How can we improve Azure Backup?

Exclude Disks from VM Backup

Currently it's not possible to exclude Disks from a Hyper-V VM backup. (except using the Exclude Pagefile Disk workaround) to exclude single disks from the backup.

The possibility to exclude disks from a hyper-v vm backup would be a great improvement in case you've really large fileservers or other workloads where another backup mechanism is in place or you simply dont want a backup because of temp data etc.

267 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Heyko shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • Sas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can we exclude a specific disk on Azure Linux VM , which we use for backup purpose .

• Jeremy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

- Very useful when we need to exclude it for another specific temporary volume dedicated for an application for example. But this temp volume for this application must not be clear at every reboot.
    - This feature is also needed to exclude backup already done by another solution.
    Thank you for this feature

• Ralph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, This is a request from 2016 and still nothing has happened. Could please tell us if this is on the roadmap and when the ETA is?

Big thnx to push this forward and get it implemented.

• Azure commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

- Is there a timeline known where MS Azure backup will be able to exclude disks independent of the status of the WA ?
    - Is there a planning / timeline where e-series will be able to enable the write accelerator on the attached premium disks please ?

• Pradeep Chalise commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please implement this solution as it is preventing us from backing up a File server VM with large data disks that we don't want to back up

• Janos Foldvari commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, but what about the originally question? I would like to exclude some disks from a protected VM. In my case the VM is a file server with dedicated disk for VSS shadow copy. But I don't like protect this disk. And I don't like protect the staging drives too. My environment is an on-promis environment with Hyper-V.

• Rozy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very good news if you are using the M-series , as they are currently the only types were you can enable the Write accelerator on the attached premium disks.
    However, we are running SAP on Oracle on Azure, and are using for 90% of the VM’s a e-Series VM. Due to this, we cannot use this option ☹

- Is there a timeline known where MS Azure backup will be able to exclude disks independent of the status of the WA ?
    - Is there a planning / timeline where e-series will be able to enable the write accelerator on the attached premium disks please ?

• Sergey Kovalev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The proposed solution (Write accelerator) is not appropriate at all! It need Premium storage, managed disk, and M size of VM.

• Neil G. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Um - " Write accelerator(WA) enabled disk" would be an Azure VM feature, not a Hyper-V VM backup, correct??

I believe the original post was in regards to MABS/DPM Azure Backup of a VM on a Hyper-V server/cluster , rather than AzureVM.

• Dan Sanchez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please provide MARS agent updates via Microsoft Update Catalog so they can be deployed via WSUS. Currently it has to be updated manually per server.

• Per Schjetne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can someone please share the "Exclude Pagefile Disk workaround"? We have so much data backed up double now (SQL Server), and the cost is starting too big for us. I would love to exclude the disks with SQL data on them. They are backed up in another solution.

• Romas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here: Would be good to exclude volumes from VM backup, as this would allow to leverage between File backup and VM Backup. For e.g. we are already backing up our files in the volumes every 2 hours with file backup, so no point duplicating this data with VM backup every 1 or 2 days.

• sonia gupta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks all for the feedback. We are planning this work item in our upcoming semester for IaaS VMs. It will be great if we can connect with you and understand the requirements better. If interested, you can reach out to us @Ask Azure Backup Team <AskAzureBackupTeam@microsoft.com>.
    You can also share your contact email here for us to get in touch with you. Thanks.

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add support to pick which disk to take backup of. We are running Azure SQL Servers, I dont need to take SQL backup of F: and then snapshot of the same disk again.

The same, I dont want to take snapshot backup of fileservers, when we are using MABS to backup fileservers.

• Artem Danielov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A very important feature! In many cases there are tens of terabytes of data that don't need to be backed up. Need to allow backing up OS disk + only some data disks.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you want alternative then try Ahsay Backup Software. I use this software for backup. Ahsay Backup Software comes with dedicated backup modules for backing up VMware ESXi (both paid and free versions), Microsoft Hyper-V, Microsoft Exchange Server DAG, Microsoft Exchange Server database, Microsoft Exchange Server individual mailboxes, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL Database, Oracle Database, Lotus Domino / Notes, Windows System and Windows System State. Other applications and databases such as Microsoft Sharepoint can also be backed up using our flexible command line tool. You can check this software too. Thanks and check this software http://www.ahsay.com...s_overview&r=1d

• Petri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Finally Azure IaaS VM backup is supported. However that lacks a feature to choose which Azure IaaS VM disks to backup. It would be great to be able to backup only the OS disk of a Iaas VM. For example for SQL Servers the databases on data disks have other means of backup. It's unnecessary and time consuming to backup those data disks with Azure IaaS VM backup.

Feedback and Knowledge Base