How can we improve Azure Backup?

Allow Pausing of Azure Backup

Pausing a large backup, particularly the initial Online backup, would have saved me 4-5 days vs. starting from scratch. Additionally, you can't throttle bandwidth while a backup is running. Pausing would should also allow a change in throttling.

98 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Stephen Wilde shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree, the inability to pause jobs causes headaches when trying to perform initial backups. If you could pause the job (and change the throttle bandwidth mid job) it would make life so much easier.

• Thanos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is also useful to know the percentage of the backup progress, in our azure dashboard or in the agent.

• Thanos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with all of you. We need to have option to pause, resume and also throttling of the backup progress!

• Stephen Wilde commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. My first attempt at the Online backup resulted in failure due to running out of scratch disk space. That was 4 days. The next attempt I needed to stop the backup because I messed up the "business hours" setting for throttling. I'm on the third attempt now. Granted, they were user error, but pausing with the ability to adjust throttling would be a lifesaver.

• Phil Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. Also for small businesses on a poor connection, the backup just kills the internet(sometimes throttling helps), it needs to have a "business hours" period in which the backup stops and then resumes where it left off.

• Ralph Kemperdick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be great, if the Azure Backup Agent Can be paused and resumed without doing a start over from scratch.
    In my Case the initial backup takes three days and after 2.5 days the Network needed urgent maintenance. It could have saved me another 3 days of waiting.

Feedback and Knowledge Base