How can we improve Azure Backup?

move vm from recovery services vault to new vault

I need a way to move a VM from one recovery services vault to another. For example, I want to stop backing up a VM in recovery services vault A, and start backing up the VM in recovery services vault B. At the moment, I can stop backing up the VM, but cannot choose to back it up in the other vault.

164 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • Steven Dian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Shane Wendel - The reason Azure RSVs use GRS storage is so that if there is a site failure within Azure your backups aren't gone. LRS storage for backups would be equivalent to keeping all of your backup data "onsite". Something happens to that site, (yes, the cloud still has a physical location - ok locations) on LRS storage there is the possibility that you would not be able to recover data. I would not recommend keeping backup data on LRS storage even though it is a little cheaper.

• Birkbeck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Azure Backup is the Azure-based service you can use to back up (or protect) and restore your data in the Microsoft cloud. Azure Backup replaces your existing on-premises or off-site backup solution with a cloud-based solution that is reliable, secure, and cost-competitive https://www.upsers.online/

• Shane Wendel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this. I recently discovered that the configuration a vault had changed. You no longer pre-create the storage account ahead of time, it creates it for you. And _of course_ it defaults to the more expensive GRS storage. Luckily I caught it only 3 days into the deployment.

There has to be a way to associate an Instance with a new vault while still retaining the old data.

• sripad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are in badly need of this feature to segregate few backups between Vaults. Hope Azure backups teams consider this feature request and enable it asap.

• Javier Garcés commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I couldn't find the way to do it. The only way to associate a VM to a new Recovery Services vault is to dissasociate and delete all backup data from the old Recovery Services vault.
    What you can do (what I did) is recovering some recovery points as disks and save them in a Storage Account. Then, delete backup data from the old Recovery Services vault and associate the VM to the new Recovery Services vault. Then, after an appropiate amount of time, you can delete the disks stored in the Storage Account.

Feedback and Knowledge Base