How can we improve Azure Backup?

Migrate data from GRS to LRS

I have an existing vault that uses GRS storage. I want to make use of the new LRS storage available. However this LRS choice is available only to new vaults created.

I don't want to lose the data that has already been backed up to Azure. Can I migrate my data and vault from GRS storage to LRS storage?

476 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Aashish Ramdas shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • Stanislav Dekov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very unprofessional, please bring this feature to switch between GRS to LRS without removing backups!

• Stanislav Galchonkov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft are scammers!
    You set most expensive GRS option by default (in 2 times in comparison to LRS!!!), you hided the GRS/LRS setting from Recovery Services Vault creation wizard in different UI place intentionally! Or maybe this is exactly the poor level of Microsoft Solution Architect who placed it separately?
    No ability to change the setting after even one-time backup. It shouldn't be that complex!!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! even we are facing the same issue. we can not move from GRS to LRS on the fly.

Only option, we should remove the all backup and reconfigure.

I would request MS team to bring the option to covert GRS to LRS so that we can save atlest some cost.

• Rupesh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MS should provide a better way to to move GRS to LRS instead of workaround.
    We have lot of calls coming in now from different clients. Or, atleast put LRS option right in front of first RSVault creation.

I will look forward an update.
    Case: 119060422001150

This is very inconvenient and unacceptable thing, please bring this feature to switch between GRS to LRS without removing backups.

• Nayan Mamania commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring the feature to change the option from GRS to LRS without deleting existing backup data. Why we use GRS for non-production environment in IAAS.
    Also get the option to change this feature in ARM template.

• Humza Yasin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see this function ASAP!!! Is this something that can be accomplished via CLI?

• Tom Howard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From the perspective of legal responsibility for backup retention, this is an irresponsible shortcoming. If a company makes the decision to change between LRS and GRS, they cannot truly implement that until the period of time elapses which is in their data retention requirements. This traps the customer into continuing to use the old version of the service for a period that likely extends to 6-7 years. If they are switching from LRS to GRS, will Microsoft take responsibility/liability for data lost due to this shortcoming? I doubt that they will want to, but with no alternative I see a risk here for Microsoft, and would recommend addressing it as soon as possible.

• Lee Hubble commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would also be nice to add this as part of the setup wizard to choose what type of storage you require.

• Dillon Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At the very least, there should be a warning of some kind that appears before starting backups in a container that indicates how to change the replication and warns that it can't be changed after backups start. We also need appropriate documentation of how to change the setting (open the vault > Backup Infrastructure > Backup Configuration) and when it can be changed.

• HS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, please fix this! What kind of system is this? You *must* provide some option, however complicated it may be to allow us to keep our backups and move it to a new place. I am glad I found this now when I don't have too many backups to lose.

I agree and its crazy to see this is still not possible. There should be discount/prorating over a month to ensure that if LRS was used instead, it accomodates.
    Im hoping they come out with a method to move the data over such as when we are concerned on clients in Asia or South America.

• Sean Haley, MCSE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have an onsite MS DPM 2016 server. We purchased GRS bulk storage and our costs are ballooning out of control. MS support tells me there is no way to convert to LRS so that our budget i quickly back under control. MS states that we will have to create a new LRS vault and be "double billed" basically if we want to retain the prior GRS data that will now sit idle and no longer be managed or maintained. Embarrassing as a MS partner to have to explain this to my CIO and the rest of the IT team. MS wants us to eat the cost due to a function that is not operational in the Azure control panel - one that is configured with our onsite MS DPM 2016 server. I'm beyond disappointed with this. With all the competition out there for backup and replication MS will be taking a hit here for sure until they get this fixed. I'm also a VEEAM user and was under the assumption that using a MS product such as MS DPM 2016 - we would have tighter integration and more features than using a non MS cloud solution such as Azure bulk storage. Ugh. They have created a model where you are trapped and instead of saving or reducing your bill your going to have to eat additional money to "resolve" the issue. Basically I'm told to create a new LRS vault and start over. Unacceptable.

• BW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've only been able to change to LRS in the old portal under Configuration.
    But you have to create a new vault in the old portal. I could not see the vaults I've created in the new portal in the old portal.
    I expect you can change this using powershell too, but haven't tried.
    I know this comment doesn't answer the migrate issue...but I would be surprised if it was possible!.
    MS haven't even made an effort to make it possible to change to LRS in the new portal.

Are you ******* kidding me? Why is everything you do aimed at tearing us a new one?

Feedback and Knowledge Base