Azure Search

Azure Search is a search-as-a-service solution that allows developers to incorporate a sophisticated search experience into web and mobile applications without having to worry about the complexities of full-text search and without having to deploy, maintain or manage any infrastructure

How can we improve Azure Search?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support schema changes with automated reindexing

Azure Search should support safe schema changes, such as deletion of fields, or maybe even safe field type changes (e.g., int -> string, or string -> string collection)

430 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      7 comments  ·  Indexing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Support "swapping" indexes

Let's say you want to make some changes to an index, like changing from tokenized to indexed or from Edm.String to Collection(Edm.String), ... or even re-index all the data with some additional information.

It would be great if we could have a "production" and a "staging" slot in an index (similar to Cloud Services for example) where we can do whatever we need to do in the staging slot, and as soon as we're ready (all data has been indexed), we simply swap the staging slot to the production slot and from that point on the new index is used.

272 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        under review  ·  7 comments  ·  Indexing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Time to Live for data

Also nice to have feature would be to purge data which is more than x days old by issuing explicit command or having TTL on documents.

86 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Indexing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Analyzer with Automatic language detection

Our use case is that users upload files which can be in any languages, hence we have to do language identification on the content. Each file only exists in one language, meaning we don't have multiple translations of the same file.

For now that means we have to create one field per potential language in the index and assign them corresponding language analyzers. Then when we index the file we upload it's content to the field matching the language. Then when we add more field with the same language requirements we end up with spending a huge number of fields…

52 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Indexing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Support for Geo.distance function on customer location compared to index data

We have clients that we want to expose using the search feature. They do not want to appear if customer is outside there catchment area.
            The Geo.Distance function can only be compared to fixed data.
            I'd like to compare this with data held in the index.

44 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              5 comments  ·  Indexing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Possibility to delete documents that correspond to a filter

It would be useful to be able to remove from an index documents that correspond a specified filter or a facet. Currently you need to retrieve all those documents from the index and only then can you delete them.

44 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                3 comments  ·  Indexing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • external version

External Versioning Support

Are there any plans to support external versioning like the following: https://www.elastic.co/blog/elasticsearch-versioning-support

We are trying to migrate off of an Elasticsearch system where versioning support is being used to allow multiple Indexers potentially processing the same document (potentially different versions of the same document).
                By using primary store’s version, we ensure that latest version of document is not overwritten by the older version of document.

I was reading up on stackoverflow (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28917204/azure-search-data-consistency) even with Etags support, it seems that each writer will need to read the document from AzureSearch to ensure it has the latest…

24 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Allow suggestions for custom analyzers

Just what the title says.

22 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • It would be very useful, for the sake of more accurate suggestions, to provide the equivalent of SolR ShingleFilterFactory. This would let u

It would be very useful, in order to provide more accurate suggestions, to have the equivalent of SolR ShingleFilterFactory (http://lucene.apache.org/core/4_7_0/analyzers-common/org/apache/lucene/analysis/shingle/ShingleFilterFactory.html).
                    This would let us give the user suggestions with actual groups of words found in the index.

17 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      1 comment  ·  Indexing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Create a Sitecore Azure Search Provider

Sitecore comes with/supports Lucene and SOLR sitecore search providers.
                      Coveo have built/supports their own Sitecore search provider.
                      Could Microsoft build/support a Sitecore Azure Search provider?

Currently are a few open source implementations, e.g. https://github.com/jscott1277/SitecoreAzureSearchProvider

In a recent press release
                      http://www.sitecore.net/about/press-and-media/press-releases/2016/07/sitecore-partners-microsoft-transform-digital-experience-at-speed-microsoft-azure.aspx
                      "the two companies plan to expand their long-standing strategic alliance to enrich Sitecore’s Microsoft Azure cloud offerings over the next two years"
                      Might this be included as part of that?

13 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Make the blob indexer faster

From the tests I made, currently a single blob indexer in S2 with 1 partition and 1 replica is only able to process between 50 000 and 75 000 small office documents (1 to 4 pages) in a 24 hour period.

The current solution which would be to restructure millions of blobs into "directories" with max 75 000 blobs in them and have 12 indexers is completely out of the question due to the insane pricing model and the time it would take to both, modify consumers with new paths and move blobs to a new structure. The latter being…

9 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Extend spatial features to allow indexing and searching of polygons and multi-polygons

Extend spatial features to allow indexing and searching of polygons and multi-polygons

8 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Support an Azure SQL Data Warehouse as a data source (with enable change tracking).

It would be useful to be able to connect a SQL DW table to an index. I did try this but it seems SQL DW does not support the ENABLE CHANGE_TRACKING option so that means I could not synch changes which is key. Also I believe Azure search needs a PK on the table to manage changes - and DW does not use primary keys. So it may need new features in SQL DW first.....

7 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • base64decode method should handle standard strings

Azure Search indexer base64decode method should handle standard URL Safe Base64 encoded strings, and not the out-of-standard strings returned by classic System.Web.HttpServerUtility.UrlTokenEncode method, which is not even available in latest versions of the framework. This method is returning non-standard strings, as it replaces padding characters '=' with a digit indicating the number of = signs that were removed. Azure Search base64 decode method expects this non-standard strings, rather than standard URL safe Base64 encoded strings, otherwise it breaks with error: "Error applying mapping function 'base64Decode' to field 'aaa': Array cannot be null.\r\nParameter name: bytes". Which means that using JavaScript or…

6 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Indexing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Use a XSD schema to populate the index fields

We have large scehams that define individual aspects of healthcare data. We would like to use these schemas to define the fields than entering most of these manually. For this to work, obviously we need support for crawling XML data (similar to what you have for JSON). XML provides a good structure and has many industry standard schemas that we can leverage.

3 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Detailed Request Monitoring

We use Sitecore CMS which now supports Azure Search indexes. During our implementation we have discovered that re-index process fails. Using Fiddler we found the Azure Search REST requests that returned 207 (Multi status) responses and then reviewed the response body to determine the errors.

Beyond Fiddler running as a proxy and capturing the HTTPS traffic from Sitecore - we found no other way to get insight into the requests/responses from Azure Search service.

We enabled Operation Log monitoring but the Operation Log monitoring does not provide details about request body and response body.

We looked into Search Traffic Analytics,…

3 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Add more document allowance to the free tier

Thank you for the Free Tier!! We really love it! Just one thing to ask. Is it possible to add more document capacity to the free tier? We know you have to cut it off somewhere but 10,000 is just a bit small for eval purposes when working with big datasets. Maybe 100k or 150k?

3 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Support for Postgresql for using indexers

How indexers work with PostgreSQL ? If PostgreSQL is not supported, then can we access the azure search service without indexers?
                                      IS there any tool through which we can load data from PostgreSQL to azure, or any tool which integrates with azure to get the data from PostgreSQL or any other available option to index the data from PostgreSQL while accessing Azure search service?

2 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Having WebJob in process to execute before Indexing while we want to reply events from eventstore and create the DB

Having WebJob in process to execute before Indexing while we want to reply events from eventstore and create the DB

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Search Index definition VS Population

When we create an index we define it with a JSON schema.
                                          When pushing documents into the index we have to adhere to that schema exactly.

In our domain that JSON document may contain other attributes which are important but are not candidates for indexing. Currently we have to pull out the fields from our document and hand those on to Azure Search for indexing.

Latency, traffic, other implications aside it would be nice if Azure Search only looked for the indexed attributes and ignored everything else.

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Indexing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base