12 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • sandor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think your could have set this one as completed instead of closed.

The request was to have a colder storage tier with prices equal or lower to amazon Glacier.

As far as I’m concerned the new Archive tier which is available with prices like 0.002 per Gigabyte is answering that need.

It is even actually exceeding it as it provide the convenience of the rich blob storage api where Glacier is a complete different Api compared to S3.

Hope this will help people which might be confused by this status update.

• AK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is the deal? The previous topic called "Amazon Glacier" with 222 votes was closed and this one opened. Please add 222 votes to this one.

And btw comparing cold storage and glacier is a bit unfair since cold storage offers the exact same API as hot storage which is way more convenient than Glacier's vaults.

Yes we definitely need a colder, cheaper tier to azure storage, which would allow cheap long term retention of data (in an agnostic way as storage does).

Glacier is currently 7 euro per To/Month, it is not clear from tarification but it seems it is LRS storage. Azure LRS Cold storage is 8.4 euro per To/Month. This is not a huge difference but it can matter.

Where Azure could make a big difference with a colder tier would be with GRS cold storage is currently 16.9 euros / To / Month and this is quite prohibitive. I think there might be interesting technical solutions to provide extremely resilient cold storage for a cheaper price (with increased data retrieval costs I guess).

• Javier - commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tink that Davi got it. One thing is a backup service and another one is a data retention service. I need to store some data for very long periods (ie: years for legal purposes). Digital signatures, contracts, scanned documents, ...)

Cheers, Javier.

• Sjoerd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

you should be able to select a second tier, tier one is the current backup solution. Tier two a slower with the cooled down storage, and with a low storage price (or not the costs per 50Gb). We currently use a backup solution with a price of 0,05 per GB a month. It has more features (SQL backup, file/folder backup, vm backup, exchange brick level backup and a very good block upload method). It's a bit difficult to move that solution to azure as the costs for backup would quadruple or more.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Google Nearline is also very similar to Glacier - with the same super low cost and data recovery within seconds instead of hours.

• Davi Cavalheiro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Although the two solutions do not have perfectly identical characteristics, the basic principle is similar.

I'm not saying that the price of Azure Backup should be the same as Amazon Glacier, since as you said yourself they are different products.

But Microsoft could create a new product for Azure family , which is similar to Amazon Glacier.

I work for some companies that use many Microsoft Azure services, including the Azure Backup, but when they need a solution to archive old information to historical records, the Amazon Glacier is the one with the best cost benefit. I believe that many other companies have similar needs.

I wish Microsoft had a service like this, because I prefer to work with Microsoft instead of the Amazon, and I think there are others who think so too.

• Davi Cavalheiro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft needs to offer a service similar to Amazon Glacier.
    With the same low prices for storing backups.
    And add the advantage of integration with Windows Backup.

Amazon Glacier is a secure, durable, and extremely low-cost storage service for data archiving and online backup. Customers can reliably store large or small amounts of data for as little as $0.01 per gigabyte per month, a significant savings compared to on-premises solutions. To keep costs low, Amazon Glacier is optimized for infrequently accessed data where a retrieval time of several hours is suitable.

Feedback and Knowledge Base