

Special characters must be escaped to be used as part of the search text. You can escape them by prefixing them with backslash (). Special characters that need to be escaped include the following:
    + - && || ! ( ) { } [ ] ^ " ~ * ? : \ /
    Is there a built in method, basically the equivalent of UrlEscape, which can do this, or is every developer actually expected to do their own implementation?

185 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Query - Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Random Scoring

See here https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/guide/current/random-scoring.html
    This has come up in the past on SO by other users as well.

50 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Scoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Expose Content as searchable field even in structured (JSON) data

If I want to index JSON files I can either full text search using parsingMode TEXT or I can index fields using fieldMappings.

Why not make both available? That way a user can get a fast search using an indexeg field (like a Product number), or a slower one using the file content (like Product description).

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Support multi point Edm.GeographyPoint search

It would be great if you could sort by nearest where documents could have an array of Edm.GeographyPoints.
    We are currently duplicating documents for every different Edm.GeographyPoint.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Query - Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Detailed Request Monitoring

We use Sitecore CMS which now supports Azure Search indexes. During our implementation we have discovered that re-index process fails. Using Fiddler we found the Azure Search REST requests that returned 207 (Multi status) responses and then reviewed the response body to determine the errors.

Beyond Fiddler running as a proxy and capturing the HTTPS traffic from Sitecore - we found no other way to get insight into the requests/responses from Azure Search service.

We enabled Operation Log monitoring but the Operation Log monitoring does not provide details about request body and response body.

We looked into Search Traffic Analytics,…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add more document allowance to the free tier

Thank you for the Free Tier!! We really love it! Just one thing to ask. Is it possible to add more document capacity to the free tier? We know you have to cut it off somewhere but 10,000 is just a bit small for eval purposes when working with big datasets. Maybe 100k or 150k?

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Clone entire Azure Search instance, just like I can clone App Service.

I would be extremely handy if I could clone entire Azure Search instance to the same or a new Resource Group, in the same or a new location using the same or another Azure Subscription. Like I can clone Azure App Service wherever I want.

User case: If there is an issue which is reproducible with production instance of Azure Search, then I will clone in to a separate sandbox, and take it from there. As of today, I have to create a brand new Azure Search instance, clone SQL Database and reindex them to get the same data.

45 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Enterprise  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base