Azure Backup

Welcome to the Azure Backup feedback forum! This is where we would like to hear your feedback and ideas on how we can improve our product.

How can we improve Azure Backup?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. on-demand backup to keep a seperate copy, along with shceduled VM backup retention

there should be an option to do on-demand backup as well, even though there is a scheduled backup of VM there. this would be helpful to recover the VM to desired state , even though corresponding scheduled VM backup is lost after retention period.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: oidc
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Snapshot backup at VHD level

There is an option to take snapshot backup in AWS which will take VHD level backup like wise in Azure, there is no option to take root drive backup. It would be better if we have snapshot backup at VHD level (root drive), because it is really helpful when we plan for patching activity for Windows VMs

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Support restoring while retaining original VHD filenames

Azure VM level backups rename the source vhd into a random filename. When we restore VM from backup, the new VM doesn't retain the original names. We have a use case where we would like to use RM templates to deploy replica dev/test environments from Prod backups. Currently that is not possible without a lot of coding to parse the backup xml file to identify which vhds are assigned to which LUNs. Is there a better way to implement this use case or is there a feature in planning to allow us to retain original filenames?

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Coordinated Multi-VM Backups

Multi-VM systems like SharePoint really need the same effect as Consistency Groups on a SAN. VMware (sorry, I forget the specific name of the tech) has the ability to take VSS-quiesced VM snapshots on multiple VMs in conjunction with a Consistency Group (LUN) snapshot on the SAN. This is an important foundation of their SRM product, since it provides app-consistent snapshots of all servers in the consistency group at the exact same point in time. If we can get multiple VMs VSS-quiesced at the same point in time, then that would be ideal. It would provide a compelling reason to…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Install VM Agent when registering a VM for new VM Level Backup Feature

Since VM Agent is required for the new VM Level Backup feature to work, the recovery services register wizard should either provide a hyperlink to a TechNet article on how to manually install the VM Agent, or it should run the powershell command to set ProvisionGuestAgent value to true using Powershell or a REST call.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Recover IaaS VM back to on premise

For regulatory reasons we need access to historic backups. If for any reason we move away from Azure I need to know I can still access them so I would like to be given the option to recover the VM to an on premise location.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Azure Recover Service

I am currently testing the Recover Service to backup Azure based servers and have discovered that the agent has a requirement for the server to not have FIPS encryption setting turned on (HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\FIPSAlgorithmPolicy\Enabled = 1)

Turning this off reduces the security posture of the server and goes against our standard and security team requirements. Considering this is a show stopper for us is there any consideration to changing the requirement for FIPS to be turned off?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Azure VM Level Backup - Shut Down original VM before starting up restored VM

Azure VM Level Backups (announced March 26th, 2015) include a restore step that starts a VM with the same computer name on the network as the original VM. I recommend adding a checkbox that prompts the user whether they want the original VM shut down or turned off, as this would avoid having two computers on the network with the same computer name. Or in a batch environment, you would not want a batch to be fired off on two systems as this could contaminate data.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  IaaS VM  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Backup IaaS VMs and workloads in AWS to Azure backup

Azure backup to support backing up AWS IaaS VMs and workloads to Azure Backup vault.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Could you please let me know, if the vm is in affinity group can we add to recovery service and it will take a successful backup for VM

Could you please let me know, if the vm is in affinity group can we add to recovery service and it will take a successful backup for VM ? Because this limitation is added in limitations?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Status on VM Panel

It should be great if you Provide classification on VM Panel whether VM is backed up or not so that user came to know from VM Panel whether VM is backed up or not.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Option for IaaS restore of VM to not automatically start

Currently, a restore VM will start automatically, which will cause the restored data to change since applications / jobs will run. And it can cause conflicts if that system tries to interact with other systems.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Backup

Feedback and Knowledge Base