Azure Backup

Welcome to the Azure Backup feedback forum! This is where we would like to hear your feedback and ideas on how we can improve our product.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow Pausing of Azure Backup

Pausing a large backup, particularly the initial Online backup, would have saved me 4-5 days vs. starting from scratch. Additionally, you can't throttle bandwidth while a backup is running. Pausing would should also allow a change in throttling.

100 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  6 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Multiple schedules of synchronization job

For example - 15 minutes synchronization on work hours and 1 hrs synchonization after them.

55 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make It Easier to Add Exclusions

Suppose I was backing up drives C:, D:, E: and F: and I wanted to add exclusions for file types *.flv, *.mov, *.mp3, *.pst* and *.tmp. In the job configuration I have to manually add:
    C: - *.flv
    C: - *.mov
    C: - *.mp3
    C: - *.pst
    C: - *.tmp
    D: - *.flv
    D: - *.mov
    D: - *.mp3
    D: - *.pst
    D: - *.tmp
    E: - *.flv
    etc. etc.
    F: - *.tmp

Please add the option for global excludes across all drives!

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Integrate Azure Backup with Group Policy

We have Azure Backup (MARS) deployed to 150+ servers across the globe and we would like to see a mechanism whereby we can make a global change across all servers e.g. Group Policy.

For example, we now need to add a file exclusion to every job on the 150+ servers and as far as I'm aware this means connecting to each server individually and making the change.

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Enable the labelling of Azure backup/restore points

Allow users to label their Azure backups or restore points such that users can easily identify their backups and revert to restore points when needed

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add Retry to Backup process

While doing backup on protected items, we saw an inconsistent backup of VMs. We use Recovery Service -> Backup Vault. In case of failure , there is no retry for taking backups. And there is no new notification features available to administrator which can help us to understand that there is a failure. If notified in right time, administrator can go and invoke backup manually.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Comments tab on the protected Items page

We have a situation where we are looking at backing up servers from multiple schools.

The problem is most our schools servers are all called the same, for example "schserv01"

When installing the backup agent and it is then registered and protected in Azure, we have multiple servers all showing up with the same name "schserv01" Now we do not know which one is for which school...

We can't rename the server, So would it be possible to have a comments section on the protected items page within the portal, that way we could comment which each server is. Better…

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Intelligence pack for Operational Insights (monitoring of the backup)

We would like to have an Intelligence Pack for Azure Backup for Azure Operational Insights so we could centralise the monitoring with Azure Operational Insights.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Ability to name a backup job

I would like to name my backup in the client and have it appear in the portal.

Example: I'm backing up a specific folder(s) of D:\ not the whole drive. The entry in the portal could make others (or myself at a later date) believe D:\ is being backed up.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add end-time of a job in job-list / add duration in job details

It is good to see the time which a job consumed for several jobs at once, but please add "end-time" as a column in the job-list. The end-time is only listed in the details of a job. In the details, the duration is missing.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. add metrics like capacity to back up like in Azure Storage

when we back up servers we need to notify about exceeding capacity

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Present retention weeks/months/years in Azure Recovery Services Agent dashboard/startpage (wabadmin.msc)

Currently only days are presented, which is misleading.. See attached file.

Small things matter, this minor improvement would be nice :)

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Formal workaround for standalone 'server' Backup Vault name collisions.

I want to backup files from lots of standalone (non-domain) Windows 2008+ servers and Windows 7 workstations distributed across many independent sites to a single subscription within our EA Azure, however there are too many identically named computers names to put one in each of the maximum 25 Backup Vaults in a single subscription. Spreading them across multiple subscriptions will make the overall management in Azure too difficult. It is not logistically or culturally feasible to fix this problem by neatly renaming the computers to have new unique names.

I see two potential solutions:

1) Getting these computers to talk…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. In cases of an Ad-Hoc backup (versus a scheduled one) - I would like to type in a description of why the ad-hoc was taken

I use Azure recovery extensively for lab testing. Having a simple label associated with ad-hoc backup would be very useful.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. workstation backup : ability to have no planned backup, but can use "save now" option when I want

Hi,
    In the current version of the workstation agent, we must have a minimum of one policy, and here I mean with a specific time to be executed. I noticed that if my machine is down (let's say supposed to backup at noon), and if I turn it on 2 hours later backup will start while I am working
    that would be fantastic to have a policy, but not force any specific time to be executed. Then, when I want, just need to click the "save now" button, with no impact on my work and if home no impact on…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. powershell

Enable execution of Azure Automation runbooks as pre and post scripts, possibly as an option within Backup Policy

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Add option to monitor who has restored something

It would be nice if one could Monitor which user account was used for restoring something

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base