Azure Backup

Welcome to the Azure Backup feedback forum! This is where we would like to hear your feedback and ideas on how we can improve our product.

How can we improve Azure Backup?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Azure Files Backup maximum retention increase

Currently Backup for Azure File shares only offers the ability to retain your daily backups up to 120 days. For compliance and continuity reasons the maximum retention range for Azure File Backup should be increased to mirror the retention range for Virtual Machines. Specifically: 9999 Daily, 9999 Weekly, 9999 Monthly, and 9999 Yearly.

226 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      planned  ·  12 comments  ·  Azure Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Would love to see Azure Backup support for DNS zones

Would be great to be able to backup and restore my DNS zones. As with the file shares preview, it needs to be able to detect un-backed-up zones easily and apply backup policy across all my zones (e.g. at RG or Subscription level). Need to be able to browse individual DNS records for restore (I might just need to restore one, not the whole zone)

13 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Azure Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Longer Term Retention of Backups for Azure File Shares

I have set up an Azure File Share and configured a daily backup. But the retention period for daily backup is only 120 days. I need a way to retain backups for a longer period of time for compliance and archival purposes. Quarterly backups would be fine. Is there a way I can backup a file share or a snapshot of a file share to regular Azure Backup with the availability of its longer retention periods?

13 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          3 comments  ·  Azure Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Azure File Share backup to different storage account and retention > 120 days

Backup of Azure Files to a different storage account than on the one it already resides and use it for Long term Retention ( > 120)

7 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Backup policy for fileshares

Have policy similar to VM policies with retention of weekly and monthly backups

6 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  Azure Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Multiple backup jobs / screenshots per day automatically - File shares

In our business we do shifts and need at least 2 backups per day for the same file shares automatically. having the option of 2 different times for the daily backup or create more than one backup job for the same files is needed.

4 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Convert Outlook MSG Contacts files to VCF format

I must say according to my experience, MSG to VCF Converter is the best-suited solution to your problem. Once use this tool. I hope you will get a quick solution to your problem.
                For more info: https://www.mailvare.com/free-msg-to-vcf-converter/

3 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Support for Azure file shares in storage accounts that have Virtual Networks or Firewall enabled.

It is (now) not possible to use Azure Backup for storage accounts that limit connections through virtual networks or ip numbers.

3 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Would need to see additional options for Weeky, Monthly and Yearly backups for Azure Files. Without this option we can’t use Azure Files.

Additional options for Weekly, Monthly and Yearly backups for Azure Files. We wouldn’t be able to use Azure Files without this.

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      1 comment  ·  Azure Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Is restoration possible even after your azure in open credits are over?

My Azure in Open credits is over. Soon I will be adding credits to the subscription. For my subscription, I have only one service i.e. Azure Backup for Files and Folders. Is it possible for me to restore files even though my credits are over?

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • file share backup monitoring

Currently Backup for Azure File shares doesn't send log to log analytics. For monitoring purpose backup of azure file share should be send logs to LA like azure vm backup do.

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Don't see your idea?

Azure Backup

Feedback and Knowledge Base